With no start in site in North America, ncl should allow refunds on previous fcc

seaman11

They need to allow refunds on original form of payment regardless if we used it on another future cruise that got canceled as, as well.  IF you cant give a solid date on a start, why should we keep fcc which expires from the original date btw. I am considering opening another chargeback.  if they have a solid date on restarting then fine I agree we would have to keep the fcc we used. 

• Like 2

Every restart date is solid until it isn't.  Getting your cancelled cruise refunded to the original form of payment, whether cash or fcc,  will not change as it is to NCL's advantage to not change.

37 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Every restart date is solid until it isn't.  Getting your cancelled cruise refunded to the original form of payment, whether cash or fcc,  will not change as it is to NCL's advantage to not change.

They Can't give us a real date, the cdc has not given clear guidelines on how to restart.  if during normal times, i think thats fine to not refund fcc to cash.  But with holding money from us for months interest free, someone should step in and mandate they refund to original form of payment.  especially when they keep the expire date from the original fcc, and there is no telling when they can or will sail again.  The danger of them going under totally in a years time. 

Edited by seaman11
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

They need to allow refunds on original form of payment regardless if we used it on another future cruise that got canceled as, as well.  IF you cant give a solid date on a start, why should we keep fcc which expires from the original date btw. I am considering opening another chargeback.  if they have a solid date on restarting then fine I agree we would have to keep the fcc we used. 

Disagree. Everyone had a clear choice at the time of cancellation. And every knew that the restart date was unknown. 

If you go down the chargeback route, make sure that you fully disclose to your credit card company that you knowingly and willingly accepted a Future Cruise Credit plus bonus as a full refund for the cancelled cruise. And accepted the terms and conditions of those FCCs. And you now want to try and get cash back because you changed your mind.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, seaman11 said:

You should definitely open another chargeback. You are likely holding a worthless piece of paper.  Look at what just hapenned in Norway with the very first cruise ship having an outbreak.  And that’s a country that is doing everything right as opposed to the US. There is no way cruising can restart safely anytime soon and there is no way these companies are surviving.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

I would start a chargeback.

If he accepted the offer for an FCC, then the credit card company will find in favor of the cruise line, if the cruise line contests.

The only out is if the cruise line does something that violates the FCC offer accepted by the passenger.  Which it does not appear that they have.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Disagree. Everyone had a clear choice at the time of cancellation. And every knew that the restart date was unknown. 

If you go down the chargeback route, make sure that you fully disclose to your credit card company that you knowingly and willingly accepted a Future Cruise Credit plus bonus as a full refund for the cancelled cruise. And accepted the terms and conditions of those FCCs. And you now want to try and get cash back because you changed your mind.  

wrong as usual bird.  we did not know the restart date was unknown because their employees said it was going to happen  ect ect . 

also i didnt change my mind, id use it and go , (many would)  but we cant, they cant provide what was promised. 

Edited by seaman11
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, npcl said:

If he accepted the offer for an FCC, then the credit card company will find in favor of the cruise line, if the cruise line contests.

The only out is if the cruise line does something that violates the FCC offer accepted by the passenger.  Which it does not appear that they have.

and what if they cant sail and the fcc is expired?

Seaman11 

On this I agree with you ALL cruise lines should allow people the option of receiving the "original" form of payment if requested. No stipulations.

Shouldn't  matter if one took the FCC when rebooking a cancelled cruise. Originally most  everyone booked with a  💳.

• Like 2

Like others said and I am not sure of Seaman’s particular case. Many thought they were smart by accepting those 125% FCC instead of grabbing the cash. Well, they were told they were worthless until the day you actually stepped onto a cruise again with them .....at rates higher than the 125% FCC were even worth comparatively speaking. They should NOT be given cash now while trying to back peddle their poor decision .  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Like others said and I am not sure of Seaman’s particular case. Many thought they were smart by accepting those 125% FCC instead of grabbing the cash. Well, they were told they were worthless until the day you actually stepped onto a cruise again with them .....at rates higher than the 125% FCC were even worth comparatively speaking. They should NOT be given cash now while trying to back peddle their poor decision .  

the situation now is much different then it was back then, when florida had just 200 cases a day., wouldn't you say?   I am more than willing to use it on a FC , however they can not provide that FC anytime soon.  Suppose they didn't pay you your refund on a "poor decision" to book one.  im sure you would be the first to call ncl out.  They cant provide the service,  service not rendered 

Edited by seaman11
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, seaman11 said:

the situation now is much different then it was back then, when florida had just 200 cases a day., wouldn't you say?   I am more than willing to use it on a FC , however they can not provide that FC anytime soon.  Suppose they didn't pay you your refund on a "poor decision" to book one.  im sure you would be the first to call ncl out.  They cant provide the service,  service not rendered 

Yes, I agree and would be  be upset too. However, it was beaten to death on every forum that taking the cash was the smart, safe, and sure thing to do as no one knew what would happen . Many of us like me were very cautious and concerned and weren’t taking risks. Others like you were insistant over and over again that you would be sailing the next month again and again while everyone told you so and you argued with everyone including me .... Now you regret your decision and want your money back. Can’t have it both ways man ....You should have known the risks you were taking. Sorry ......

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

and what if they cant sail and the fcc is expired?

That's what happened to the cruise part of my cruise. Free cruise expired and not being extended and holding all the extras paid by me into an FCC. I am attempting a chargeback. I tried to play ball with them in the beginning and if they played nice, I wouldn't be posting in here.

• Like 1

Wrong . they cant provide the service, again happy to take the fcc and use it.  i can afford to lose the initial investment, but that is immaterial. Many can't.   NCL can not provide the service as promised. its pretty simple, if they had cruises going and i wanted my money back you would have a valid point. 

13 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

Wrong . they cant provide the service, again happy to take the fcc and use it.  i can afford to lose the initial investment, but that is immaterial. Many can't.   NCL can not provide the service as promised. its pretty simple, if they had cruises going and i wanted my money back you would have a valid point. 

They couldn’t provide the service when you accepted the FCC initially either so the only real difference is that it’s going on longer than you want to accept and anticipated . It’s no different than it was then weather there was no service for 30 days or hell, 30 months at this point. I get what you are saying but they will just say the scenario is out of their hands as well, shrug their shoulders, and say you made your decision and tough luck now .....

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, seaman11 said:

What they should do versus what the will are different, but I agree with you.

With cruising for US probably not happening till 2021 late currently, that would be nice, but they need the money, so likely not.

36 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

Your argument holds water when the FCC expires and NCL has been unable to sail for the duration of the FCC validity period.... not a minute before.  You are speculating NCL will not sail (which may very well be true). You accepted the terms associated with the cancelation offer and now must wait it out until you can use your FCC or are prevented from doing so by its expiration date.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

Yes, I agree and would be  be upset too. However, it was beaten to death on every forum that taking the cash was the smart, safe, and sure thing to do as no one knew what would happen . Many of us like me were very cautious and concerned and weren’t taking risks. Others like you were insistant over and over again that you would be sailing the next month again and again while everyone told you so and you argued with everyone including me .... Now you regret your decision and want your money back. Can’t have it both ways man ....You should have known the risks you were taking. Sorry ......

It is true that Seaman was one of the many people here who smugly argued the "it's just the flu we'll be sailing next month line."  I remember that argument well.  That said, he still doesn't deserve to lose his money because of NCL's shameless business tactics here.  I'm sympathetic to people like Seaman who were blinded by their political beliefs and are only now realizing the true scope of what is going on.  He should do a chargeback.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

wrong as usual bird.  we did not know the restart date was unknown because their employees said it was going to happen  ect ect . also i didnt change my mind, id use it and go , (many would)  but we cant, they cant provide what was promised. 

But you have posted dozens of links to articles on why the restart won't happen. 

We, on the other hand, are blindly optimistic along with a large percentage of other cancelled cruisers and take the FCC and bonus. We had yet another cruise cancel on Thursday and used the FCC to rebook on Friday. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

On the flip side I’d bet ten bucks that if things were on the flip side  and cruises were sailing we would be hearing from those who took the 125% over cash “See, you fools should have taken the 125% FCC. Look at the deal I got going that route and you all missed out. Told ya so! “ 

• Like 8

To me the choice between refund and FCC was simple.  Let's see . . . a company with a very uncertain future wants to hold onto thousands of dollars of my money for an indefinite period of time?  The answer seemed obvious:  Hell no!  A bird in the hand is always worth more than 125 percent of a bird in the bush.

• Like 10

Yeah, we was concerned back in March about what the future held, so cash was the only option for us.

And to anyone considering FCC or cash on the recent round of cancellations - which I imagine are few - make sure you understand the rules. NCL loves rules. You have one year to redeem your FCC, cruising likely is finished for the foreseeable future, itineraries will be severely limited once it does start, NCL controls the pricing on the cruises. Let the buyer beware.

And to the OP, run your chargeback up the flagpole and see where it lands. Right now, you have a worthless piece of paper. At worst, you'll end up with the same worthless piece of paper or maybe you'll end up with what you want. Good luck!!

• Like 1

I took the FCC back in March because I already had a Haven room booked for Jan 2021 that I could apply the FCC to. Back in March it seemed reasonable that cruises would resume by then but now it seems very doubtful.

That same room to book now is almost $5000 more. I think anyone that’s decided to take FCC and rebooked a cruise and that rebooked cruise  also gets cancelled should have the option of cash refund. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, adam_s_allen said:

I took the FCC back in March because I already had a Haven room booked for Jan 2021 that I could apply the FCC to. Back in March it seemed reasonable that cruises would resume by then but now it seems very doubtful.

That same room to book now is almost $5000 more. I think anyone that’s decided to take FCC and rebooked a cruise and that rebooked cruise  also gets cancelled should have the option of cash refund. 

Exactly, and when this fact pattern presents itself to a credit card company, Attorney General, or consumer protection agency, their radar will go up.....especially in light of a $5,000 upward price adjustment during a time of pandemic. It illustrates how an ordinary consumer can be fooled or tricked by opinions of cash refunds being "lesser value" or gift certificates being marketed as a "bonus" yet rendered worthless by their inability to be redeemed, expiration dates, and price adjustments controlled solely by the merchant. A better approach would have been to state facts without suggesting which might be more valuable.....you can get 100% cash refund or 125% future cruise crrdit. Let the buyer beware.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 4