Total Food Snob - Is Oceania Right for Me?

All_About_Food

On 8/12/2020 at 8:31 AM, clairol said:

food snob

Those should be looked down on in my opinion. Like you I've had outstanding food all over the world and I've also loved my White Castle burgers that we had in Flushing a few years ago 🙂 Our first O cruise was last year and I really, really liked their food. Cooked to order lobster tails, shrimp, lamb chops in the Terrace Cafe. Seared foie gras that they changed the prep when I asked. And I agree with those who think OP should not cruise. Period.

Here are a few pix of food. The best escargot I've ever had and I cook them also. Actually I cook all of those things. LOL.

IMG_7101 - Edited (1).jpg

IMG_7108 - Edited (1).jpg

IMG_7081 - Edited.jpg

IMG_7074 - Edited (1).jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clo said:

Those should be looked down on in my opinion. And I agree with those who think OP should not cruise. Period.

So, in other words you're a food snob snob?  

The OP teasingly labeled her post that way, but if you read further she's really not so. Best to let her decide how to proceed, hopefully with an Oceania cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Vertygo said:

So, in other words you're a food snob snob?  

The OP teasingly labeled her post that way, but if you read further she's really not so. Best to let her decide how to proceed, hopefully with an Oceania cruise. 

Actually I should have gone back and apologized. (Too busy in the kitchen - lol.) I've been on several food boards over the years and "food snob" is held in even lower regard than "foodie." I just say "I'm really into food."

• Like 1

My experience with the food on Oceania has been excellent. Is it world class? That is subjective. I have eaten at some top restaurants all over the world and some surprising places that one would be hesitant to go in. If you don't like your meal send it back. What I have a problem with is people who go on an Oceania cruise looking to be disappointed and then loudly proclaiming such to anyone who will listen.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, ChappChapp said:

My experience with the food on Oceania has been excellent. Is it world class? That is subjective.

Agreed.

But, of course, to be fair one has to compare Oceania's food to that of other cruise lines rather than land based restaurants (for obvious reasons).

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, ChappChapp said:

What I have a problem with is people who go on an Oceania cruise looking to be disappointed and then loudly proclaiming such to anyone who will listen.

Whereas my mindset was SO optimistic that I believe it was Paulchili who was afraid I would be disappointed. I/we wasn't/weren't 🙂

54 minutes ago, clo said:

Whereas my mindset was SO optimistic that I believe it was Paulchili who was afraid I would be disappointed. I/we wasn't/weren't 🙂

Glad to hear that you were not disappointed 🙂

I was on Crystal for 3 weeks and didn't see foie gras even once and lobster only twice.

Edited by Paulchili

7 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I was on Crystal for 3 weeks and didn't see foie gras even once and lobster only twice.

Oh no. Ixnay on them then.

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Did they have meatloaf  & Cabbage rolls? 😎

• Haha 1

As a person who would eat out 3 meals a day, 7 days a week (fortunately DH is a great cook and loves to prepare meals!), I love the food that Oceania provides. Breakfast in the cafeteria, lunch in the Waves Grill, dinner in the specialty restaurants as often as possible! And tea time! Be still, my heart!!

Edited by Norseh2o
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 11:04 AM, Hawaiidan said:

Ill vote for the Blue Bayou too......the Monte Cristo sanwitch  was a star there so much so that they now offer it in 3 venues  in the park when I was last there.......   Still waiting for an invite  to get in " 33"

Here is the recipe for the Blue Bayou Monte Christo Sandwich. I understand that you can, er, count on it!

Servings: 4 sandwiches 

Ingredients

1 large egg

1 ¾ cups plus 2 Tbsp water

1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour

¼ tsp kosher salt

1 tsp baking powder

8 slices egg bread (such as brioche or challah), sliced ½” thick

8 thin slices turkey

8 thin slices Swiss cheese

8 thin slices ham

3 cups canola oil

Confectioners’ sugar, for garnish

Blackberry preserves, for serving

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 200º. Line a cookie sheet with paper towels and set it aside.

2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the egg and water together. 

3. Add the flour, salt, and baking powder, and whisk until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed, about 1 to 2 minutes. 

4. On one slice of bread, stack 2 slices of turkey, 2 slices of cheese, and 2 slices of ham. 

5. Place another slice of bread on top and cut the sandwich in half, diagonally.

6. Add the oil to a 10” pan with tall sides and heat between 365° and 375°. Do not let the oil reach a higher temperature than this, and reduce the heat if the oil starts to smoke. 

7. Dip one half of the sandwich into the egg batter, coat it entirely, allow the excess batter to drain off, and then very carefully place it in the oil. Repeat with the second half. 

8. Cook the sandwich for 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Transfer the sandwich to the prepared cookie sheet and set it in the warm oven. 

9. Repeat steps 4 to 8 with the remaining 3 sandwiches, allowing the oil to reach the desired temperature between each. 

10. Sprinkle each sandwich with confectioners’ sugar and serve with blackberry preserves on the side.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 11:49 AM, JPR said:

Here is the recipe for the Blue Bayou Monte Christo Sandwich. I understand that you can, er, count on it!

Servings: 4 sandwiches 

Ingredients

1 large egg

1 ¾ cups plus 2 Tbsp water

1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour

¼ tsp kosher salt

1 tsp baking powder

8 slices egg bread (such as brioche or challah), sliced ½” thick

8 thin slices turkey

8 thin slices Swiss cheese

8 thin slices ham

3 cups canola oil

Confectioners’ sugar, for garnish

Blackberry preserves, for serving

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 200º. Line a cookie sheet with paper towels and set it aside.

2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the egg and water together. 

3. Add the flour, salt, and baking powder, and whisk until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed, about 1 to 2 minutes. 

4. On one slice of bread, stack 2 slices of turkey, 2 slices of cheese, and 2 slices of ham. 

5. Place another slice of bread on top and cut the sandwich in half, diagonally.

6. Add the oil to a 10” pan with tall sides and heat between 365° and 375°. Do not let the oil reach a higher temperature than this, and reduce the heat if the oil starts to smoke. 

7. Dip one half of the sandwich into the egg batter, coat it entirely, allow the excess batter to drain off, and then very carefully place it in the oil. Repeat with the second half. 

8. Cook the sandwich for 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Transfer the sandwich to the prepared cookie sheet and set it in the warm oven. 

9. Repeat steps 4 to 8 with the remaining 3 sandwiches, allowing the oil to reach the desired temperature between each. 

10. Sprinkle each sandwich with confectioners’ sugar and serve with blackberry preserves on the side.

Turkey and ham need to be sliced from whole meats.... not the deli pressed/processed junk....AND  Cheese needs to be Gruyere ...... to be Swiss.... No Kraft or Sargento faux stuff...

I don't usually object to digressions on a list but isn't this Oceania?  Which doesn't have Blue Bayou?  And I don't recall ever seeing a Monte Cristo on a menu but I certainly could be wrong on that score since I don't tend to look for them.

But when someone quotes another ship's recipe and then responders don't delete the recipe ... my fingers get tired scrolling down ...

What I'm really asking is if you are responding to such a message -- whether it is pertinent to Oceania or another line -- please delete extraneous information.  As a pretty good home cook myself I'm happy to recipes here, even if they aren't Oceania's ... I just don't appreciate their being repeated unnecessarily.

Call me cranky tonight ...

Mura

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mura said:

I don't usually object to digressions on a list but isn't this Oceania?  Which doesn't have Blue Bayou?  And I don't recall ever seeing a Monte Cristo on a menu but I certainly could be wrong on that score since I don't tend to look for them.

But when someone quotes another ship's recipe and then responders don't delete the recipe ... my fingers get tired scrolling down ...

What I'm really asking is if you are responding to such a message -- whether it is pertinent to Oceania or another line -- please delete extraneous information.  As a pretty good home cook myself I'm happy to recipes here, even if they aren't Oceania's ... I just don't appreciate their being repeated unnecessarily.

Call me cranky tonight ...

Mura

Hi, cranky tonight, 

IMO in these very stressful times I will not object to a bit more finger exercise scrolling down through posts.  I certainly can spare the extra few seconds to do so!  😁

And I do not even eat ham!

Stay safe and stay strong, dear Mura.🤗

Edited by CintiPam

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Allow me to introduce you to Parma Prosciutto. Add imported provolone and a hint of grey poupon and swaddle it in some excellent sourdough (e.g., Semifredde or Acme here in the SF Bay Area).

Oh mio Dio!

I consider this post very cruel, particularly because I just spent 30 whole seconds of my very busy life these days reading your post in another thread about booking your own airfare and never taking O’s business class fares when the OP will be round trip NYC to avoid any need to fly!! 😛

41 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

I consider this post very cruel, particularly because I just spent 30 whole seconds of my very busy life these days reading your post in another thread about booking your own airfare and never taking O’s business class fares when the OP will be round trip NYC to avoid any need to fly!! 😛

You may want to reread Mura's post in the thread you're citing regarding bizclass. I expanded upon it to save the previous poster the need to ask additional questions - just a nice courtesy for a newbie. 

If you don't recognize the value of the extensive and accurate info I provide to both new and seasoned Oceania cruisers, all I can say is "no soup for you." I would also appreciate it if you would refrain from reading my posts in the future.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

11 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I would also appreciate it if you would refrain from reading my posts in the future.

Are you serious?? What is going on this evening on this board?

I made it very very clear that I simply was joking regarding your response above in #97 rubbing it into me regarding eating ham, which I avoid for religious reasons.  

I appreciate the information you provide, took your ham response in stride and cannot believe you wrote this back to me! 

Edited by CintiPam