Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

26 minutes ago, Gimpy McFarlan said:

This question is a off topic from the thread title but there is such good info in here and the people participating in the thread are so knowledgeable I cannot help but ask it here…

We will be visiting Venice for a brief stay before our cruise.  How far in advance should we purchase tickets for the Italo quick trains between Rome and Venice?  🤔

The tickets are released, and the lowest prices usually come out 4 months in advance. Buy from Trenitalia, not Rail Europe, for the best pricing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

The tickets are released, and the lowest prices usually come out 4 months in advance. Buy from Trenitalia, not Rail Europe, for the best pricing.

If you want Italo, you purchase from the Italo website, not Trenitalia.  Trenitalia is for all the rest of the trains.  Italo is a private company.  Check timing and pricing from both, though.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

If you want Italo, you purchase from the Italo website, not Trenitalia.  Trenitalia is for all the rest of the trains.  Italo is a private company.  Check timing and pricing from both, though.  

I was curious about that…. Looks like Trentalia and Italo both offer 4-hour train service between Rome and Venice.  Any thoughts about the differences or pros/cons between them?  At first glance Italo offers fast trains at times that are more advantageous but we are interested in multiple opinions.

3 hours ago, Gimpy McFarlan said:

I was curious about that…. Looks like Trentalia and Italo both offer 4-hour train service between Rome and Venice.  Any thoughts about the differences or pros/cons between them?  At first glance Italo offers fast trains at times that are more advantageous but we are interested in multiple opinions.

There is not much difference between the Italo trains and the Frecce ("high speed") trains offered by Trenitalia. Trenitalia is the national railroad and, at least on most routes, the number and frequency of trains is greater. 

The only difference I'd check on is to be sure you're comparing same departure and arrival points. At least when Italo first started, their trains did not always depart from the large Termini station in Rome but from one of the outlying stations. That may have changed now, but it's something I would want to confirm.

• Thanks 1

Just a humble suggestion -- It would be great if we could keep this topic to "Hotels in Rome".

There is no limit to threads on CC (!!) and I would suggest that a topic other than hotels is going to get noticed more quickly under its own thread than buried here on page 16 of a thread that is primarily about hotels...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

Right off the bat, I'm going to apologize for my  atypical approach to our upcoming trip to Italy for the first time.

I'm going to sound a little bratty here, but I'm just being honest with you guys about what I'm looking for and hoping you can help.

My wife and I are sailing out of Civitavecchia, and obviously aren't going to travel all that way and not see some of Italy.

Just being honest, we're not big historians and don't have a strong desire to do lengthy sightseeing tours of the colosseum and the Pantheon.

We're planning on flying into Venice, because everyone wants to ride a gondola.

Then travel through Tuscany for some wineries and relaxed time in the hills.

We will arrive in Rome the day before our cruise.   Sure a drive/walk around for the obligatory photo in front of the Pantheon, but more than anything we would like a nice comfortable hotel with modern upscale amenities,  great local restaurants nearby, and convenient to get to the ship the next morning.  

We're both a little claustrophobic, so ideally looking for more US size hotel rooms than European, but obviously understand.... when in Rome..... 

On the way back from the cruise we *may* stay in Rome for a day before hopping a flight to Paris. So it may be better to do the obligatory photo taking/walk around the historical sights then, and just get close to the ship on the day before. (I hear it's like an hour away from the city)

I'd love to hear your advice. 

I know we likely sound like jerks here but I'm just being realistic.

We will enjoy walking around, talking to the locals, stopping in a cafe and enjoying some wine more than a history tour of the sites....  if anything maybe we hire a driver to drive us by them on the way to the ship... but then again the claustrophobia  so that's probably out. 

A concierge floor at a upscale Marriott or Hyatt Regency  sounds better than a small hotel with fabric on the walls and antique furniture.

Any recommendations ....besides stay home?  lol
  • Like 1

I would start with some reading around the board, getting the lay of the land. For example,  it's a 3 plus hour train ride from Venice to Rome, 75 or so minutes drive from Rome to the port.

More spacious rooms are available in many hotels...maybe not in the historic center of Rome commonly mentioned here. Look at common western chain hotels...Hilton, Marriott,  etc.

It will be difficult to beat the Imperial Lounge level at Rome Cavalleri,  a Waldorf Astoria hotel. 

20 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I would start with some reading around the board, getting the lay of the land. For example,  it's a 3 plus hour train ride from Venice to Rome, 75 or so minutes drive from Rome to the port.

More spacious rooms are available in many hotels...maybe not in the historic center of Rome commonly mentioned here. Look at common western chain hotels...Hilton, Marriott,  etc.

It will be difficult to beat the Imperial Lounge level at Rome Cavalleri,  a Waldorf Astoria hotel. 

Yes, I have been reading but it seemed most posts talked about the historic sites,  hence me wanting to change things up a bit.

3 hours on the train are fine for us. We think it would be cool to sit and watch the countryside whir by. We may stop halfway in Florence.   I'd love to do one of the western chains with more spacious rooms, and be close to the sights, maybe not right there, but close enough and not way out, any areas you suggest?

I looked at the Waldorf, I have elite status with Hyatt and Marriott so I prefer one of their properties,  but I'll keep them in mind, thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

So reading through the posts on this thread is difficult (with over 16 pages) and several hotels require more than 1 day stay. So looking for some help going through this info and providing some highlights of hotels. My wife and I will be on our honeymoon and will be arriving 1 day prior (Sept 30) to our Princess Regal Cruise. We will only be in Rome the 30th and then the 1st with getting on the cruise. Our budget is not super high since we are splurging on the 2 week cruise. we are looking to spend $200 or less and want to have access to the typical sites. So in addition to hotels, what sites do you recommend? what is not worth the time? again we are there 1 day only. And should we take train from airport to hotel? and train to cruise port? thanks for all the help. lots to figure out.

Mat

6 minutes ago, biggytaz said:

So reading through the posts on this thread is difficult (with over 16 pages) and several hotels require more than 1 day stay. So looking for some help going through this info and providing some highlights of hotels. My wife and I will be on our honeymoon and will be arriving 1 day prior (Sept 30) to our Princess Regal Cruise. We will only be in Rome the 30th and then the 1st with getting on the cruise. Our budget is not super high since we are splurging on the 2 week cruise. we are looking to spend $200 or less and want to have access to the typical sites. So in addition to hotels, what sites do you recommend? what is not worth the time? again we are there 1 day only. And should we take train from airport to hotel? and train to cruise port? thanks for all the help. lots to figure out.

Mat

Suggest you do some research at library to decide what you want to see.   Everyone is different, but the more research you do, the better your trip.  

When you say you are there for just one day, do you mean two nights?  Because if it’s just one night and you’re arriving jet lagged it’s not enough time.  You really need at least three nights as the first day will be near to a write off.  

re taking the train,  depends on how much luggage you have?  No one is there to help lift it off and on,   There can be stairs to manage with luggage.  We prefer a private transfer.  

10 minutes ago, biggytaz said:

Mat

This is where Cruisemom42 will enter the discussion, be patient and one will be rewarded with the very best advice.   Congratulations on your Wedding and Honeymoon.  May one suggest the obligatory selfi Trevi Fountain coin toss.

• Like 2

@biggytaz

Have you flown to Europe before this?

I ask because you'll be leaving on the 29th and flying all night so may not have lots of energy on the 30th

I can only suggest you look on a map on a site like booking dot com or trip adviser and find a hotel in your budget in the area near th e Pantheon

That way you can walk to sights nearby quite easily

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, biggytaz said:

Mat

Congratulations on your marriage! You may be jet lagged and not wanting to do a lot of touring on your arrival day. Also, your arrival time will determine what time you have remaining to do any sightseeing. We stayed 3 nights pre-cruise and barely scratched the surface. Learn what you can about Rome and set some priorities. Cruisemom42 will have excellent advice for you.

I suggest staying in a central area (Pantheon) and mapping out a walking tour and possibly booking a food tour.

We booked private transfers from the airport to our hotel, Rome to the port and then back from the port to the airport. These were shared rides so costing less. Do a search for transfers on this forum.

One night is very short... you will then leave in the morning for the ship. I looked up our hotel where we stayed but it is over your budget.

TripAdvisor is a good toll as you can also get an idea of the location of the hotel on the map that is further down on the listing of that hotel.

12 minutes ago, nini said:

Congratulations on your marriage! You may be jet lagged and not wanting to do a lot of touring on your arrival day. Also, your arrival time will determine what time you have remaining to do any sightseeing. We stayed 3 nights pre-cruise and barely scratched the surface. Learn what you can about Rome and set some priorities. Cruisemom42 will have excellent advice for you.

I suggest staying in a central area (Pantheon) and mapping out a walking tour and possibly booking a food tour.

We booked private transfers from the airport to our hotel, Rome to the port and then back from the port to the airport. These were shared rides so costing less. Do a search for transfers on this forum.

One night is very short... you will then leave in the morning for the ship. I looked up our hotel where we stayed but it is over your budget.

TripAdvisor is a good toll as you can also get an idea of the location of the hotel on the map that is further down on the listing of that hotel.

We will be flying overnight and have been successful in being able to sleep, but that is a valid point we will not be at our best. our flight is planned to arrive at 8am on the 30th and our cruise leaves on the 1st.

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Suggest you do some research at library to decide what you want to see.   Everyone is different, but the more research you do, the better your trip.  

When you say you are there for just one day, do you mean two nights?  Because if it’s just one night and you’re arriving jet lagged it’s not enough time.  You really need at least three nights as the first day will be near to a write off.  

re taking the train,  depends on how much luggage you have?  No one is there to help lift it off and on,   There can be stairs to manage with luggage.  We prefer a private transfer.  

thanks for the info, i will start looking into transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to cruise.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nini said:

Thank you, what private/shared transfer service do you recommend?

2 hours ago, biggytaz said:

Mat

Unfortunately your budget isn't going to go too far in Rome in what is still fairly high tourist season.

For your short time in Rome, would you be most interested in seeing the iconic Roman sites (Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon, etc.) or the Vatican?  

Hotel Smeraldo, which has been recommended several times in this thread, is available with a basic double room for $174 (about $200 w/fees) according to hotels.com   -- I would highly consider that one and I wouldn't wait long to book. The hotel is small and rooms go fast.

Hotel Navona, where I've stayed and would recommend the hotel and location, has a double for $194 (so slightly over $200 with fees).  

Both of these hotels are well located near Piazza Navona/Campo dei Fiori/Pantheon -- which is a prime area in the evening for strolling, restaurants, etc. and the main sites are walking distance (such as the Colosseum/Forum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain). 

Edited to add:  Just for the record, there are not many Rome hotels that require a 2-night minimum. Unless perhaps it is a major holiday. It used to be more common in Venice but even there it seems to be less common than previously.

Edited by cruisemom42

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Unfortunately your budget isn't going to go too far in Rome in what is still fairly high tourist season.

For your short time in Rome, would you be most interested in seeing the iconic Roman sites (Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon, etc.) or the Vatican?  

Hotel Smeraldo, which has been recommended several times in this thread, is available with a basic double room for $174 (about $200 w/fees) according to hotels.com   -- I would highly consider that one and I wouldn't wait long to book. The hotel is small and rooms go fast.

Hotel Navona, where I've stayed and would recommend the hotel and location, has a double for $194 (so slightly over $200 with fees).  

Both of these hotels are well located near Piazza Navona/Campo dei Fiori/Pantheon -- which is a prime area in the evening for strolling, restaurants, etc. and the main sites are walking distance (such as the Colosseum/Forum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain). 

Edited to add:  Just for the record, there are not many Rome hotels that require a 2-night minimum. Unless perhaps it is a major holiday. It used to be more common in Venice but even there it seems to be less common than previously.

I think we could go over the 200 for the 1 night if the hotel was good and good location and offered a decent complimentary breakfast!!!. definitely the roman sites over the vatican. Cruisemom, thank you so much i think i have seen your posts on here and everywhere over the Mediterranean forums. you should write your own travel book. i would love to also get your thoughts on all the ports and semi private tours at each port, but first i want to get the hotel booked.