The Daily for Wednesday Aug 19, 2020

richwmn

2 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

Popped in to see all of the pictures. So many beautiful and different places in the world!

We did Pompeii in the fall. When I heard about Herculaneum, I know that that is where I would go if we were ever to get back to that area. 

In 2011/2012, I went to Cairo at Christmas/New Years to visit my daughter (Nile River cruise, as well). Because this was less than a year from the Egyptian revolution, there were very few tourists. Like you, it was great for us-personal service, no crowds-but my heart ached for the citizens who depended on tourism. When DH and I went back in the spring of 2016, things were still slow, but coming back. Last year, we didn't do any touristy things-we were there to greet, hold, and spoil our sweet  baby granddaughter.

A baby granddaughter- how wonderful!

Egypt is at the top of my bucket list, but I keep talking myself out of it. 
Would love to hear more about your experiences. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

Last year, we didn't do any touristy things-we were there to greet, hold, and spoil our sweet  baby granddaughter.

Aw, how wonderful!!

We went to Egypt in 2006, our 2nd cruise (Alaska was the first, big difference) 😉  Tried to go back in 2011, but the cruise lines were all cancelling Egypt.  Would love to go back though.  Going inside a pyramid was amazing!!

• Like 1

Thanks Rich. I was up early and got a picture while I was walking the dog but then things got busy so now I’m late to the posting.  My sunrise isn’t as spectacular as some but it was pretty. I did meet a wasp today and now I have a balloon hand. 

627A86DB-378D-497C-ACDC-415D7B7B6F02.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

A baby granddaughter- how wonderful!

Egypt is at the top of my bucket list, but I keep talking myself out of it. 
Would love to hear more about your experiences. 

So nice to have that sweet thing. We FB messenger about 4 days a week. She sees me and immediately says "Grandma", blows kisses and high fives the phone. 😄 Like the people of Turkey, the people in Egypt are wonderful. Seeing the juxtaposition of the old/ancient and the bustling modern, very busy city is amazing. I did the Nile Cruise with DD in 2011, and then with DH in 2016, AND I would do it again in a heartbeat! We were fortunate the second time to have a private egyptologist as the guide. So informative! We also did a side trip to the Red Sea and visited the Mount Sinai monastery So much to see!

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Aw, how wonderful!!

We went to Egypt in 2006, our 2nd cruise (Alaska was the first, big difference) 😉  Tried to go back in 2011, but the cruise lines were all cancelling Egypt.  Would love to go back though.  Going inside a pyramid was amazing!!

Seeing the pyramids-Giza and Saqqara (and another that I can't remember the name)-, was amazing, but seeing the Valley of the Kings from a hot air balloon-spectacular! My daughter reminded me today that we have yet to visit the "Whale desert" Next time that we go (as long as it isn't summer!)

Edited by Dismomx5
  • Like 4

And a lovely ending to a very busy, hectic with my Red Cross work on iPhone, iPad, and MacBook!  Fires keep popping up.  I live less than 10 miles from the largest one burning in Colorado now.  

This is my daily relaxation to come here and see such beautiful photos.  Yes, I have toured the world today with all the beautiful photos.  I can’t say thank you enough.  Have a pleasant Thursday!  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, cruzn single said:

And a lovely ending to a very busy, hectic with my Red Cross work on iPhone, iPad, and MacBook!  Fires keep popping up.  I live less than 10 miles from the largest one burning in Colorado now.  

This is my daily relaxation to come here and see such beautiful photos.  Yes, I have toured the world today with all the beautiful photos.  I can’t say thank you enough.  Have a pleasant Thursday!  

Thank you for what you do! Please be safe both with your wonderful work as well as with the fires in Colorado!! I pray the fire stays away from where you live!

have a good night !

Denise😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dismomx5 said:

seeing the Valley of the Kings from a hot air balloon-spectacular!

That's one reason I'd love to get back to Egypt, to see the Valley of the Kings (wish I could say from a hot air balloon, but I'm terrified of heights so that just wouldn't work for me). 😄

• Like 5

7 hours ago, lindaler said:

Thanks Rich. I was up early and got a picture while I was walking the dog but then things got busy so now I’m late to the posting.  My sunrise isn’t as spectacular as some but it was pretty. I did meet a wasp today and now I have a balloon hand. 

Love the picture but I’m sorry to hear about your wasp attacked hand 😞 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:
18 hours ago, dfish said:

Herculaneum is on my list of must visits.   I've been to Pompeii, but have read that Herculaneum is just as good.

We did Pompeii in the fall. When I heard about Herculaneum, I know that that is where I would go if we were ever to get back to that area

Herculaneum is fabulous.  Totally different than Pompeii.  We really enjoyed it.

8D21BD82-B6B4-420A-BBDC-7E0975DB956F.thumb.jpeg.93d501dfae2d87830ddf18a6baafe7f4.jpeg

603E99F6-1EF2-4D94-8616-9E15810C6E3A.thumb.jpeg.3135089e9ec2b343a8f90c37677d38ac.jpeg

The mosaics show up quite well.

438E22F0-8665-4FA5-BE49-FAA76EDC9C88.thumb.jpeg.6b16e822d4197cf86e1284485870e6d8.jpeg

FF620271-6518-4AF1-AF11-9871D62B8710.thumb.jpeg.d7325d7fe4a9d7c6503091466f5bffab.jpeg

BF4D8412-6CC3-4149-A6AE-9C20971E0227.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, lindaler said:

Great pic. An ethereal quality to the sun! Take care of that hand. I hate wasps. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

So nice to have that sweet thing. We FB messenger about 4 days a week. She sees me and immediately says "Grandma", blows kisses and high fives the phone. 😄 Like the people of Turkey, the people in Egypt are wonderful. Seeing the juxtaposition of the old/ancient and the bustling modern, very busy city is amazing. I did the Nile Cruise with DD in 2011, and then with DH in 2016, AND I would do it again in a heartbeat! We were fortunate the second time to have a private egyptologist as the guide. So informative! We also did a side trip to the Red Sea and visited the Mount Sinai monastery So much to see!

Seeing the pyramids-Giza and Saqqara (and another that I can't remember the name)-, was amazing, but seeing the Valley of the Kings from a hot air balloon-spectacular! My daughter reminded me today that we have yet to visit the "Whale desert" Next time that we go (as long as it isn't summer!)

Thank you for sharing! Did you visit Abu Simbel, too?

Did you feel uncomfortable about security anywhere? Though if you were not traveling with a large group of tourists, perhaps you would not be a target.

Stay well!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bennybear said:

I have always wanted to visit Egypt, hopefully one day!  My friend visited last year, her first overseas trip and was amazed! 

Did she visit with a tour group? If so, did she mention feeling uncomfortable about safety at anytime?

12 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

The details & colors are amazing! Thank you!

You are most welcome.  Pompeii was buried in lava while Herculaneum by mud IIRC so more things like mosaics were preserved when the mud was removed.

Herculaneum is much smaller than Pompeii but it is enthralling.  I definitely recommend a licensed guide for Herculaneum (as I do for Pompeii) They can tell you so much.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Did she visit with a tour group? If so, did she mention feeling uncomfortable about safety at anytime?

She was  fortunate in her husband having family there.  They stayed in a compound but did travel on to Luxor on their own.  She found it quite chaotic at times, and her insurance wouldn’t cover her in Cairo but it sounded simply amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Herculaneum is fabulous.  Totally different than Pompeii.  We really enjoyed it.

8D21BD82-B6B4-420A-BBDC-7E0975DB956F.thumb.jpeg.93d501dfae2d87830ddf18a6baafe7f4.jpeg

603E99F6-1EF2-4D94-8616-9E15810C6E3A.thumb.jpeg.3135089e9ec2b343a8f90c37677d38ac.jpeg

438E22F0-8665-4FA5-BE49-FAA76EDC9C88.thumb.jpeg.6b16e822d4197cf86e1284485870e6d8.jpeg

FF620271-6518-4AF1-AF11-9871D62B8710.thumb.jpeg.d7325d7fe4a9d7c6503091466f5bffab.jpeg

BF4D8412-6CC3-4149-A6AE-9C20971E0227.jpeg

Kazu, thank you. Those pictures are beautiful, and the mosaics!!! So detailed and colourful!

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for sharing! Did you visit Abu Simbel, too?

Did you feel uncomfortable about security anywhere? Though if you were not traveling with a large group of tourists, perhaps you would not be a target.

Stay well!

Yes, Abu Simbel was on both cruises. Wow! I never felt uncomfortable with being in Egypt at all. The first trip was DD and myself (occasionally her then boyfriend) to do Cairo, and DD and me in a group of maybe 15/20 on the Nile Cruise with 2 guides. The second time, it was DD and her hubby, DH and me in Cairo and at the Red Sea/Mount Sinai. The river cruise was arranged through a tour company in Egypt (Tour Egypt with George) and it was just DH and I with our guide, who was fabulous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kazu said:

That area is so rich in sites,  we enjoyed Herculaneum as well.  

There are also some other villas in the area.  Since you liked mosaics I thought I would post some of Oplontis.  They had semiprecious stones 

DDBFEE6E-9D69-485F-8825-883E7203BCF9.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 2