Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

18 minutes ago, scrapcreator said:

This is a fabulous, helpful with many kind people responding. I’ve been able to narrow down the area we would like to stay in Rome, but I do have a question about a phrase that I’ve seen on a few of the hotel sites: “...cancellable with increase in the value up to 20%.” Could someone clarify what that means?

Thank you!

Looks familiar...Albergo del Senato right?  I don't understand it so I don't book that rate.

I suggest you email them directly if you'd like an accurate explanation.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, scrapcreator said:

This is a fabulous, helpful with many kind people responding. I’ve been able to narrow down the area we would like to stay in Rome, but I do have a question about a phrase that I’ve seen on a few of the hotel sites: “...cancellable with increase in the value up to 20%.” Could someone clarify what that means?

Thank you!

There are different rates at which you can book. The least expensive has the greatest risk, should you need to cancel, because you will lose all of the money you paid up front. You will not get a refund Even though it costs more (typically the highest rate), we book so that there is no risk if we need to cancel.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, scrapcreator said:

Thank you!

High level it means this...

You book a reservation that costs $1,000. You need to cancel. You are still charged the $1,000 but are given a credit of $1,200 for a future booking.

Read the fine print as you may be required to use that credit within 12 months.

Thank you all for your input. I’m waiting on a reply from the hotel. At this point in time, I prefer refundable to non-refundable.

I did hear back from another hotel we were considering, Hotel Due Torri. They are going to remain closed until March 2022. I’ll have no idea what their rates will be until sometime in December.

On 7/27/2020 at 5:13 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Both of the hotels you list have far from ideal locations for being central to the sites in Rome. If you stay in the Centro Storico, there is no need to use a company like Rome in Limo (which is primarily a driver service) to take you around -- you can walk.

Sina is a very good Italian hotel chain but the location is near Via Veneto which is a somewhat quiet area and this area is not really central, e.g., a long walk to get to where you want to be.

I'm not familiar with Hotel Santa Maria, but it is in Trastevere. While lively at night, Trastevere is also not ideally located for seeing the major sites of Rome.

I would look for a hotel near the Pantheon, Piazza Navona or Campo dei Fiori area (these are relatively close to each other).  Nothing is better in Rome than being in the Centro -- it is lively in the evenings and safe to walk around, many restaurants and of course -- you are near everything except the Vatican.

Some hotels I've stayed in and recommended many times are Albergo del Senato and Albergo Santa Chiara -- both are extremely well situated next to the Pantheon. I have other suggestions if those are above budget.

Based upon your recommendations we booked the Albergo del Senato for three nights in May after our cruise on the Edge. The location looks absolutely perfect. Thanks for the suggestion. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Based upon your recommendations we booked the Albergo del Senato for three nights in May after our cruise on the Edge. The location looks absolutely perfect. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Without going back and sifting through all the posts, will you please say what is near the hotel?  Thanks.

We have now booked Hotel Ponte Sisto for our stay next June. It looks beautiful, has good reviews and the price worked for us. Now to arrange the transportation from the port to the hotel. Thanks to the information here, I have several choices.

I did hear back from the other hotel. It was a nonrefundable prepayment but the reservation is flexible up to a year of the original date with a voucher up to 120% of the amount paid. 

Thanks again for all of your helpful advice!

12 hours ago, midwestchick said:

Without going back and sifting through all the posts, will you please say what is near the hotel?  Thanks.

It faces the Pantheon. Piazza Navona is about a 5-7 minute walk at reasonable pace. In the other direction, Trevi fountain can be reached in less than 10 minutes. Largo Argentina is also very close.

It is a slightly longer walk (about 15 minutes) to the Roman forum; add on another 5 minutes along the same route to reach the Colosseum.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 11:11 PM, ML24 said:

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Savoy Rome?  Thanks!

I’m nosy, I was going to say curious but honesty got the better of me. Are you traveling as part of an OAT cruisetour?

On 7/25/2021 at 7:10 PM, CPT Trips said:

I’m nosy, I was going to say curious but honesty got the better of me. Are you traveling as part of an OAT cruisetour?

On 7/21/2021 at 10:17 AM, cruisemom42 said:

It faces the Pantheon. Piazza Navona is about a 5-7 minute walk at reasonable pace. In the other direction, Trevi fountain can be reached in less than 10 minutes. Largo Argentina is also very close.

It is a slightly longer walk (about 15 minutes) to the Roman forum; add on another 5 minutes along the same route to reach the Colosseum.

Thank you so much. How far is it from the Trastevere area?  I’d like to see that area this trip.

On 7/21/2021 at 10:17 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Thank you so much. How far is it from the Trastevere area?  We would like to visit there this time

I am not familiar with Largo Argentina.

Edited by midwestchick

@midwestchick   Your quote got messed up, so I'm not going to re-quote it.

Trastevere would be a bit of a walk from anywhere in the heart of the 'centro storico' as it's on the other side of the Tiber. If you were to stay near the Pantheon, I would recommend taking a taxi from the taxi stand just on the right side of the Pantheon and asking them to take you to somewhere central in Trastevere such as the piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere. The taxi should be around 15 euro give or take. Save your energy for strolling around Trastevere!

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

@midwestchick   Your quote got messed up, so I'm not going to re-quote it.

Trastevere would be a bit of a walk from anywhere in the heart of the 'centro storico' as it's on the other side of the Tiber. If you were to stay near the Pantheon, I would recommend taking a taxi from the taxi stand just on the right side of the Pantheon and asking them to take you to somewhere central in Trastevere such as the piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere. The taxi should be around 15 euro give or take. Save your energy for strolling around Trastevere!

Thank you again.  Are the taxis easy to find for the return in the  Trastevere area?  I really don’t see anyone posting about that area. 

20 minutes ago, midwestchick said:

Are the taxis easy to find for the return in the  Trastevere area?

If you have a smartphone, taxi stands are easy to find using map apps such as Google Maps or Apple Maps.  You can also locate a bus route to your destination from wherever you might be.

Uber and FREE NOW are two excellent apps for pickup at your current location.  We've used Uber in Rome with excellent results...have not yet used FREE NOW.

1 hour ago, midwestchick said:

Thank you again.  Are the taxis easy to find for the return in the  Trastevere area?  I really don’t see anyone posting about that area. 

There are two major taxi stands in Trastevere area, so you might want to plan to end your "wandering" near one of the two, both of which are close to two of the bridges that connect Trastevere with Rome, across the Tiber.

One is at Piazza Belli (close to the Ponte Garibaldi) and the other is Piazza Trilussa (close to the Ponte Sisto).  You can see both of these piazzas on the snip below (just look for the bridges). Piazza Trilussa is where the number 3 is. Piazza Belli is at the foot of the Garibaldi bridge (you'll see the word "Belli" several times...)

image.png.8b3f86d565db6480eb37f3d6856f1c1d.png

image.png

1 hour ago, midwestchick said:

I really don’t see anyone posting about that area. 

Trastevere is a neighborhood unto itself. It was always the place where "outsiders" lived and none of the ancient monuments are located there. Many people enjoy walking around the area, which has a lot of winding, narrow streets and alleys, interesting buildings (good photo ops) and some early churches that are not to be missed including Santa Maria in Trastevere and Santa Cecilia. 

It is much more touristy than it once was, but it is an area that does have a lively vibe at night with a lot of restaurants. Lots of apartment rentals there as well.

Personally I've just never had a connection with Trastevere. On my most recent trip I spent the better part of a day there again because I wanted to revisit Santa Cecilia, look up a monument to a Roman poet in Piazza Trilussa ("Trilussa" was the poet's pen name), and see the Fontana dell'Acqua Paola (the stones of which came from one of the Imperial Forums of Rome) again:

Acqua Paola Fountain Rome

While I enjoyed my day, and had excellent pizza for lunch at Dar Poeta (highly recommended) I still missed any real sense of connection. Give me the Centro Storico (and in particular the Campo Marzo) any day!

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Trastevere is a neighborhood unto itself. It was always the place where "outsiders" lived and none of the ancient monuments are located there. Many people enjoy walking around the area, which has a lot of winding, narrow streets and alleys, interesting buildings (good photo ops) and some early churches that are not to be missed including Santa Maria in Trastevere and Santa Cecilia. 

It is much more touristy than it once was, but it is an area that does have a lively vibe at night with a lot of restaurants. Lots of apartment rentals there as well.

Personally I've just never had a connection with Trastevere. On my most recent trip I spent the better part of a day there again because I wanted to revisit Santa Cecilia, look up a monument to a Roman poet in Piazza Trilussa ("Trilussa" was the poet's pen name), and see the Fontana dell'Acqua Paola (the stones of which came from one of the Imperial Forums of Rome) again:

Acqua Paola Fountain Rome

While I enjoyed my day, and had excellent pizza for lunch at Dar Poeta (highly recommended) I still missed any real sense of connection. Give me the Centro Storico (and in particular the Campo Marzo) any day!

Thank you for all your valuable knowledge.  We have seen all the major sites in Rome and wanted a different experience. I will keep your advice in mind as I plan our trip. 😊😊

37 minutes ago, bennybear said:

And near Giolittis!  

Yes, it doesn't hurt that most of the well-known gelateria are nearby. 😉🍦

Giolitti is a classic choice:

image.png.cc9cde0ca02922af5a5a54269247a4a8.png

But I prefer San Crispino (just a block from the Pantheon too):

image.png.3ce28211c039dd1f9cecf4e8877d74a0.png

For an extra special treat I'll walk as far as Via dei Coronari for the gelato at Gelateria del Teatro though:

https://anamericaninrome.com/wp/2016/08/gelateria-del-teatro-in-rome/

There is a great alfresco lunch restaurant right across the street too. Or if you just want to grab a cone or cup and window shop while you eat, Via dei Coronari is one of Rome's great shopping streets, with fantastic antique shops and home goods stores and boutiques. 

• Like 1

Yum!   And Grom is nearby but not my favourite.  Thanks for the recommendations,  one is near where we often stay.  

I love looking at Frette,  but I’m sure I’d better have my gelato after.  

Would happily look forward to treating you to a gelato one day!  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2021 at 4:25 PM, pno4te said:

We are doing b2b cruises (one NCL and one MSC) summer 2022.  Porting out of Civitavecchia but planning to spend a few nights in Rome beforehand.  My husband cannot walk without aids:  walker for short distances and a mobility scooter the rest of the time. We have spent a couple of months poring over hotel suggestions and descriptions here on CC as well as other sites like TripAdvisor because of the ability to see photos and read reviews specific to our needs.  

We don't need an HA room but do need an elevator that is large enough to accommodate his scooter.  It isn't particularly large but we have encountered elevators in other European hotels that presented issues.  We realize that many of the lovely hotels in Rome are refurbished older buildings and must deal with the footprint they have to work with. But, we have stayed in some perfect, for us,  properties (Hotel 1898 in Barcelona comes to mind) that gave us a most enjoyable week pre-cruise.  

Most of the properties mentioned on here don't appear that they would work for us.  I did find the Roma Palazzo Cinquecento but I don't know much about it yet.  I have read a review that specifically mentions a large elevator so that is encouraging.  Does anyone have any thoughts about this property? @cruisemom42?  Any other hotels that immediately come to mind?  We are willing to spend 250-300 euros nightly for a room with a view and breakfast included if that helps. We would also be willing to spend less! 😉

We stayed in Hotel 1898 in Barcelona four years ago, loved it.  Probably one of the best breakfast buffets we've ever encountered and that rooftop pool and bar was fabulous.

• Like 2