Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's my next contribution. This is one of my photos showing another view of a port we've already seen. I've erased the wording on the sign which would have given it away otherwise. Perhaps the logo I've left intact will help. If additional clues are needed, I may start revealing one word at a time on that sign. I'm not sure how much the cranes in the background will help, @sfred😉

There's a lot of good clues in this photo - the logo, the pilot boat, the silos, and the cargo cranes.  But I haven't gotten a match on anything.  The logo especially should have come up in a search, with its distinctive shape and colours.  I'll keep trying later today, although I may need to wait for an additional clue.

Here's a new version of my latest photo with the first two words revealed on the sign. That should help eliminate a good potion of the world although it does still leave quite a bit of the world as possibilities. One additional hint is this photo is over 10 years old. The sign has apparently been redesigned in recent years with a different logo.

1340541124_WhereintheWorld(110a).thumb.jpg.750033cf9718a6af6a95ee99fb121da9.jpg

44 minutes ago, North West Newbie said:

Somewhere in Mexico, perhaps?

That's a good thought @North West Newbie.  I thought the logo looked vaguely Mexican / Aztec also.  But yesterday I looked at all the Mexico ports on our seen list (there are 10) and couldn't find a match.  Of course I might have missed somewhere.  I see that @Essiesmom has eliminated Costa Rica.  The search continues....

Well spotted @Essiesmom!!  Very impressive.

One of the searches I tried yesterday was for "Central America flying bird" but I guess that wasn't specific enough to bring up any images of the Quetzal.  There are several photos on wikimedia commons - here's one of them.

There have been a few changes to the other clues in @bluemarble's photo.  Looks like the pilot boat got replaced with a newer version, and moved into the water from off the pier.  The cargo cranes got replaced to a different shape and colour in a newer container facility.  But the silos are still there, as are the cargo warehouses.

Good challenge, thanks @bluemarble.

File:Resplendent Quetzal (Pharomachrus mocinno) (5772512254).jpg

Edited by sfred

It is a rainy Sunday here in Brisbane, and @Essiesmom freed up time that otherwise was going towards researching @bluemarble's recent Puerto Quetzal photo.  So I've gone ahead and added "Language" as a field in the Cunard ports dataset.

Not surprisingly, English dominates as the most frequent primary language of our 593 seen ports, at 204 (34.4 percent).  The top 10 languages are shown in the below graph:

image.png.6ae41084b9436787e40db34213b9b03c.png

These top 10 languages cover a total of 470 ports, or 79 percent of the current total of 593.  There are 51 unique primary languages across all of the seen Cunard ports and cruise-bys.

To identify the Language field, I used the following guidelines:

• Google was my reference source for the official primary language(s) of each country.
  • Where a country spoke multiple languages, I used the official language that Google reported as currently spoken by a majority of the population.
  • Where different parts of a country spoke different official languages, I used the relevant language for that specific port.  For example, Quebec ports in Canada are classified as French and other Canadian ports as English.  Flemish ports in Belgium are classified as Dutch, others French.  Greek ports in Cyprus are Greek, others Turkish.  China ports are either Mandarin, Hainanese, or Cantonese.  etc.
  • I did not attempt to distinguish between smaller dialect differences.  For example, all dialects of Arabic are combined into Arabic, French and French Creole are all French. Spanish and Catalan are Spanish.  Australian, Scottish, Geordie, Cornish, and English are all English (🙂).  I hope I have not offended anyone in the process!

Questions or comments?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I was thinking about this. I wondered if Stornoway might qualify as Gaelic. I suspect Portree might fall on the English side of the line. 😁

What about Holyhead in Anglesey, very much a Welsh speaking part of Wales?

8 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I was thinking about this. I wondered if Stornoway might qualify as Gaelic. I suspect Portree might fall on the English side of the line. 😁

7 hours ago, exlondoner said:

What about Holyhead in Anglesey, very much a Welsh speaking part of Wales?

Thanks @Colin_Cameron and @exlondoner.  I've changed the language for Stornoway to Gaelic, and Holyhead to Welsh.   Also upon further consideration, I've changed Barcelona from Spanish to Catalan.  Those changes grow the number of unique languages to 54.

39 minutes ago, sogne said:

the lighthouse should be easy but what is the anchor port visited least once by QM2  a short distance to the east and the name of the stretch of water to the south?

123.JPG

xcv.JPG

Nice photographs, interesting subject!

Recognised the bigger of the two lighthouses as Lismore near the Sound of Mull.

Smaller light is Lady's Rock Beacon, admit I had to look the name up.

That places the anchor port to the east as Oban. 

The stretch of water is Sound of Kerrera? I had to look at a map to answer though so maybe not the answer you seek.

Queen Victoria performed a cruise-by during the summer of 2022 in the area, not sure if Lismore was included?

2 hours ago, Yaldi said:

Nice photographs, interesting subject!

Recognised the bigger of the two lighthouses as Lismore near the Sound of Mull.

Smaller light is Lady's Rock Beacon, admit I had to look the name up.

That places the anchor port to the east as Oban. 

The stretch of water is Sound of Kerrera? I had to look at a map to answer though so maybe not the answer you seek.

Queen Victoria performed a cruise-by during the summer of 2022 in the area, not sure if Lismore was included?

Oban is correct but not the Sound of Kerrera .  A much larger stretch of water is in the second photo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sogne said:

Oban is correct but not the Sound of Kerrera .  A much larger stretch of water is in the second photo.

I know (from a distillery tour of the Islands) that the ferry into Oban from the south sails up Loch Etive, but I didn’t find photos online of that loch that matched yours in perspective. 

Of course, one much larger stretch of water to the south of Mull is known as the North Atlantic Ocean.

11 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I'm going to go with Firth of Lorn/Lorne as the stretch of water to the south of Lismore Lighthouse that @sogne is looking for. That would have been a cruise-by location for several Cunard ships doing their "Isle of Mull Scenic Cruising" itineraries.

Spot on again