Carnival Corp to remove 2 additional ships from service to now 15 ships total?

Georgie562

7 hours ago, tidecat said:

If more cuts are necessary, it may come down to which drydock can be avoided.

Carnival Spirit is scheduled for May 29-June 12, 2021.

Carnival Pride doesn't have one scheduled yet, but should have one no later than February 2022.

Carnival Legend does not have one scheduled, but is due by May 2021.

Carnival Miracle is good until 2022 or 2023. Her most recent drydock is in 2020.

Legend may be vulnerable due to the 2021 drydock, but it comes down to where Carnival wants to pare back service. The most likely cut would be in San Diego, with Miracle or Pride splitting time between the Caribbean and Alaska.

This has to be weighed against the rest of the fleet as well. Paradise is the only Fantasy-class ship due in 2021 for a drydock, and technically she is due before Legend.

Even without COVID-19, the 2020s was going to be a busy decade for ship retirements. There are just too many ships pushing 30.

The Paradise is more likely than not to survive. That ship still has book value left due to a major refurb done in 2018. I expect that Carnival will not add the additional cabins on the Promenade Deck, which the Queen Mary Lounge will still be intact. The dry dock would then be reduced to the mandatory maintenance required with the addition of the Alchemy Bar.  

We really liked the Fantasy class. They were least crowded and easiest to navigate. But I agree they were frumpy and time to retire. Fascination was our 1st Carnival cruise. Enjoyed her twice. Kind of sad...but time for it.

When we showed interest in the Fascination for a cruise out of San Juan, our TA tried to talk us out of it. But he did book us when we decided on the cruise. And we had a lovely time. Yes, the ship may lack many of the newer bells and whistles, but the small size gives you the opportunity to really get to know some of your fellow passengers and even crew members.

These ships will be missed.

11 hours ago, tidecat said:

Legend may be vulnerable due to the 2021 drydock, but it comes down to where Carnival wants to pare back service. The most likely cut would be in San Diego, with Miracle or Pride splitting time between the Caribbean and Alaska.

I doubt they'd move the Miracle out of San Diego unless it is just sliding a tad north into Long Beach with the Radiance and Panorama. Those lucrative Hawaii cruises during the winter from the west coast are not being eliminated nor is Radiance or Panorama itineraries being modified to include these. I really don't see the Miracle leaving southern CA for years unless it is being replaced with another ship.

Wasn't too keen on the Miracle. Was on her a few years back and she shook a lot of times. Was told the Azpods or whatever they were called was the reason. Dinner the first night, she was shaking so badly that silverware and plates were falling off tables.

56 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

There must be at least 3 threads on this topic on this particular board, plus others on other boards.

Please look at the boards before posting a new topic.

Thanks,

And who are you? the boards monitor?

And actually the other threads are old and not up to date with the now 15 ships. 

15 hours ago, goduckies05 said:

You cut san diego, you also cut the highly profitable Alaska cruises out of SF, well they will be once we get going lol

Sent from my SM-G988U using Forums mobile app

Not necessarily. Norweigan was rotating the Bliss through the Caribbean and Mexican Riviera outside of the Alaska season. Even not that long ago, Carnival was repositioning a ship between Australia and Seattle via Hawaii and Vancouver.

23 hours ago, Linsuesue said:

That is great information you have! I was thinking that there is typically a Spirit class ship in Alaska. Since Carnival can’t have many visits to Glacier Bay, a very preferred itinerary, that maybe only 1 larger ship would do the Alaska inside passage. It would be a way to cut back without losing that itinerary totally. 

With it being a Tue-Tue, it’s really pointless for Carnival to even bother offering the itinerary. Carnival’s premium brands also provide a more authentic experience.

If I were in a position to retire ships, I’d eliminate this itinerary entirely.

Wasn't too keen on the Miracle. Was on her a few years back and she shook a lot of times. Was told the Azpods or whatever they were called was the reason. Dinner the first night, she was shaking so badly that silverware and plates were falling off tables.
Yeah noticed that as well 5 years ago went on her 2 years ago and wasn't an issue.

With it being a Tue-Tue, it’s really pointless for Carnival to even bother offering the itinerary. Carnival’s premium brands also provide a more authentic experience.

If I were in a position to retire ships, I’d eliminate this itinerary entirely.
Yes not the best itinerary on the freedom, the Miracle 10 day out if SF is better imo. And yes princess does a great job up there and has glacier bay.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

I've been to Alaska on both HAL and Carnival, and can confirm that the water, glaciers, wildlife and ports don't know or care what cruise line is visiting on any given day. Carnival seems to command a premium on Alaska routes despite not being a "premium" brand.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

I've been to Alaska on both HAL and Carnival, and can confirm that the water, glaciers, wildlife and ports don't know or care what cruise line is visiting on any given day. Carnival seems to command a premium on Alaska routes despite not being a "premium" brand.

Carnival is priced as such because of limited capacity and lack of research regarding other cruise lines.

2 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Carnival is priced as such because of limited capacity and lack of research regarding other cruise lines.

Carnival doesn't need to compete with other cruise lines. It has the Alaska market pretty much cornered under its Carnival/Princess/HA brands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Carnival doesn't need to compete with other cruise lines. It has the Alaska market pretty much cornered under its Carnival/Princess/HA brands.

along with Seabourn and Cunard.

Cruise lines bid on Glacier Bay routes, and Carnival Brands have the lion's share. I think Royal punted on their routes.

A prospectus soliciting proposals for cruise ship services was issued in May 2018. A panel of technical experts reviewed each proposal package, and new ten-year concession contracts were awarded to seven businesses: Princess Cruise Lines Ltd, Holland America Line Inc., NCL (Bahamas) Ltd, Carnival plc (Cunard Line), Seabourn Cruise Line Limited, Viking Cruises Ltd and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. The NPS anticipated the contracts will be effective October 1, 2019.

On 7/29/2020 at 11:47 AM, Bostwick girl said:

Guess eventually they will tell us which ones are the newest addition to the for sale or scrap.

For sale or scrap ?

What entity in their right mind is going to buy a cruise ship these days ? 🙂

36 minutes ago, glrounds said:

For sale or scrap ?

Fred Olsen Cruise Lines announced Thursday July 16 that it is purchasing two Holland America Line cruise ships. 

2 hours ago, glrounds said:

For sale or scrap ?

Celestyal and Fred Olsen, apparently. There’s also some guy on this board who thinks Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line is going to buy a Carnival ship to sail it from Mobile to the Bahamas while stopping at Palm Beach along the way to pick up additional passengers.

44 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Celestyal and Fred Olsen, apparently. There’s also some guy on this board who thinks Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line is going to buy a Carnival ship to sail it from Mobile to the Bahamas while stopping at Palm Beach along the way to pick up additional passengers.

Okay, that's TWO . . . now what to do with the other 13 ships. 🙂

1 minute ago, xDisconnections said:

John Heald also asked a friend of mine on Facebook if he wants to purchase a cruise ship for personal use. He even offered a discount with the offer of a good deal! 

Assuming John Heald doesn't have his head up . . . that leaves 12 (and as time goes on COUNTING) 🙂

Who knows where we'll be by the end of the 1st quarter. LOL