Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

• 1 month later...

CruiseMom42,

We can’t thank you enough for recommending Alberto del Senato. We have been here a couple days and just love it.  Everything about it is so special and the staff are awesome.  This is our last day here. We will miss our gorgeous Pantheon view. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MVPinBoynton said:

CruiseMom42,

We can’t thank you enough for recommending Alberto del Senato. We have been here a couple days and just love it.  Everything about it is so special and the staff are awesome.  This is our last day here. We will miss our gorgeous Pantheon view. 

My thanks to her and to you as well.  We're booked there next June with (we're told) a Pantheon view.  Are there many rooms with a full view of the Pantheon?

20 hours ago, MVPinBoynton said:

CruiseMom42,

I am booked at the Albergo del Senato next year as well.  Can you tell me a little about electric outlets in the rooms:  Do they have US plugs? Any USB ports?  Thanks.

3 hours ago, mchell810 said:

I am booked at the Albergo del Senato next year as well.  Can you tell me a little about electric outlets in the rooms:  Do they have US plugs? Any USB ports?  Thanks.

All plugs, other than bathroom are European.  They do have a USB port on either side of the bed.  

Edited by MVPinBoynton

11 hours ago, riffatsea said:

I would expect to need an adapter for your devices as Italy and the rest of Europe do not have USA electricity or USA outlets

Quite true. And it's a good idea to know whether your devices only need an adaptor or whether they also need a converter (that is, they are not designed to switch currencies).  Most modern electronics do not need a converter, but some hair appliances, unless they are designated a 'dual voltage' will need one. 

One other thing about European hotels that surprises a lot of American tourists:  in hotels in Europe face cloths (e.g. "wash cloths") aren't generally provided because (I gather) Europeans don't use them.

Edited by cruisemom42

53 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Quite true. And it's a good idea to know whether your devices only need an adaptor or whether they also need a converter (that is, they are not designed to switch currencies).  Most modern electronics do not need a converter, but some hair appliances, unless they are designated a 'dual voltage' will need one. 

One other thing about European hotels that surprises a lot of American tourists:  in hotels in Europe face cloths (e.g. "wash cloths") aren't generally provided because (I gather) Europeans don't use them.

Thanks for the reminder!  I forgot about the face cloth thing...

The other thing about European hotel rooms - many of them require you to put a room card or some other kind of "credit card' into a slot by the front door to enable electricity to the room.  I just bring an old room key from my travels and use it.  

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

My UK SIL calls a face cloth a flannel. 

24 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Albergo del Senato is across the piazza from the big sinkhole and the deli/pasticeria, right?   That deli is a good place to pick up a snack!!!

Yes indeed. Antica Salumeria.  Their porchetta is so good as a quick, on-the-go lunch.

Also very close to two of the three venerable "coffee heaven" places -- Sant' Eustachio and Tazza d'Oro.

For those thinking of booking at Albergo del Senato there is an ongoing "Live From" thread right now from someone on an Azamara cruise who stayed in the hotel pre-cruise and clearly enjoyed it (despite a rocky start to their trip):

And no, I promise I am not a paid spokesperson. Just someone who's stayed there multiple times!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have stayed at Alberge del Senato twice, and am booked to stay there May 2022. It deserves all the love it’s getting.

I first found this hotel about ten years ago on trip advisor, back when trip advisor was a great place to find great hotels and restaurants. (Sadly, I think trip advisor is not so useful anymore)

My perspective of this hotel- the ONLY thing better than the location of this hotel is the STAFF. They are outstanding. Ok, right up there is sipping a Bellini on the rooftop bar staring out to see the dome of St Peters. Hang on, maybe it’s the view out your window looking down on to the pantheon square, watching the world go by. Or, you can take your breakfast cappuccino out front and sit on the little tables set up there for guests. Oh yes, breakfast, that’s so darn good too. Wait, no, it’s the fabulous coffee shop and geleteria that is located right by the hotel that makes the stay so perfect. Hmmm, one can’t down play the taxi stand that is 30 seconds away from the hotel either, so convenient to take to the Vatican, or the Colosseum if your feet are tired. Maybe it’s that quirky elevator that fits two people max at a time that amuses me so much, or the unique bedroom decor, or the windy weird staircases and paths to your room or the rooftop bar…or the fact that there are no screens on the bedroom windows so when you open them, your view is totally unobstructed…

A previous poster mentioned it’s very noisy at the pantheon square, all day and into the evening. It is a very busy square, and this is a valid observation. If a quiet atmosphere is what you want, you can ask for a room high up. I never heard anything with the windows closed.

Also, a quick shout out to Cruisemom, you rock! Your information and helpfulness is amazing! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, konatyme said:

Does anyone know anything about the Hotel Pantheon?

Konatyme, I know nothing of it from personal experience but I know where it is located -- very close to the Pantheon. It appears to be the typical kind of local hotel of old, e.g., it operates on a couple of upper floors of an old building, not the entire building. The reviews are very mixed, but mentioned repeatedly are the street noise and also the fact that the A/C seems inadequate (at least by stands of American travelers) when it is really hot. Having looked at photos on review sites, the rooms on the uppermost floor appear to have skylights rather than real windows. I am also a bit unsure whether there is even an elevator as it is not mentioned in the hotel amenities -- and in this kind of hotel one can't take it for granted.

Having said that, I might book it at a very low price if I were on a budget and still wanted the great location. However I tend to visit Rome in the off seasons (not the hot months) and street noise doesn't bother me much.

What would concern me more are some references to the hotel purposely overbooking and then shuttling customers to a sort of annexe building. 

I would suggest you read a few pages of reviews on Tripadvisor and other sites and get a general feeling for what reviewers say. There are certainly some good reviews as well as the bad....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

First time visitor to Rome next May.  Looking for suggestions for a family hotel near city center that would sleep 5 people (no babies/toddlers).  Mid-range budget.  We plan to spend a few days in Rome after our cruise, and then will be flying out of FCO to continue our travels.  Will have a large amount of luggage with us, since it's an international move for us and not just a holiday, so I'm also considering the logistics of getting to/from cruise terminal and then to airport afterward with all our bags.  Perhaps it would be better to stay closer to Termini station to have easy access to the train when we're leaving... any suggestions welcome!

2 hours ago, highlandsfam said:

First time visitor to Rome next May.  Looking for suggestions for a family hotel near city center that would sleep 5 people (no babies/toddlers).  Mid-range budget.  We plan to spend a few days in Rome after our cruise, and then will be flying out of FCO to continue our travels.  Will have a large amount of luggage with us, since it's an international move for us and not just a holiday, so I'm also considering the logistics of getting to/from cruise terminal and then to airport afterward with all our bags.  Perhaps it would be better to stay closer to Termini station to have easy access to the train when we're leaving... any suggestions welcome!

Just based on your description, I would consider looking for an apartment rather than a hotel. Even finding a triple or quad is not always easy in Rome hotels in the center, and rooms tend to be small if you have lots of luggage. If you could use two connecting rooms that would make it a bit easier, but luggage may still get in your way....

As a solo traveler I generally stay in hotels but there are others who prefer rentals and there are several clearinghouses for rental properties. Often they do not require a full week but may have a several day minimum. Be sure to look for ones with an elevator (the luggage again). 

If you are coming and going by train, then Termini is an option. But there are also transfer options to Civitavecchia that are much easier than the train with lots of luggage. At the Civitavecchia station there is no elevator or escalator and in all likelihood you'll have to get all your luggage down a full flight of stairs and then up again (as you have pass under the railroad tracks).

Rome Cabs will pick you up at the pier in a van and take you to your hotel for 160 euros. 

https://www.romecabs.com/transferservice/civitavecchia/

They can also take you to the airport.  This is not only more convenient, but maybe not that much more expensive than DIY. Don't forget that to get to the train station from port or hotel you may need taxis and most taxis will not carry 5 people plus lots of luggage so you might need 2 or 3 taxis.  Rome Cabs will have the right size vehicle for you.  Other transfer services will do the same. Compare prices.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

Hello, is anyone familiar with UNAHOTELS Deco Roma or the location? Recommended?

Hi klfhnger -- I have stayed at that particular UNA Hotel twice. It is exceptionally well located IF you are arriving into Rome by train or leaving by train due to its location -- only about 2 blocks walking to reach the passenger entrance to the trains, great if you can handle your own luggage for that length of time on relatively flat sidewalks.

The hotel is large (e.g., many rooms) by Rome standards and does tend to get a number of tour groups, so reception can get very busy. The rooms are modern but I noticed some wear and tear between my first and second stays there. They have an excellent breakfast buffet that is almost American in its variety.

All of that said, I would NOT recommend the hotel if your primary goal is to experience the charm of Rome and be in the midst of the really historic areas. The area around Termini station is not unsafe, but it is also not very charming and tends to feature cheap eateries that are not particularly great (although budget friendly) -- we're talking felafel takeaways and the like with a few dusty classics of Italian cuisine. It's not a place where people tend to walk around in the evenings enjoying the ambiance.

In short, for someone needing a place to stay for a night in between train journeys or someone just coming in from the airport one day and headed to Civitavecchia to get on a boat (by train) the next day, it is one of the better options near Termini.  For any other purpose, it would not be my first choice or recommendation.

• Thanks 1