Where was I?

Thanks Docker123

Have been to Esperance many year ago... but my Mum saw it on a bus trip...

Taken mid morning  after a long walk    you get extra points  if you know where it was taken from......  before heading back for lunch on the balcony and a glass of wine

again this photo is about 5 photos joined together   cheers Don

949246134_newphotopana_3069361.thumb.jpg.3b6b89698849fb61aa82cd3b0a2da7a7.jpg

2 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Thanks Docker123

Have been to Esperance many year ago... but my Mum saw it on a bus trip...

Taken mid morning  after a long walk    you get extra points  if you know where it was taken from......  before heading back for lunch on the balcony and a glass of wine

again this photo is about 5 photos joined together   cheers Don

949246134_newphotopana_3069361.thumb.jpg.3b6b89698849fb61aa82cd3b0a2da7a7.jpg

Port chalmers , taken from the rhododendron garden?

2 minutes ago, boeckli said:

Port chalmers , taken from the rhododendron garden?

Close enough    actually further up the hill at centenary look out where the robert scott memorial is.....  so I am afraid you miss out on the bonus prize.....  but you get to post the next photo

Cheers Don 

2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

What is the story of the tower?

Is Williamstown south of Melbourne City?

A link which contains a lot of info......  

https://lighthouses.org.au/vic/williamstown-time-ball-tower/

Live in melbourne and have never seen it... shocking   lol

It is outside the 5km lock down limit....so once it is lifted will go and take a look

Cheers Don

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

What is the story of the tower?

Is Williamstown south of Melbourne City?

It was originally a lighthouse, built during the 1840s I think and the ball was put on top and dropped every hour on the hour so that ships' captains could set their clocks. 

Williamstown is a bayside suburb, on the south west side of the city. It was the original port for Melbourne. it is on the opposite of the bay from Station Pier, Port Melbourne.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

42 minutes ago, possum52 said:

It was originally a lighthouse, built during the 1840s I think and the ball was put on top and dropped every hour on the hour so that ships' captains could set their clocks. 

Williamstown is a bayside suburb, on the south west side of the city. It was the original port for Melbourne. it is on the opposite of the bay from Station Pier, Port Melbourne.

Leigh

Thanks, Leigh.  That is an interesting part of history.  Just checking that was the place I intended to visit next time I'm in Melbourne for the Australian Tennis Open.  

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks, Leigh.  That is an interesting part of history.  Just checking that was the place I intended to visit next time I'm in Melbourne for the Australian Tennis Open.  

If you do happen to be able to be here for the Open Marion, my grandson has been offered a position as a ball kid. He is quite excited. This year he did the Kooyong Classic and loved it.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Marion you can get to Williamstown by train from either Flinders Street Station or Southern Cross Station or by ferry.

Ferry to Williamstown

I think there may be a couple of other ferry services too.

Leigh

The timeball tower is at the end of Point Gellibrand. Williamstown is mostly on that point.

The idea was that the ball would drop at 1pm local time. This allowed the ships to set one chronometer to local time, with another always set at Greenwich time. Then used for more precise navigation.

The Williamstown one was repaired some years ago and is still operated on occasions.

It is a place I pass often on my walks.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Marion you can get to Williamstown by train from either Flinders Street Station or Southern Cross Station or by ferry.

Ferry to Williamstown

Leigh

There is also a ferry service that runs from Station Pier. Very handy for cruisers. But not a big number of services.

Edited by Docker123
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, possum52 said:

If you do happen to be able to be here for the Open Marion, my grandson has been offered a position as a ball kid. He is quite excited. This year he did the Kooyong Classic and loved it.

Leigh

What an honour for your grandson.  I hope he gets to see some of his favourite players up close.  I'm waiting to hear whether the public will be able to attend the Open next year.

29 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Ferry to Williamstown

Leigh

The person who recommended Williamstown to me did a day trip by ferry.  

• Like 1

Just now, MMDown Under said:

What an honour for your grandson.  I hope he gets to see some of his favourite players up close.  I'm waiting to hear whether the public will be able to attend the Open next year.

Yes, he is very excited. I doubt if a decision will be made for sometime Marion, if the public attend the Open. I'm sure the Open officials want the crowds but it is still all a big unknown where we will be in January Covid 19 wise.

Leigh

29 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

The timeball tower is at the end of Point Gellibrand. Williamstown is mostly on that point.

The idea was that the ball would drop at 1pm local time. This allowed the ships to set one chronometer to local time, with another always set at Greenwich time. Then used for more precise navigation.

The Williamstown one was repaired some years ago and is still operated on occasions.

It is a place I pass often on my walks.

Thanks for the info on the drop. I knew it dropped at 1PM to check their clock but I always wondered why it wasn't mid-day.