Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

1 minute ago, biggytaz said:

I think we could go over the 200 for the 1 night if the hotel was good and good location and offered a decent complimentary breakfast!!!. definitely the roman sites over the vatican.

The two hotels I mentioned should be very satisfactory -- friendly, updated, clean, and offer complimentary breakfast. (And remember, cappucino and espresso are included. 😃)

In the interest of time, I suggest you read up on them, decide which appeals more, and book. I quoted you rates from hotel.com but I would suggest going direct to the hotel website as you may get a slightly better deal there. Given the unsettled times I would also suggest NOT booking anything nonrefundable.

Once you have that sussed, we are happy to help you with other things like sightseeing. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Cynthia - isn't there another hotel on the backside of the Pantheon where you stayed and was reasonable?   Albergo Santa Chiara??? 

Yes, but it's a bit higher, would be close to $300 a night for a double at that time of year. 

On 2/28/2022 at 3:57 PM, cruisemom42 said:

The two hotels I mentioned should be very satisfactory -- friendly, updated, clean, and offer complimentary breakfast. (And remember, cappucino and espresso are included. 😃)

In the interest of time, I suggest you read up on them, decide which appeals more, and book. I quoted you rates from hotel.com but I would suggest going direct to the hotel website as you may get a slightly better deal there. Given the unsettled times I would also suggest NOT booking anything nonrefundable.

Once you have that sussed, we are happy to help you with other things like sightseeing. 

We booked Hotel Smeraldo! and i booked Hotel Continental in Barcelona for after the cruise. Now on to figuring out tours at each port! Thanks so much for your help with the hotels!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 5:33 AM, maggietaggie said:

Stuck between deciding on Albergo del Senato and Damaso Hotel.  Staying five nights so any opinions would be greatly appreciated. 

We booked the Albergo for three nights post cruise due to the comments on this board and also we have had friends stay there that really enjoyed it. I love the location. 

• Like 2

On 3/14/2022 at 8:33 AM, maggietaggie said:

Stuck between deciding on Albergo del Senato and Damaso Hotel.  Staying five nights so any opinions would be greatly appreciated. 

I've booked Damaso for my precruise 2 night stay in July.  Reviews and location look great.

Edited by biksgirl

1 hour ago, biksgirl said:

I've booked Damaso for my precruise 2 night stay in July.  Reviews and location look great.

We LOVED Hotel Damoso. The location was wonderful and my Aunt and I had the BEST coffee we have ever had in our life... Regular and decaf. Hubby drinks hot cocoa and it was the best he has ever had. We walked everywhere.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 8:33 AM, maggietaggie said:

I don't think you could go wrong with either as they are both run by the same management. The Albergo del Senato is the "bigger sister" and is right next to the Pantheon, a bit more central to sites on the eastern side such as Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps, etc. Hotel Damaso is closer to Campo dei Fiori which is a market in the mornings and is bustling with good restaurants in the evening.

Hotel Damaso's prices tend to be a bit less, perhaps because it is less well known. 

Less than 10 minutes' walking separates the two -- I'd pick whichever appeals most.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nini said:

We LOVED Hotel Damoso. The location was wonderful and my Aunt and I had the BEST coffee we have ever had in our life... Regular and decaf. Hubby drinks hot cocoa and it was the best he has ever had. We walked everywhere.

Awesome!! This has me even more excited now! Thanks for the personal review 🙂 

After weeks of looking at various hotels and reading comments here...I finally booked our pre-cruise hotel at Albergo del Senato in a superior double (How great to be able to overlook the Pantheon).  Seems to be a wonderful place to begin our anniversary celebration!

• Like 8

We decided on Hotel Damaso.   They were wonderful to work with.  Sent them an e-mail directly, as recommended by cruisemom42 and they were able to secure me a junior suite for 5 nights.
Very excited and if the hotel is as wonderful as the staff I dealt with on this it will be an absolute win-win!  I think it looks like the perfect location for us!!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Please help!  I am feeling overwhelmed looking for hotels for the two of us and our two friends. We are doing two nights pre-cruise in Rome May 19-21. We want to stay city centre - Pantheon, Piazza Navona area. Booking.com has been great but there are so many options of hotels and guest suites (not sure exactly what these are). Can anyone suggest nice, but reasonable places to stay?  We would like to spend no more than 250eur per night. 

13 minutes ago, sillypuppy said:

Please help!  I am feeling overwhelmed looking for hotels for the two of us and our two friends. We are doing two nights pre-cruise in Rome May 19-21. We want to stay city centre - Pantheon, Piazza Navona area. Booking.com has been great but there are so many options of hotels and guest suites (not sure exactly what these are). Can anyone suggest nice, but reasonable places to stay?  We would like to spend no more than 250eur per night. 

First of all please don’t use booking.com. Find a hotel you want and book it directly with the hotel. I have several friends who did not have the room available upon arrival that they booked through booking.com. There are many reasonable hotels posted on this thread. You can easily check reviews if you research them.  Good luck with your search.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sillypuppy said:

So many good recommendations have already been made on this thread. The hotels with the most feedback are mentioned again and again. I suggest you take a few minutes and read through here, maybe jotting a few notes and see if there isn't something that appeals to you.

If you have a specific question or are trying to decide between two different hotels or areas, feel free to post. Or if you're considering a hotel that's not already been discussed.

Two quick points:

• A regular double hotel room in Rome is generally on the smaller side. Often hotels offer a deluxe double room category but read carefully -- "deluxe" may refer to an upgraded view versus being more roomy.
  • Never take the hotel website's description of location as gospel. Go to Google maps and put in the hotel location, then look for various major sites nearby. (This seems particularly true of hotels that like to advertise they are near the Colosseum when in fact they are much nearer to Termini, the major train station -- which is a useful area but not very charming and certainly NOT the same thing.)

Edited to add:   Regarding "guest suites" -- hotels in the center are located in old buildings. Some even take up two or three adjoining old buildings. The size and type of accommodations can vary much more than in "cookie cutter" American hotels. Often hotels will offer special guest suites or rooms in adjoining buildings that may have several rooms (suites) or be self-catering (apartments).  They can be somewhat of a shot in the dark. They may be great, or they may be located further away from things like your morning breakfast, hotel lobby, etc.  If you're considering one, be sure to look for reviews that specifically mention that type of room.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, sillypuppy said:

After much deliberation and reviews, I have decided on the Hotel Navona!  I hope it was a good choice!!

I hope you enjoy it -- I stayed there and liked it very much. It's definitely not a US hotel-type experience but it's quite nice and well run. I actually talked to the owner when I stayed there -- he was checking up on things in the breakfast area -- his family has owned the building where the hotel is located for many generations. He can tell you some interesting history of the place. 😉

The entry access is off the small street named via dei Sediari. It really is just steps from Piazza Navona. You enter through the large access door and are in a courtyard (common in these old palazzos). From there you need to take the elevator up to the designated floor for check-in (can't remember off the top of my head but it should say in your confirmation email).  Yes, it's one of those tiny European elevators. There are stairs also, but with luggage....

Some day when you are going in or going out, notice the entry area -- reused Roman columns. One of the many reasons I love Rome; they just live alongside their history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have friends that are coming with us as well and they went to book the Hotel Navona and they had no rooms left 😞. We must have taken the last one. Any other suggestions of other hotels around the same pricing and location I can look at?

2 hours ago, sillypuppy said:

We have friends that are coming with us as well and they went to book the Hotel Navona and they had no rooms left 😞. We must have taken the last one. Any other suggestions of other hotels around the same pricing and location I can look at?

The majority of hotels mentioned on this thread are within a 10 walk of the hotel you booked.  As @cruisemom42 suggested above, read through this thread for other options.

26 minutes ago, lafroh said:

Does anyone have any experience with the Colosseum Corner Hotel in Rome.  We are cruising in Oct of 2022 and looking at staying there for two days pre cruise?

That’s when we are traveling too. It will be pre-cruise for us on the Edge.  

I hope I'm posting this in the right place.  Just booked a cruise for 10/2023.  We will fly from Kentucky into Rome where the cruise departs.  I've been a few times but the couple we are traveling with have never..  So I want to be there a couple days early to see the sites but also make the cruise.

So some suggestions for hotels would be so appreciated and also...... how far is the cruise terminal from say .. the central area of Rome??  One cruise (years back) we took a train from the port ... but daughter and I, 3 years ago made tour arrangements that met us at the port.

I welcome any advice.  

Beth