Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hi klfhnger -- I have stayed at that particular UNA Hotel twice. It is exceptionally well located IF you are arriving into Rome by train or leaving by train due to its location -- only about 2 blocks walking to reach the passenger entrance to the trains, great if you can handle your own luggage for that length of time on relatively flat sidewalks.

The hotel is large (e.g., many rooms) by Rome standards and does tend to get a number of tour groups, so reception can get very busy. The rooms are modern but I noticed some wear and tear between my first and second stays there. They have an excellent breakfast buffet that is almost American in its variety.

All of that said, I would NOT recommend the hotel if your primary goal is to experience the charm of Rome and be in the midst of the really historic areas. The area around Termini station is not unsafe, but it is also not very charming and tends to feature cheap eateries that are not particularly great (although budget friendly) -- we're talking felafel takeaways and the like with a few dusty classics of Italian cuisine. It's not a place where people tend to walk around in the evenings enjoying the ambiance.

In short, for someone needing a place to stay for a night in between train journeys or someone just coming in from the airport one day and headed to Civitavecchia to get on a boat (by train) the next day, it is one of the better options near Termini.  For any other purpose, it would not be my first choice or recommendation.

Oh wow, thank you so much for the info!! 

We're coming in by plane from Los Angeles, my wife and I. We're also taking my mother and step dad. We're arriving 2 days before a cruise and wanted to get to know SOME of Rome. 

I'm glad I didn't book, based on your comments.

Within the same budget, and close to the sights, what hotels would you recommend ($150 a night range, I know that's not a lot, but there are quite a few places in that range)? I've gone thru all of the posts here, trip advisor, expedia, etc., and can't seem to find the right place. I have ZERO knowledge of Italy (ask me about Mexico, Caribbean, USA, lol, I'll know). So any info/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!!! 🙂

Edited by klfhngr

15 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

Oh wow, thank you so much for the info!! 

We're coming in by plane from Los Angeles, my wife and I. We're also taking my mother and step dad. We're arriving 2 days before a cruise and wanted to get to know SOME of Rome. 

I'm glad I didn't book, based on your comments.

Within the same budget, and close to the sights, what hotels would you recommend? I've gone thru all of the posts here, trip advisor, expedia, etc., and can't seem to find the right place. I have ZERO knowledge of Italy (ask me about Mexico, Caribbean, USA, lol, I'll know). So any info/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!!! 🙂

Some places to consider:

If you are willing to go slightly higher in price, Hotel Artemide is very good & well located; they sometimes have good deals for booking well in advance (or last minute).

Hotel Smeraldo (already mentioned) should be in the same range as UNA. Sometimes they get booked up and then prices get crazy. I wouldn't pay substantially more.

Hotel Ponte Sisto is one I haven't stayed in but have considered -- it looks nice and is a good location near Campo dei Fiori.

If you're sightseeing will include time seeing the ancient Roman sites (Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill, etc.) look at Boutique Hotel Nerva -- nice family hotel and they keep upgrading the property.

Hotel Damaso is also on my radar --it's owned by the same group that owns Albergo del Senato but (at least for now) is less pricey.

If you cannot find anything in this group that suits you, then maybe you can provide more specific details regarding what you're looking for in a hotel.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Some places to consider:

If you are willing to go slightly higher in price, Hotel Artemide is very good & well located; they sometimes have good deals for booking well in advance (or last minute).

Hotel Smeraldo (already mentioned) should be in the same range as UNA. Sometimes they get booked up and then prices get crazy. I wouldn't pay substantially more.

Hotel Ponte Sisto is one I haven't stayed in but have considered -- it looks nice and is a good location near Campo dei Fiori.

If you're sightseeing will include time seeing the ancient Roman sites (Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill, etc.) look at Boutique Hotel Nerva -- nice family hotel and they keep upgrading the property.

Hotel Damaso is also on my radar --it's owned by the same group that owns Albergo del Senato but (at least for now) is less pricey.

If you cannot find anything in this group that suits you, then maybe you can provide more specific details regarding what you're looking for in a hotel.

Cruisemom, thank you so much! I will look at those.

Not looking for anything fancy, but no dump either. We enjoy being out of our rooms, so basically it'll be a place to store luggage, sleep and shower, lol! Wanted to see some of the ruins, not interested in Vatican. We don't mind doing SOME walking (I've had 4 knee surgeries but still manage). Local nearby food would be great. 

51 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

Cruisemom, thank you so much! I will look at those.

Not looking for anything fancy, but no dump either. We enjoy being out of our rooms, so basically it'll be a place to store luggage, sleep and shower, lol! Wanted to see some of the ruins, not interested in Vatican. We don't mind doing SOME walking (I've had 4 knee surgeries but still manage). Local nearby food would be great. 

Hopefully you'll find a match in the ones above. Do keep in mind it's a heavy tourist destination so hotel prices are no bargain and rooms will be on the smaller side. The ones I've liked best are those that are more personable with good service (sometimes family owned) and have good locations. Like you I don't tend to spend a lot of time in my room. There is a certain plus in being in a central hotel in case you need to take a quick mid-day rest, change shoes, drop off a bag, etc.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hopefully you'll find a match in the ones above. Do keep in mind it's a heavy tourist destination so hotel prices are no bargain and rooms will be on the smaller side. The ones I've liked best are those that are more personable with good service (sometimes family owned) and have good locations. Like you I don't tend to spend a lot of time in my room. There is a certain plus in being in a central hotel in case you need to take a quick mid-day rest, change shoes, drop off a bag, etc.

Good luck!

Thanks again!

On 1/6/2022 at 6:59 PM, klfhngr said:

SORRY! I just came across this one: UNAWAY Hotel Empire Roma

Is that good spot and hotel? Sorry!!!!

It's even more out of the way than the other UNAWAY.

Go to a hotel booking website and look at the location in the map of the hotels suggested by cruisemom. Then look in that same neighborhood for others if you want to. Also use filters such as "near the Pantheon" or "Forum."

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, klfhngr said:

Going over these:

Hotel Smeraldo

UNAWAY Hotel Empire Roma

Hotel Barrett

Albergo delle Regioni

I do not know the UNAWAY Hotel Empire Roma, but the location is just north of Termini, at the beginning of what was once the oh-so-chic Via Veneto area. The location is not so great in my opinion although some like the via Veneto area for its faded glamour.  You are much better off looking for hotels in the area roughly bounded by the Trevi Fountain to the east and Piazza Navona/Campo dei Fiori to the west.  Piazza del Popolo to the north, and the Colosseum/Forum area to the south. This is the prime tourist area.

Hotel Barrett -- I had not heard of this one. The location is excellent. Sounds like it's not really a full-service hotel. The breakfast seems to be made from food stocked in your room and there is no elevator. Sounds rather unique; it might be interesting but could also be a bit of a gamble. Largo Argentina is a bus hub, which is nice, and it is central to many of the neighborhoods with good restaurant options (including the Jewish ghetto for the traditional artichokes).  One other observation is that there does seem to be a gathering point for a certain number of homeless persons nearby.  That has been true the last two times I visited but due to COVID I have not been there since early 2020.

Albergo delle Regioni -- this definitely sounds like the kind of place I'd try. It's got a nice location and as long as you keep expectations modest re: room size, it seems to have good reviews for the type of hotel it is (e.g., three stars).  If you end up not booking Hotel Smeraldo, this is the one on your list that I'd vote for.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2022 at 7:20 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I do not know the UNAWAY Hotel Empire Roma, but the location is just north of Termini, at the beginning of what was once the oh-so-chic Via Veneto area. The location is not so great in my opinion although some like the via Veneto area for its faded glamour.  You are much better off looking for hotels in the area roughly bounded by the Trevi Fountain to the east and Piazza Navona/Campo dei Fiori to the west.  Piazza del Popolo to the north, and the Colosseum/Forum area to the south. This is the prime tourist area.

Hotel Barrett -- I had not heard of this one. The location is excellent. Sounds like it's not really a full-service hotel. The breakfast seems to be made from food stocked in your room and there is no elevator. Sounds rather unique; it might be interesting but could also be a bit of a gamble. Largo Argentina is a bus hub, which is nice, and it is central to many of the neighborhoods with good restaurant options (including the Jewish ghetto for the traditional artichokes).  One other observation is that there does seem to be a gathering point for a certain number of homeless persons nearby.  That has been true the last two times I visited but due to COVID I have not been there since early 2020.

Albergo delle Regioni -- this definitely sounds like the kind of place I'd try. It's got a nice location and as long as you keep expectations modest re: room size, it seems to have good reviews for the type of hotel it is (e.g., three stars).  If you end up not booking Hotel Smeraldo, this is the one on your list that I'd vote for.  

Thank you so much, you don't know how much I appreciate this! It's either Smeraldo or Albergo! I'm driving myself nuts looking and not knowing the areas!!! Ugh, lol!

Well, it's the Albergo del Senato! My wife and mom want to stay there, they're fine with the price, being that we'll be right in the center of everything! Thanks all and special thanks to cruisemom!!!

If you guys ever need help with Mexico or the Carribean or what it's like missing the ship, hit me up!!!! 😉 I have experience with those, lol!

Edited by klfhngr
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

Ugh, back to the drawing board! Wife wants to stay somewhere nice(r)! Albergo del Senato is a little to pricey, so looking for something a little below that. For 2 nights, it's $773 (May 11-13).

Consider:

Albergo Santa Chiara

Or

Hotel Navona

Either will give a good stay at a lower price point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, klfhngr said:

Well, it's the Albergo del Senato! My wife and mom want to stay there, they're fine with the price, being that we'll be right in the center of everything! Thanks all and special thanks to cruisemom!!!

We booked the Albergo del Senato due to the advice in this post. We'll be staying there in May (same time you'll be there) for 8 nights (6 nights in a Penthouse Suite). It definitely is pricey but we decided to splurge due to the location and the view! 🙂 I found that most hotels I looked at in Rome were pricey though so if you gotta spend that money, might as well go with what the wife wants!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Consider:

Albergo Santa Chiara

Or

Hotel Navona

Either will give a good stay at a lower price point.

Albergo Santa Chiara is pretty close to Albergo del Senato -- both in terms of location and in terms of experience, but AdS just rates that extra bit more (at least to me!)

I have stayed at all three and I have to say that Hotel Navona, while an excellent little hotel and enjoyable is not, to me, quite the same.  It's a much more European experience, with the hotel occupying several but not all floors of a beautiful old palazzo. The Hotel Navona lacks the pretty and elegant reception area and spaces that the other two have. And the room furnishings/fittings, while very well updated, are not the same quality.

Again -- nothing against Hotel Navona, I would be happy to stay there again.

22 hours ago, Scottee25 said:

We booked the Albergo del Senato due to the advice in this post. We'll be staying there in May (same time you'll be there) for 8 nights (6 nights in a Penthouse Suite). It definitely is pricey but we decided to splurge due to the location and the view! 🙂 I found that most hotels I looked at in Rome were pricey though so if you gotta spend that money, might as well go with what the wife wants!

Nice, we'll be looking for you!

I decided based on comments from cruisemom and others. Well, wife and mom decided, lol. I left it up to them, I'm easy!

Hope you enjoy your stay!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, linerode said:

We are crusing in September 22 and looking at hotels but also have a question abuot how to get from the hotel to the port, which I think is about 2 hours away. Any suggestions?

As discussed here frequently, there are several ways to get to the port, which is 75 or so minutes away, depending on where you stay.

Train is possible, if you can manage your luggage.

Commonly discussed are many different vendors for private or shared transport. Rome in Limo is one we have used, and gets a lot of reviews here. There are several others available as well.

42 minutes ago, linerode said:

We are crusing in September 22 and looking at hotels but also have a question abuot how to get from the hotel to the port, which I think is about 2 hours away. Any suggestions?

Some points that cruisers new to Civitavecchia departures are often not aware of:

• Rome hotels do not offer free transportation to the port.
  • Civitavecchia is about 75 to 90 minutes from the center of Rome, depending on time of day and traffic.
  • You should plan to spend at least two nights in Rome (three is better) prior to your cruise or else you'll see nothin of this wonderful city.
  • Plan to stay IN Rome, don't stay in Civitavecchia -- hotels are passable there but not much else and really there is NO problem getting to the port in time for your cruise when staying in Rome. (Ditto for staying at the airport -- just don't do it.)
  • The least expensive option to get to the port is the train, but it can also be a hassle as you have to get to the train station somehow (taxi usually), then on and off the train, possibly up and down a flight of stairs at the arrival train station in Civitavecchia, then a bus to the port gates and yet another bus to go within the port to your ship.  
  • You can arrange private transportation (or your hotel can arrange it for you) for just your party. Or you can look at your roll call and possibly find someone in a nearby hotel to share transportation with to the port.
  • As this is primarily a thread about hotels, I would suggest looking at the many other threads in this forum discussing private transfers. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hoping cruisemom42 sees this question…. 😊

My DW and I have decided to stay at Hotel Artemide in Rome and Hotel Papadopoli Venezia in Venice. How do you recommend making the reservations? Are there benefits to calling the hotels and booking the rooms over the phone?  🤔

Edited by Gimpy McFarlan

19 minutes ago, Gimpy McFarlan said:

Hoping cruisemom42 sees this question…. 😊

My DW and I have decided to stay at Hotel Artemide in Rome and Hotel Papadopoli Venezia in Venice. How do you recommend making the reservations? Are there benefits to calling the hotels and booking the rooms over the phone?  🤔

Great choices. 

I usually book via email directly to the hotel. I like to have things written (for reference) and I feel I've always gotten a very good response. Just anecdotal, but when I first started traveling I used some of the well-known hotel consolidators. Since I started booking direct with the hotel I feel I get a better room assigned. I assume that's because when booking direct there is no "bite" (fee) taken out of the payment by the consolidator. If it's one thing Italians love it's getting rid of the middle-man!

• Haha 1

Hello we have stayed at the Savoy.

“While the hotel should be nice, the location would not be one that I'd choose if you want to really enjoy Rome.  It's too out of the way forwalking to the main sites of the Centro Storico (unless you REALLY likewalking....) l”

We found it to be a nice hotel if a little dated but, that was back in 2018 when we stayed 4 nights pre cruise. One of the things we did think was a good thing was to  buy a 3 day hop on hop off tour bus ticket.

They are very frequent and we just got on and got off to where  we wanted to see and then get back on to go back to the hotel  or another area or just walked till we were ready to go back to the hotel if needed. We also used them to help plan where we would go next. We walked quite easily to the Trevi Fountain from the Savoy and my wife was very happy browsing the shops on the way.

I would say that the location for us anyway was OK, the room had a nice view and we had a nice meal in their restaurant. 
The service was very good and there is a computer to print boarding passes and check and print any documents from your email account.
We are visiting Rome again in September and I booked the Westin Excelsior ages ago using the Marriott app and reserved a room using my CC which can be cancelled up to 48 hours before arrival.  Am I glad I did, I booked our flights yesterday and looked at hotels again. Wow the prices have gone through the roof.

The same room for the same dates has risen by €210 per night. Just want to say this is a great thread thank you for all the information 👍

Edited by swigso