Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

Heheheh…..hey he is hungry lol!
I did ask if the roof top would be open for us to go up ( with or without service up there ) but I felt like they struggled with the answer.

first answer was well we are weather dependent….and second when I asked if we could on our own…was well we should be open with service if the weather is nice.

so sorry I did not have luck with clarification 

cheers

brockmom

We are doing b2b cruises (one NCL and one MSC) summer 2022.  Porting out of Civitavecchia but planning to spend a few nights in Rome beforehand.  My husband cannot walk without aids:  walker for short distances and a mobility scooter the rest of the time. We have spent a couple of months poring over hotel suggestions and descriptions here on CC as well as other sites like TripAdvisor because of the ability to see photos and read reviews specific to our needs.  

We don't need an HA room but do need an elevator that is large enough to accommodate his scooter.  It isn't particularly large but we have encountered elevators in other European hotels that presented issues.  We realize that many of the lovely hotels in Rome are refurbished older buildings and must deal with the footprint they have to work with. But, we have stayed in some perfect, for us,  properties (Hotel 1898 in Barcelona comes to mind) that gave us a most enjoyable week pre-cruise.  

Most of the properties mentioned on here don't appear that they would work for us.  I did find the Roma Palazzo Cinquecento but I don't know much about it yet.  I have read a review that specifically mentions a large elevator so that is encouraging.  Does anyone have any thoughts about this property? @cruisemom42?  Any other hotels that immediately come to mind?  We are willing to spend 250-300 euros nightly for a room with a view and breakfast included if that helps. We would also be willing to spend less! 😉

On 7/14/2021 at 10:28 PM, cruisemom42 said:

This one's enjoying one of the finest views over Rome on the terrace of the Capitoline museums:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7b.thumb.jpg.6e7dbe76249abe08c77de01f2a4bea0d.jpg

This guy's brother spent the summer of 2019 in Barcelona on a rooftop terrace there!

20190620_175548.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pno4te said:

We are doing b2b cruises (one NCL and one MSC) summer 2022.  Porting out of Civitavecchia but planning to spend a few nights in Rome beforehand.  My husband cannot walk without aids:  walker for short distances and a mobility scooter the rest of the time. We have spent a couple of months poring over hotel suggestions and descriptions here on CC as well as other sites like TripAdvisor because of the ability to see photos and read reviews specific to our needs.  

We don't need an HA room but do need an elevator that is large enough to accommodate his scooter.  It isn't particularly large but we have encountered elevators in other European hotels that presented issues.  We realize that many of the lovely hotels in Rome are refurbished older buildings and must deal with the footprint they have to work with. But, we have stayed in some perfect, for us,  properties (Hotel 1898 in Barcelona comes to mind) that gave us a most enjoyable week pre-cruise.  

Most of the properties mentioned on here don't appear that they would work for us.  I did find the Roma Palazzo Cinquecento but I don't know much about it yet.  I have read a review that specifically mentions a large elevator so that is encouraging.  Does anyone have any thoughts about this property? @cruisemom42?  Any other hotels that immediately come to mind?  We are willing to spend 250-300 euros nightly for a room with a view and breakfast included if that helps. We would also be willing to spend less! 😉

Can I ask a few follow-up questions?  I'm not extremely familiar with the size of a scooter versus a manual wheelchair -- is it larger? wider?  I often see hotels state that a wheelchair will fit in their elevator but I'm not sure whether that is enough space.

And is it more important to you to be in a scooter-friendly central area for sightseeing or to have a room with a view?

With that info I may be able to give some suggestions. @euro cruiser, who also posts frequently here, has traveled with family members that have mobility issues and may also be able to help.

I'm trying to remember if I've ever encountered an elevator that couldn't accommodate my aunt's scooter, I don't think so.   The issue is whether it will accommodate the scooter and another person and luggage, that I've seen plenty of.  I remember one small place in Venice where she always had to use the elevator alone with her scooter while the rest of us waited and dealt with the luggage and ourselves on the next run.

In addition to the size of the elevator, confirm the pathway from the exterior of the hotel has no steps to navigate...or has a ramp if they do.  It seems that many Rome hotels where we've stayed have had steps along the way...one having to walk up a half a flight of stairs to access the elevator.

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I'm trying to remember if I've ever encountered an elevator that couldn't accommodate my aunt's scooter, I don't think so.   The issue is whether it will accommodate the scooter and another person and luggage, that I've seen plenty of.  I remember one small place in Venice where she always had to use the elevator alone with her scooter while the rest of us waited and dealt with the luggage and ourselves on the next run.

We dealt with that at the Best Western near the airport in Barcelona!  Got Bob on the elevator and pushed the button but when he got to the correct floor he couldn't turn around enough to keep the door open! Imagine my surprise when he showed up back on the lobby level. 🤣

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Can I ask a few follow-up questions?  I'm not extremely familiar with the size of a scooter versus a manual wheelchair -- is it larger? wider?  I often see hotels state that a wheelchair will fit in their elevator but I'm not sure whether that is enough space.

And is it more important to you to be in a scooter-friendly central area for sightseeing or to have a room with a view?

With that info I may be able to give some suggestions. @euro cruiser, who also posts frequently here, has traveled with family members that have mobility issues and may also be able to help.

The scooter is narrower than a wheelchair, but is 37" long.  It fits easily in a regular doorway but the length is the issue.  If we maneuver it really well I can often scoot in alongside in a narrow elevator but the depth has been the problem we have encountered before.  We have seen photos of travelers in wheelchairs in the elevator of a property and known immediately that it wouldn't work for his scooter.

Scooter-friendly area is good.  We love having a view, but being able to go out our hotel door and stroll around is good.  I will say that Bob was not a fan of the cobblestones on many areas in Florence and he would have chosen a room with a view over being able to go out and explore.  

13 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

In addition to the size of the elevator, confirm the pathway from the exterior of the hotel has no steps to navigate...or has a ramp if they do.  It seems that many Rome hotels where we've stayed have had steps along the way...one having to walk up a half a flight of stairs to access the elevator.

And this is also an issue.  Although Bob could physically manage a couple of steps with assistance I cannot physically carry the scooter up! 

We have unloaded a taxi before and I have set up the scooter on the higher level of a hotel or restaurant entrance and then Bob has used his walker and me to go up a couple of steps to reach the scooter.  But that would not be ideal every time we came or went.

Thanks for the reminder that a ramp would be beneficial.  

14 hours ago, pno4te said:

I did find the Roma Palazzo Cinquecento but I don't know much about it yet.  I have read a review that specifically mentions a large elevator so that is encouraging.  Does anyone have any thoughts about this property?

While I was waiting for your reply, I did look up this hotel.  I didn't recognize the name but now that I've mapped it I know just where it is. It is quite near Termini station, Rome's largest transportation hub with large train station, metro stop for two lines, and bus depot. While it is possible that you might be given a Rome with a view over the Roman remains, it is also likely that you may get one overlooking the train tracks or bus depot....

I will look for other alternatives to suggest. Given your reply just now I think that you'll probably need to narrow it down to a short list and then contact the hotels directly and ask them for measurements of the elevator.

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

While I was waiting for your reply, I did look up this hotel.  I didn't recognize the name but now that I've mapped it I know just where it is. It is quite near Termini station, Rome's largest transportation hub with large train station, metro stop for two lines, and bus depot. While it is possible that you might be given a Rome with a view over the Roman remains, it is also likely that you may get one overlooking the train tracks or bus depot....

I will look for other alternatives to suggest. Given your reply just now I think that you'll probably need to narrow it down to a short list and then contact the hotels directly and ask them for measurements of the elevator.

Thank you so much for the assist.  That is what we have been trying to do, but our short list was still WAY too long!!  

Here is one suggestion: Hotel Artemide. I have not stayed there personally, but I do know someone who also visits Rome frequently and it is her hotel of choice. From what I've seen of it, it is somewhat like the del Senato (although larger), i.e., a "grand Italian style" hotel. I slightly prefer a loction closer to the Pantheon itself, but this location is also very good.

So in summary I'd recommend this hotel even without the additional considerations of the scooter. But after your email I saw this article and it convinced me that Artemide would be a good option for you and your husband to consider. Especially given the roof-top terrace.  It sounds as if the elevators would be fine.  Here's a link:

https://theglobeonwheels.com/2016/07/25/hotel-artemide-a-wheelchair-accessible-hotel-in-rome/

• Like 2

pno4te-

Also, as you probably know, many of the streets are cobblestone. We did much walking everywhere, and would (lovingly) joke about the streets and needing to be careful to not twist our ankles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Here is one suggestion: Hotel Artemide. I have not stayed there personally, but I do know someone who also visits Rome frequently and it is her hotel of choice. From what I've seen of it, it is somewhat like the del Senato (although larger), i.e., a "grand Italian style" hotel. I slightly prefer a loction closer to the Pantheon itself, but this location is also very good.

So in summary I'd recommend this hotel even without the additional considerations of the scooter. But after your email I saw this article and it convinced me that Artemide would be a good option for you and your husband to consider. Especially given the roof-top terrace.  It sounds as if the elevators would be fine.  Here's a link:

https://theglobeonwheels.com/2016/07/25/hotel-artemide-a-wheelchair-accessible-hotel-in-rome/

That is one hotel already on our list but not yet "vetted" with an email to the staff.  So thanks for the confirmation.  The link is very helpful; just what we look for!  She is quite an impressive young woman, isn't she?  

1 hour ago, nini said:

pno4te-

Also, as you probably know, many of the streets are cobblestone. We did much walking everywhere, and would (lovingly) joke about the streets and needing to be careful to not twist our ankles.

Darn those Europeans for not paving everything over so it's nice and smooth... 😉

When it gets too rough for his liking he happily finds a lovely spot to pull over and enjoy some gelato while I go off and explore.  Only problem is that he then has to listen to me wax poetic.  Poor man! He is just happy being there while I want to explore every nook and cranny.  

3 minutes ago, pno4te said:

Darn those Europeans for not paving everything over so it's nice and smooth... 😉

When it gets too rough for his liking he happily finds a lovely spot to pull over and enjoy some gelato while I go off and explore.  Only problem is that he then has to listen to me wax poetic.  Poor man! He is just happy being there while I want to explore every nook and cranny.  

Great! You sound like a good team! I hope you find exactly what you need and enjoy.

• Like 2

We will be traveling to Rome in the spring. The cruise a two night stay in Hotel Savoy. We plan on staying an additional two nights and can get a good rate at Hotel Savoy. Before I lock that in, can anyone comment on the hotel? It’s location, accommodations, and amenities. 
TIA

For me, it is too far removed from the places we enjoy visiting. We stayed in a place next to the Campo de Fiori area and walked to the Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill, the Trastevere area, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain. We walked back from our Vatican tour, but had taken a taxi in the early am because it was still dark outside.

Also, if you have never been to Rome, I would suggest staying at least 3 nights. The Hotel Savoy looks lovely though.

• Like 1

Thanks nini, appreciate the advice. 
We will have a full day in Rome with tours as part of the small (50 pax) ship cruise we will be on. We will then stay two additional days on our own. I was hoping to avoid switching hotels. But location, location, location.

ETA: what is the name of the place you stayed?

Edited by CPT Trips

On 5/23/2021 at 8:24 PM, JennJ99738 said:

I did!  But they're really high right now.  The Smeraldo is, and I'm not kidding, € 1100.16 for 2 nights right now in their cheapest room for 2 people.  A little rich for my blood!

I just looked at it . . . better prices now

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

Thanks nini, appreciate the advice. 
We will have a full day in Rome with tours as part of the small (50 pax) ship cruise we will be on. We will then stay two additional days on our own. I was hoping to avoid switching hotels. But location, location, location.

ETA: what is the name of the place you stayed?

We stayed at Hotel Damaso. It is on one of the main roads through Rome (not noisy though). The have a rooftop area (not formal) and the best coffee (regular and decaf) that we have EVER had in our entire life! My husband had the BEST Hot Chocolate EVER!

This is a fabulous, helpful with many kind people responding. I’ve been able to narrow down the area we would like to stay in Rome, but I do have a question about a phrase that I’ve seen on a few of the hotel sites: “...cancellable with increase in the value up to 20%.” Could someone clarify what that means?

Thank you!

16 minutes ago, scrapcreator said:

This is a fabulous, helpful with many kind people responding. I’ve been able to narrow down the area we would like to stay in Rome, but I do have a question about a phrase that I’ve seen on a few of the hotel sites: “...cancellable with increase in the value up to 20%.” Could someone clarify what that means?

Thank you!

I’m guessing but does that mean transferable to another date that costs more?   Best to check with the hotel.  I like these things in writing.