Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

Cruisemom42, I reached out to Hotel Smeraldo. Looks like triple rooms are not in main building, but in a Parione. They described the Parione as “the fabric just in front of the main building”.  Do you have any thoughts or insight on this?  Would you think it’s the same quality as main building? I believe it was this hotel that said the view was “interior”... not sure what that means... Any thoughts?

7 hours ago, discru said:

Cruisemom42, I reached out to Hotel Smeraldo. Looks like triple rooms are not in main building, but in a Parione. They described the Parione as “the fabric just in front of the main building”.  Do you have any thoughts or insight on this?  Would you think it’s the same quality as main building? I believe it was this hotel that said the view was “interior”... not sure what that means... Any thoughts?

You'll find this to be true in many hotels in Rome. Rooms in the "original" hotel building often are not large enough to accommodate more than two people. Triples or more may be in an annex building nearby. I don't know what differences there may be in the rooms in the annex, but it sounds like it has its own rooftop terrace with a good view and that the breakfast is still given at the main hotel. Reading this review may be helpful:

https://www.oyster.com/rome/hotels/smeraldo-hotel/

An interior view would usually mean one facing an interior courtyard, rather than facing outward toward the street.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, seapad said:

Has anyone stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton Rome Monti? 

First time to Rome. Or can someone comment what's the Monti area like? What's the feel, shopping, and proximity to touristic areas? 

Thanks! 

Monti is a fairly large neighborhood or rione. If you were to look at the map I posted above in this thread, it would be in the bottom right corner and continues just off the map.  I find it charming and it still manages to have a bit of a neighborhood feel although parts of it are becoming more touristy. (As evidenced, I guess by having a Doubletree in the area....!). I often try to eat at a couple of restaurants in the area that specialize in serving local dishes sourced with local ingredients and often with great daily specials.

There are a number of good restaurants and small hotels in the area and the only real drawback is the location not being as central as I prefer. However, if you want a location primarily close to the ancient Roman sites, I wouldn't hesitate. Although I'd probably pick a local hotel.

27 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

You'll find this to be true in many hotels in Rome. Rooms in the "original" hotel building often are not large enough to accommodate more than two people. Triples or more may be in an annex building nearby. I don't know what differences there may be in the rooms in the annex, but it sounds like it has its own rooftop terrace with a good view and that the breakfast is still given at the main hotel. Reading this review may be helpful:

https://www.oyster.com/rome/hotels/smeraldo-hotel/

An interior view would usually mean one facing an interior courtyard, rather than facing outward toward the street.

Wow!  You are amazing!  I’ve searched and searched and couldn’t find a good description... but you did!!  Thanks to you I feel less overwhelmed and super excited to explore this city. Thank you so much!

10 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Cruisemom

Is a wonderful resource but if you want more than one opinion you can find all the hotels you folks ask about on the trip adviser Rome forum

There are reviews and you can see maps showing the hotels ,nearby sights and restaurants

Very true!

Although its best to take reviews on the popular sites (like tripadvisor) with a grain of salt as competitors are known to plant the occasional bad review, as well as those with an axe to grind.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

Cruisemom/others, do you know how far the airport is to Albergo de Senato? Also, an idea on price for 4 to get there? No train. Also, how far is the ship to the airport (post cruise)?

Lots of posts on this.  It’s less than an hour from the airport to the centre of Rome.   Closer to an hour plus from FCO to port. We use Stefano’s Rome cabs, around 55 euros into town for 2,  two years ago.  The port it more, over 100 euros,  but best to contact them Directly for current prices and be sure to book well ahead. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

Cruisemom/others, do you know how far the airport is to Albergo de Senato? Also, an idea on price for 4 to get there? No train. Also, how far is the ship to the airport (post cruise)?

FCO to Albergo del Senato: 30.5km

Cruise Port to FCO:  67.6km

Click here for highly rated RomeCabs transfer pricing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, birdiebill said:

Regarding the Albergo Del Senato:  are the beds in the standard double and the superior double queen size or double size?  I see they also have twin bed rooms.  I sent an e-mail and have not received an answer.  

Although I don't recall whether the bed in a superior double is a queen or king, I can tell you if it were a double we wouldn't be staying there again this fall.  It's at least a queen.

19 hours ago, klfhngr said:

It looks like you already booked, but for reference, in Rome there is a fixed taxi rate of 48 euros from FCO airport to any hotel within what's called the "Aurelian walls" (basically the old city center, where most hotels tourists want to stay in are located; Vatican hotels may be an outlier).  Taxis are plentiful at the airport and can be picked up right outside the main terminal for arriving passengers from the US and EU (Terminal 3). Make sure you look for the taxi queue and get an official taxi. Don't be tempted by anyone trying to lure you out of the line with private transport.

The drive itself is about 35-50 minutes, depending on traffic. But for most people arriving on the early morning flights from the US and those departing in the morning TO the US, traffic isn't a big issue due to the early hour.

I'm not sure a single sedan taxi can hold 4 people + cruise luggage; they are not big. But at the airport there are usually the occasionally mini-van type of taxi.

From the ship to the airport post-cruise, allow about an hour. And you should plan to be at the airport 3 hours ahead of your flight. Yes, it really does take that long most of the time. If you have 'status' with your airline or flying first or business the lines are a bit shorter, but you can't count on getting through all the processes that much faster....

On 1/28/2022 at 9:56 PM, dabear said:

CRUISEMOM42: are you familiar with hotel Nazionale that is near the Pantheon? Comments?

I think I know of someone who stayed there, I can ask for their opinion. Unless you already decided? The location is nice, a bit north of the Pantheon.

Thanks for all that great info. Taxi it will be from the airport to our Rome hotel. No need to book anything now. Until we make final payment, not booking anything without a refundable deposit. I thought we were going to be ok by now until Omicron hit and we went backwards-again. I sure don’t want flight credit, which means I seriously need to look into Flights by Celebrity. Question:  If Celebrity cancels the cruise after final payment, is the flight made through Celebrity in the refund?  

On 1/28/2022 at 9:56 PM, dabear said:

CRUISEMOM42: are you familiar with hotel Nazionale that is near the Pantheon? Comments?

Hi -- heard back from those who stayed there and got a very positive thumbs up on the hotel and location. They had a room with a beautiful view of the dome of St. Peters, especially pretty at night when all lit up. They did advise, however, to avoid a connecting room as they could hear sounds from the next room.

• Thanks 1

This is my first time in Rome. Considering between Doubletree by Hilton Rome Monti or Aleph Rome Hotel.

It's so hard because I'm planning to do walking tours to all the major sites: Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Vatican, Colosseum etc  

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts in terms of which one is the better compromise in terms of distance, comfort, etc 🙂 

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, seapad said:

This is my first time in Rome. Considering between Doubletree by Hilton Rome Monti or Aleph Rome Hotel.

It's so hard because I'm planning to do walking tours to all the major sites: Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Vatican, Colosseum etc  

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts in terms of which one is the better compromise in terms of distance, comfort, etc 🙂 

Thanks! 

I know this is a very long thread, however, many have given the advice of looking at maps which will orient you to the city of Rome. We purchased Rick Steve's book on Italy which was a tremendous help with many maps. I also used the maps for hotels on TripAdvisor, on which if you click on the hotel, you can scroll down to the map and enlarge it, thus giving you a visual on the hotel location on relationship to the sites you want to see.

• Like 2

This question is a off topic from the thread title but there is such good info in here and the people participating in the thread are so knowledgeable I cannot help but ask it here…

We will be visiting Venice for a brief stay before our cruise.  How far in advance should we purchase tickets for the Italo quick trains between Rome and Venice?  🤔