Everything... project Leonardo/Prima class!

1 hour ago, Acruzaholic said:

Curious to know how many mega blocks are needed for leonardo.

The Leonardo megablock is bit of an in between of a floating engine room unit (FERU) and a complete megablock.

Here you can see Meyer Werft at work in Germany (all Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class ships were build there); meyer-werft-besucherzentrum-neu-2014-6.j

Two RCCL megablocks, which will be floated in the large building hall and merged after the float out of the complete RCCL ship in the top of the picture. With normal blocks already waiting for assembly to form a ship. The heart of this huge puzzle is the block plan:

1730453772_blockplan1.jpg.62498a846f96f7

The base of one of the megablocks is a FERU, the engine compartment: https://www.neptunwerft.de/en/products/floating_engine_room_units/index.jsp

Leonardo's megablock is the engine compartment with a partial structure on top.

edit; an entire ship can be some 50'ish blocks, to answer your question, if we look at Meyer Werft.

Edited by FreestyleNovice
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

Anyone have an updated completion date for Leo1? Trying to plan my 2021/2022 schedule and want to be on the Inaugural TransA again. 

Post #196 is perhaps the only hint we know.

It is estimated she will have a mini summer season in the Med, followed by a transatlantic voyage in October...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Post #196 is perhaps the only hint we know.

It is estimated she will have a mini summer season in the Med, followed by a transatlantic voyage in October...

Ok thats all I need to know then, very helpful thanks. Not the same if its not brandy new! haha. We will stay tuned. 

I hope they do. It'd be sad for NCL to back away from that corner of the market that they more or less own. Carnival doesn't have them and while Royal does they mostly screwed it up (a lot are in crappy spots of the ship and while they only offer 1 point per night vs the 2 solo cruisers get in regular cabins they often aren't that much cheaper and don't have a plus like the studio lounge).

If NCL has no studios on their new ships they'll be in direct competition with others for solo travelers. There's a good chance NCL wouldn't be my most sailed line if that happens. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, smplybcause said:

I hope they do. It'd be sad for NCL to back away from that corner of the market that they more or less own. Carnival doesn't have them and while Royal does they mostly screwed it up (a lot are in crappy spots of the ship and while they only offer 1 point per night vs the 2 solo cruisers get in regular cabins they often aren't that much cheaper and don't have a plus like the studio lounge).

If NCL has no studios on their new ships they'll be in direct competition with others for solo travelers. There's a good chance NCL wouldn't be my most sailed line if that happens. 

You're right, NCL definitely leads the market for being solo friendly (numerous studio cabins on their newer/bigger ships, studio lounges - as you point out). Imo, Royal actually had the best idea wrt to solo cruising - having those studio balcony cabins on their Quantum-class ships. It just seems that Royal is not yet fully committed to marketing to solo cruisers like NCL. Seems like Royal is just "dipping their toes" in the solo market to "feel how warm the water is", lol.

I agree with @FreestyleNovice, most likely NCL will continue on with their solo program and have studio cabins (& studio lounges) on the Leonardo-class ships. Who knows, NCL might even put some studio balcony cabins in, like RCL. As you can tell, I love balcony cabins even as a solo. I give big props to NCL for their studio cabins but for me personally, they are just too small and I don't like the fact that they are interior and don't have even an OV (yet alone balconies).

Guess we'll have to wait and see...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, farmersfight said:

You're right, NCL definitely leads the market for being solo friendly (numerous studio cabins on their newer/bigger ships, studio lounges - as you point out). Imo, Royal actually had the best idea wrt to solo cruising - having those studio balcony cabins on their Quantum-class ships. It just seems that Royal is not yet fully committed to marketing to solo cruisers like NCL. Seems like Royal is just "dipping their toes" in the solo market to "feel how warm the water is", lol.

I agree with @FreestyleNovice, most likely NCL will continue on with their solo program and have studio cabins (& studio lounges) on the Leonardo-class ships. Who knows, NCL might even put some studio balcony cabins in, like RCL. As you can tell, I love balcony cabins even as a solo. I give big props to NCL for their studio cabins but for me personally, they are just too small and I don't like the fact that they are interior and don't have even an OV (yet alone balconies).

Royal put studios on one or two of their Oasis class but then took them back out on Symphony. Quantum class do have balconies - but only like 10 of them. So they can sell out quick, I've seen them not be any cheaper than a regular balcony yet if you chose it over a regular balcony for the same price you only get 1 loyalty point per night while the regular one gives you 2 points. I'll be shocked if Royal has studios in their new ships once they move on from Quantum class. 

The size of NCL's studios don't bother me. Most of the extra square footage just goes towards enclosing the bathroom and that little hall that goes by the bathroom to get you into the room. In other words pretty much useless space. And the interior/oceanviews I've been in somehow have worse storage than the studios. On my last cruise prices started dropping so I got an upgrade from studio to an aft balcony and as I was unpacking I was like damn where does the second person put their stuff (excepting the hanging storage, though you need more hangers)? When I usually have some empty spaces in the studio.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Royal put studios on one or two of their Oasis class but then took them back out on Symphony. Quantum class do have balconies - but only like 10 of them. So they can sell out quick, I've seen them not be any cheaper than a regular balcony yet if you chose it over a regular balcony for the same price you only get 1 loyalty point per night while the regular one gives you 2 points. I'll be shocked if Royal has studios in their new ships once they move on from Quantum class. 

The size of NCL's studios don't bother me. Most of the extra square footage just goes towards enclosing the bathroom and that little hall that goes by the bathroom to get you into the room. In other words pretty much useless space. And the interior/oceanviews I've been in somehow have worse storage than the studios. On my last cruise prices started dropping so I got an upgrade from studio to an aft balcony and as I was unpacking I was like damn where does the second person put their stuff (excepting the hanging storage, though you need more hangers)? When I usually have some empty spaces in the studio.

A special note...

On Spectum of the Seas (Quantum Class 4), originally there were also only 12 studio balcony cabins, situated at the same location as on Quantum / Anthem / Ovation. Later Royal Caribbean changed the deck plan, in which some regular balcony cabins are re-classified as Category 2F studio balcony. Hence there are more studio balcony cabins on Spectrum now. I think Quantum / Anthem / Ovation do not have such changes.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

A special note...

On Spectum of the Seas (Quantum Class 4), originally there were also only 12 studio balcony cabins, situated at the same location as on Quantum / Anthem / Ovation. Later Royal Caribbean changed the deck plan, in which some regular balcony cabins are re-classified as Category 2F studio balcony. Hence there are more studio balcony cabins on Spectrum now. I think Quantum / Anthem / Ovation do not have such changes.

I checked Odyssey's deck plans and it's back to only 12 balconies. Though less helpful at the moment since Spectrum is over in China - think they changed deck plans again though as I only see 12 on Spectrum too. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I checked Odyssey's deck plans and it's back to only 12 balconies. Though less helpful at the moment since Spectrum is over in China - think they changed deck plans again though as I only see 12 on Spectrum too. 

Spectrum's deck plan is different from the real situation. There are actually far more than 12 studio balcony cabins on Spectrum but this is not reflected on the deck plan. I just tried to do a mock booking for 15th Dec 2020 Hong Kong roundtrip. After I choose Category 2F (studio balcony), there are some available cabin numbers on Deck 13 / 12 / 11 which are definitely not studio balcony originally.

Sorry to "hijack" this NCL thread. Let me start another thread on RCI boards later to discuss about this observation.

• Like 2

I guess for me, the actual cabin, preferably a balcony, is less important than the way we, as a group, are treated. 

I've only done 5 solo cruises and on 4 of the 5, the solo host/ess has been wonderful.  There was only one who flat-out refused to make dining arrangements for us; I suspect she wasn't very well trained.  She sat at our pre-dinner meetings and listened but contributed nothing, very unlike the others.

I've decided to take the plunge and book a studio cabin on the Bliss for Oct. 2022 so we'll see how that works. 

I'm really hoping that the Leonardo class ships have the studio cabins, perhaps even some studio balconies.  Also, I'd love to do the TA cruise from EU to NA, should be fun.

We'll see.  

Cheers

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, farmersfight said:

dont care about the solo cabins.

care about the last minute ncl deals with no solo supplement $50/night or less for solo inside cabins. (see my sig)

thats why ncl leads in the solo category

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, smplybcause said:

12 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Sorry to "hijack" this NCL thread. Let me start another thread on RCI boards later to discuss about this observation.

I have started a new thread on Royal Caribbean board about Spectrum of the Seas' studio balcony cabins. You may have a look if you are interested in it.

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2020 at 12:34 PM, fstuff1 said:

dont care about the solo cabins.

care about the last minute ncl deals with no solo supplement $50/night or less for solo inside cabins. (see my sig)

thats why ncl leads in the solo category

Yeah, on their website NCL used to designate certain cruises with solo fares by an "s". But then, NCL changed the website and I didn't see these "s" fares anymore. Last minute NCL fares with no solo supplements would be great. Also, just last minute NCL deals where you may even be able to book a regular balcony (or OV, inside) at such a great discount that it makes it feasible for us solos to book these cabins as well.

On 10/20/2020 at 12:11 PM, All-ready2cruise said:

I guess for me, the actual cabin, preferably a balcony, is less important than the way we, as a group, are treated. 

I've only done 5 solo cruises and on 4 of the 5, the solo host/ess has been wonderful.  There was only one who flat-out refused to make dining arrangements for us; I suspect she wasn't very well trained.  She sat at our pre-dinner meetings and listened but contributed nothing, very unlike the others.

I've decided to take the plunge and book a studio cabin on the Bliss for Oct. 2022 so we'll see how that works. 

I'm really hoping that the Leonardo class ships have the studio cabins, perhaps even some studio balconies.  Also, I'd love to do the TA cruise from EU to NA, should be fun.

We'll see.  

Cheers

Thanks for sharing your experiences with cruising solo @All-ready2cruise. 4 out of 5 host/ess that have been wonderful is a great track record and again, why NCL leads the way wrt solo cruising. Guess you can get 1 bad apple in any group - I think I read here on CC about a similar experience and the solos complained to Guest Services on the ship and they replaced the solo host/ess with another one.

I agree, love to do the inaugural TA on the first Leonardo-class ship hopefully, in a studio balcony!

Cheers 🥂

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 11:55 AM, Cruise Wonderland said:

Spectrum's deck plan is different from the real situation. There are actually far more than 12 studio balcony cabins on Spectrum but this is not reflected on the deck plan.

I didn't know this about Spectrum OTS having more than 12 studio balcony cabins. I did know that the rest of the Quantum class ships have 12 studio balcony cabins (6 each on 2 separate decks). Seems like RCL "dipped more than their toes in the water" in the solo market with Spectrum OTS (but as @smplybcause said, not much help since the ship is operating out of China) then RCl said "never mind" by reverting back to 12 studio balcony cabins on the new Odyssey OTS. Oh well, at least RCL kept the solo balcony cabins on the new build.

9 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Yeah, on their website NCL used to designate certain cruises with solo fares by an "s". But then, NCL changed the website and I didn't see these "s" fares anymore.

Last minute NCL fares with no solo supplements would be great. Also, just last minute NCL deals where you may even be able to book a regular balcony (or OV, inside) at such a great discount that it makes it feasible for us solos to book these cabins as well.

well, i usually only saw a 's' on cruises 10days  out or less.

since ncl isnt sailing till at least Dec, we're 4 weeks away from last minute.

and i dont expect last min solo sale pricing on the 1st  few cruises of the re-start

Edited by fstuff1