Everything... project Leonardo/Prima class!

On 1/31/2021 at 9:36 PM, Steff79 said:

And Leonard 1 ist now at the port list of Zeebrugge 4 x in 2022 ( starts August 18th, and ends Sept 21th ) and 14x in 2023. I think Summer 2023 could be the homeport in Southampton i think. But we will see.

September, 20th, 2023 now at the port shedule at Orkney Island.

• Like 4

in 2023 at Zeebrugge the first visit is June, 3rd and the last visit is October 25th., in this time window she is 14 ( incl. first and last ) times there in 2023.

Only found Leonardo 2023 at the moment in Zebrugge and Orkney.

I think it is possible that Leonardo1 will replace the star with homeport in Southampton 2023 and do similar cruises, but we will see.

Didn´t found the star somewhere 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2021 at 12:20 PM, FreestyleNovice said:

Is or isn't the bow megablock under construction at Fincantieri's subsidiary Vard Tulcea (Romania)? :classic_laugh:

Suppliers like this ship yard, which a subsidiary yard actually is, don't show up in online cruise ship order books as the producing ship yard. So it's hard to tell at which ship or even for what yard (especially Fincantieri with a lot of shop yards across Italy!) they are working.

Photo taken in Jan this year, as the original photo has the new Viking expedition ship Viking Octantis  at the river quay.

isitaleoornot.png

Debunking my speculation; the bow block does not looks like it's Leonardo, although I still can't figure out which ship it is.. it may be under Vard or Fincantieri in the online cruise ship order books with a launch date in 2022, 2023?

Unless NCL changed the design LOL, hmm..

Screenshot (30).png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Debunking my speculation; the bow block does not looks like it's Leonardo, although I still can't figure out which ship it is.. it may be under Vard or Fincantieri in the online cruise ship order books with a launch date in 2022, 2023?

Unless NCL changed the design LOL, hmm..

Screenshot (30).png

Aren't these pictures of the the 4th MSC Seaside class (referred to as MSC Seaside EVO #2) and not the Leo?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, GregD said:

Aren't these pictures of the the 4th MSC Seaside class (referred to as MSC Seaside EVO #2) and not the Leo?

You sir are the best! :classic_cool: This makes puzzling way easier!

So, currently at VARD Tulcea there's only an unidentified block with the large Leo atrium windows, which can only be the 2nd Leonardo class ship.

Leo 1 is going steady in Venice.

Go kart track, check.

Tallest slide at sea, check.

Deck plans, name, hull art, nope..

Anything on sale 1½ year out, nope..

NCL can start the countdown, we are ready. ( i think the next days we will hear something, hope )

Fincantieri needs some webcams, should we buy some and send them?

Was much more fun with the ships at Meyer Werft and a weekly webcam pic.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FreestyleNovice said:

You sir are the best! :classic_cool: This makes puzzling way easier!

So, currently at VARD Tulcea there's only an unidentified block with the large Leo atrium windows, which can only be the 2nd Leonardo class ship.

Leo 1 is going steady in Venice.

Go kart track, check.

Tallest slide at sea, check.

Deck plans, name, hull art, nope..

Anything on sale 1½ year out, nope..

What's interesting is when I was investigating this. I was comparing hulls (portholes, lines protruding out, holes cut for the mooring deck, etc.) and the Leo is EXTREAMLY similar to the Seaside classes. Makes me think they're build on the same platform. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GregD said:

I was comparing hulls (portholes, lines protruding out, holes cut for the mooring deck, etc.) and the Leo is EXTREAMLY similar to the Seaside classes. Makes me think they're build on the same platform. 

They are all based on the Fincantieri Project Mille which was first shown in 2013. I'm pretty sure that Virgin's ships are, too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GregD said:

What's interesting is when I was investigating this. I was comparing hulls (portholes, lines protruding out, holes cut for the mooring deck, etc.) and the Leo is EXTREAMLY similar to the Seaside classes. Makes me think they're build on the same platform. 

They are indeed based on the same platform, Project Mille by Fincantieri in 2013ish was the starting point for this design.

A shipyard brochure:

"What can be done today to achieve a more advanced, profitable and efficient ship configuration? We can build in 10% more cabins, 10% more uncovered areas and 10% more efficiency. That, in essence, is Fincantieri’s Project Mille, a new concept applicable to vessels of different sizes (the model developed envisages three: 60 000 tons/1 500 passengers, 100 000 tons/2 600 passengers, and 150 000 tons/4 000 passengers). The structural and hydrodynamic efficiency gains result from a balanced longitudinal repositioning of the main weights. This arrangement has many benefits: 90% of cabins will have a balcony; the flow of passengers between the transit zones and the catering and entertainment areas becomes smoother; and the interaction between internal public spaces and open decks improves."  

MSC bought the Mille design/ordered Seaside from it. Not sure how it went when NCL wanted a new ship class but it's a off a the shelf thing where Fincantieri has ownership in I guess. 

i never cruised with Seaside/view, but i watched some videos of them, walk through the ships videos for example ( schiffstester Matthias Morr has the best :-))  . The ships are looking amazing. Excited what NCL shows us ( and in comparison to the MSC ships )

Edited by Steff79

I am cautiously optimistic about this new type of ship.  I thought the Breakaway type ships were just too much.  A more quite , subdued Atrium would be a big plus.  When we get to the other side of the pandemic, I hope to give these ships a try.

On 2/11/2021 at 2:22 PM, FreestyleNovice said:

"What can be done today to achieve a more advanced, profitable and efficient ship configuration? We can build in 10% more cabins, 10% more uncovered areas and 10% more efficiency. That, in essence, is Fincantieri’s Project Mille, a new concept applicable to vessels of different sizes (the model developed envisages three: 60 000 tons/1 500 passengers, 100 000 tons/2 600 passengers, and 150 000 tons/4 000 passengers).

Oh wow, I would LOVE it if they made a Leo style ship but with a Jewel class passenger capacity.

Just now, Named-Tawny said:

Oh wow, I would LOVE it if they made a Leo style ship but with a Jewel class passenger capacity.

I agree, but I think the NCL Leo class ships are to be around 3500? The same size as the MSC Divina, which I absolutely loved. I could be wrong of course. I'd still be ok with a Jewel class sized ship. too.

5 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I agree, but I think the NCL Leo class ships are to be around 3500? The same size as the MSC Divina, which I absolutely loved. I could be wrong of course. I'd still be ok with a Jewel class sized ship. too.

Yeah, that's my understanding as well.

I just didn't realise that the platform was designed for multiple sizes of ship.  (I haven't experienced the big ships but, from everything I've read, they don't feel like they'd be for me.  I wish that NCL would get back to building more small ships)