Where was I?

Could it be the spot in the Pacific that Australian bases ships cruise around to qualify as having been in "international" waters? I believe it's an isalnd but ships can't stop there - can't recall its name.

39 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Could it be the spot in the Pacific that Australian bases ships cruise around to qualify as having been in "international" waters? I believe it's an isalnd but ships can't stop there - can't recall its name.

Willis Island? I think that's flatter than the place in the picture.

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Willis Island? I think that's flatter than the place in the picture.

I just googled this "Willis" island.. and what's so special about it anyway? Looks kinda weird and empty to me if you ask. In any case, it could be a wonderfull place for a group BBQ or smth 

7 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I just googled this "Willis" island.. and what's so special about it anyway? Looks kinda weird and empty to me if you ask. In any case, it could be a wonderfull place for a group BBQ or smth 

Willis Is is a manned weather station out past the Northern Great Barrier Reef. It's importance with coastal cruises is you go into International waters , so your cruise ship can then sell Duty Free goods. Win win. You may notice some around Aus cruises also either call into PNG or Bali for the same reason.

Edited by vada_9
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

The ships only go there as it is considered international waters, allows the ships to sell duty free booze, cigarettes, perfumes etc. No landings.

I think it depends in where you go in those places, some areas of PNG, if you get out of the port areas, and especially someone of the islands are beautiful.

BTW, I haven't  been to Bali, but from what others have told me that the same  applies, getting away from Kuta is key.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I think it depends in where you go in those places, some areas of PNG, if you get out of the port areas, and especially someone of the islands are beautiful.

BTW, I haven't  been to Bali, but from what others have told me that the same  applies, getting away from Kuta is key.

I've been to Bali and I would agree, Kuta is good for accommodation and eating (and partying if your so inclined) but the places worth visiting and are truly remarkable you need to get out of that area. 

P. S. Just a friendly reminder in case the thread drift confuses😉@By The Bay it's your turn to post a photo whenever your ready. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I would agree, but those places are not palatable to me.  I was in PNG in 1970 and again in 2006, not much had changed who pinched all the Aussie Foreign Aid, dollars?  As for Bali, well if you like markets, temples and drunken Strayans in Kuta, go there.

17 minutes ago, qbay46 said:

Caschafor Park, Forsyth, QLD

Correct, that was quick (I believe you on the name of the park)(and I even had a clue for this)   - "The end of the line"

Edited by vada_9