So confused please help

Ms Jo UK

My TA is not available so I am hoping people here can answer my questions.

In 2019  we booked a 10 day cruise for April 2021, and paid deposit (NRD ).  We are thinking we may not want to sail and would like to know if other than losing $900 deposit we have any other options.  Thanks

We already have  2 other cruises in 2021 (with Royal)  booked and a pricey cruise in 2022 booked (Solstice 14 night Singapore to Japan) we really do want to book anymore cruises at this time,so I really don't think we have any options.  Thank you for your suggestions so far.

If you cancel your NRD will be returned in form of FCC.  If your other cruises are with Celebrity this may be an option for you.

One note about moving a NRD to a "placeholder" cruise you intend to move again in the future.  I'm pretty sure you will be charged the $100 pp admin fee for the second move even though they waive it for the first one.

Of course this information is based on their current policies and who knows what the policies will be in the future.  I think you can count on the current policies to be consistent at least until Sept 30 when Lift & Shift expires.

13 hours ago, Ms Jo UK said:

We already have  2 other cruises in 2021 (with Royal)  booked and a pricey cruise in 2022 booked (Solstice 14 night Singapore to Japan) we really do want to book anymore cruises at this time, so I really don't think we have any options.  Thank you for your suggestions so far.

I have read in other threads that Celebrity has been pretty good about refunding NRD deposits during this Virus situation. I would wait to either talk to your TA or Celebrity before you panic too much. If they give you a FCC maybe X will let you apply it to the Solstice 2022 cruise. We originally booked our August 2021 Spain cruise before the pandemic with a NDR deposit. We since rebooked when prices dropped and 4 perks were offered in a sale and the NDR became a fully refundable deposit with the rebooking.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 1

The best advice for now is to not do anything until you need to make final payment.  The worst case is that you are charged $100/person administrative fee and you get the rest in FCC that you can apply to another Celebrity cruise.  You indicated that you are already booked on the Solstice.  Perhaps Celebrity will offer a better deal sometime between now and the time for final payment.  Maybe between now and then you will identify another cruise that you want to take and you can switch it to that cruise and perhaps avoid the admin fee.   There's no advantage to doing anything now, so just wait and see how things evolve.

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I have read in other threads that Celebrity has been pretty good about refunding NRD deposits during this Virus situation. I would wait to either talk to your TA or Celebrity before you panic too much....

Have they been refunding the NRD's when you cancel the cruise or only when they cancel the cruise?

1 minute ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Have they been refunding the NRD's when you cancel the cruise or only when they cancel the cruise?

There have been so many threads about this subject it is hard to remember if the situation was one or the other.

@Ms Jo UK If your cruise in April happens to also be on the Solstice, they should let you cancel that one and transfer the funds directly to your 14 day Solstice. Celebrity's policy when you booked allowed for that type of direct transfer to an exiting booking on the same ship without any fee or going through the FCC process (I don't think it can be used as the initial deposit, but I do not know for sure).

Which leads to another possible solution, more convoluted, if it was not Solstice: book a new cruise with refundable deposit in 2022 on the same ship as your April 2021 cruise. Shift the funds to that cruise (no fee or FCC if that policy is still in place). Then you will be able to decide to cancel far in the future (or cruise if you think conditions have changed). It might result in FCC or, hopefully, total refund.

Edited by mayleeman

On 8/20/2020 at 1:56 PM, terrydtx said:

have read in other threads that Celebrity has been pretty good about refunding NRD deposits during this Virus situation. I would wait to either talk to your TA or Celebrity before you panic too much. If they give you a FCC maybe X will let you apply it to the Solstice 2022 cruise.

NOT in my experience.

We cancelled our August 1st  Ruisdael, on 17th April, as at that time Celebrity required a Doctors ‘Fit to Sail’ letter he text over 70’s. Our TA told us that we would get FCC, but all we needed to do would be to give our number when we rebooked ( not sure if this is the booking number, or Captain’s Club #).

However, I later contacted Celebrity to ask for a refund and was told our UK booking was not eligible for a refund, but to contact our Insurance company. I did that and I was paid the deposit of £300-£20, which was the excess.

At no time have I been issued with a FCC.

3 hours ago, upwarduk said:

However, I later contacted Celebrity to ask for a refund and was told our UK booking was not eligible for a refund, but to contact our Insurance company. I did that and I was paid the deposit of £300-£20, which was the excess.

At no time have I been issued with a FCC.

I think location is key -- the rules are different for those in the UK vs. USA (and I am sure other countries).  In the US, we have been able to get FCCs for NRDs when we cancel as part of their pandemic response.  Celebrity is not taking the administrative fee.