Broadway/West End Shows Onboard

I want to do some vicarious planning for the future.  Does anyone have a full list of all of the Broadway/West End Shows playing on Royal Caribbean ships (which ship has which show)?  I think this is one of the great attractions of Royal to see great productions of major shows.    Both DW and I love Mamma Mia which we saw on both the Quantum and Allure.  We also liked Hair Spray and We Will Rock You.  Though we didn't like the original We Will Rock You but enjoyed it after it was reworked on Anthem.  We both didn't care for the production of Cats.  On next cruise will be either Quantum or Ovation for Alaska next summer and would like to know what each is showing.

1 minute ago, Airbear232 said:

Does anyone have a full list of all of the Broadway/West End Shows playing on Royal Caribbean ships (which ship has which show)?  I think this is one of the great attractions of Royal to see great productions of major shows.    Both DW and I love Mamma Mia which we saw on both the Quantum and Allure.  We also liked Hair Spray and We Will Rock You.  Though we didn't like the original We Will Rock You but enjoyed it after it was reworked on Anthem.  We both didn't care for the production of Cats.  

Interesting how individual taste varies.  We loved Cats (see my avatar) but would recommend everyone read a summary of the story before viewing.    We agree on Mamma Mia and Hair Spray.  We didn't care for We Will Rock You, except for the final two songs.

As for your question, I hope there are other here who can provide the information you seek.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Interesting how individual taste varies.  We loved Cats (see my avatar) but would recommend everyone read a summary of the story before viewing.    We agree on Mamma Mia and Hair Spray.  We didn't care for We Will Rock You, except for the final two songs.

As for your question, I hope there are other here who can provide the information you seek.

I love CATS and my avatar is a dog.😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, drsel said:

I also love Cats, but there is nothing to beat Mamma Mia

I didn't dislike Mamma Mia, but almost everything beats it, Cats especially.

Shows like Mamma Mia, Grease, We Will Rock You and Saturday Night Fever don't feel like real Broadway* shows to me. They just feel like vehicles for time piece music and dancing.

Hairspray did feel like (is?) a more legit Broadway show.

But I get what RCCL is looking for when they put on a production, which is lots of music and chances to dance and less acting. A lot of stuff on Broadway wouldn't appeal to cruising audiences and some (Phantom?) are just too complex.

*when I write Broadway, it is shorthand for Broadway/West End

Liberty has Saturday Night Fever. Good dancing and decent singing (depending on cast) but overall REALLY hated it. Just not a good show (not into the 70's thing even though that is when I grew up) and far from being family friendly. Typically would go in just to see the salsa number and then leave.

Saw three shows on Ovation 2 years ago (inaugural Alaska trip). The high-tech show (Pixel) started out great (cool robotics) but then turned into the worst production I have ever seen regardless of location (cruise or on-land). Singing was not very good and to say that most of the dancers were "over-weight" was an understatement (several were full-on obese). Just painful to watch. To quote my kids (9 and 12 at the time): "Wow. That was just gross.".  Evidently they were at the end of their contract and were to be replaced the following week. The show likely would be better with a different cast but overall was just disjointed.    

However, the other major show on the Ovation (The Beautiful Dream) was absolutely incredible. By far the best show I have seen on any cruise. Fantastic, heart-felt story that flowed well. Given a choice, I would pick it over just about any Broadway production I have seen. 

Pretty sure there was one more "variety show" on Ovation but it was pretty unremarkable.     

1 hour ago, Airbear232 said:

I want to do some vicarious planning for the future.  Does anyone have a full list of all of the Broadway/West End Shows playing on Royal Caribbean ships (which ship has which show)?  I think this is one of the great attractions of Royal to see great productions of major shows.    Both DW and I love Mamma Mia which we saw on both the Quantum and Allure.  We also liked Hair Spray and We Will Rock You.  Though we didn't like the original We Will Rock You but enjoyed it after it was reworked on Anthem.  We both didn't care for the production of Cats.  On next cruise will be either Quantum or Ovation for Alaska next summer and would like to know what each is showing.

Neither of those ships has a Broadway show.

29 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I didn't dislike Mamma Mia, but almost everything beats it, Cats especially.

Shows like Mamma Mia, Grease, We Will Rock You and Saturday Night Fever don't feel like real Broadway* shows to me. They just feel like vehicles for time piece music and dancing.

Hairspray did feel like (is?) a more legit Broadway show.

But I get what RCCL is looking for when they put on a production, which is lots of music and chances to dance and less acting. A lot of stuff on Broadway wouldn't appeal to cruising audiences and some (Phantom?) are just too complex.

*when I write Broadway, it is shorthand for Broadway/West End

Shows like Mamma Mia and We Will Rock You are known in the business as "jukebox shows."  They exist only to showcase particular songs, usually by one group.

Mamma Mia = ABBA

We Will Rock You = Queen

Jersey Boys = Four Seasons

Saturday Night Fever = Bee Gees

Motown: The Musical = a time/genre/group of groups, rather than one group

Beautiful = Carole King

On Your Feet = Gloria Estefan

There are many more.  These are just some examples.

These jukebox shows are favored by cruiselines because they are generally cheaper to produce, and if chosen well, appeal to more people because they know the music.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Shows like Mamma Mia and We Will Rock You are known in the business as "jukebox shows."  They exist only to showcase particular songs, usually by one group.

Mamma Mia = ABBA

We Will Rock You = Queen

Jersey Boys = Four Seasons

Saturday Night Fever = Bee Gees

Motown: The Musical = a time/genre/group of groups, rather than one group

Beautiful = Carole King

On Your Feet = Gloria Estefan

There are many more.  These are just some examples. These jukebox shows are favored by cruise lines because they are generally cheaper to produce, and if chosen well, appeal to more people because they know the music.

Great point and post, but I'll separate Jersey Boys because I felt it had a real plot and really did tell a cohesive story about Frankie Valli and the 4S (and because it started in La Jolla).

30 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Great point and post, but I'll separate Jersey Boys because I felt it had a real plot and really did tell a cohesive story about Frankie Valli and the 4S (and because it started in La Jolla).

+1 on Jersey Boys. I loved that show...but haven’t seen a cruise ship production.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I knew that NCL had a production, I just meant that I hadn’t seen it.  I’m sure it’s good...great show. We saw it in London after a TA on Jewel a few years ago.

On the Allure TA, we had a tribute group on the last night. I think the lead played FV in the West End production for seversl years 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RockHoundTX said:

Liberty has Saturday Night Fever. Good dancing and decent singing (depending on cast) but overall REALLY hated it. Just not a good show (not into the 70's thing even though that is when I grew up) and far from being family friendly. Typically would go in just to see the salsa number and then leave.

Saw three shows on Ovation 2 years ago (inaugural Alaska trip). The high-tech show (Pixel) started out great (cool robotics) but then turned into the worst production I have ever seen regardless of location (cruise or on-land). Singing was not very good and to say that most of the dancers were "over-weight" was an understatement (several were full-on obese). Just painful to watch. To quote my kids (9 and 12 at the time): "Wow. That was just gross.".  Evidently they were at the end of their contract and were to be replaced the following week. The show likely would be better with a different cast but overall was just disjointed.    

However, the other major show on the Ovation (The Beautiful Dream) was absolutely incredible. By far the best show I have seen on any cruise. Fantastic, heart-felt story that flowed well. Given a choice, I would pick it over just about any Broadway production I have seen. 

Pretty sure there was one more "variety show" on Ovation but it was pretty unremarkable.     

I liked Saturday night fever on Liberty. However I do agree that it is not family friendly.

My only complaint is that they leave same show on same ship for 5 years or so, so if you want to leave from Texas you have no choice and while I liked Saturday night fever I do not want to see it for a third time, Jersey boys and Beautiful I wouldn’t mind at all did see beautiful twice on broadway and once in Dallas. 

On my last cruise on the Anthem someone asked if they were going to change the show from Rock of Ages and the captain said in order to change sets they have to cut a hole in the side of the ship... so probably not anytime soon. 

I thought that was an interesting tidbit.

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Loved the music, but I remember thinking after it was over, "Wow, that was a pretty dark story!"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DMac1983 said:

On my last cruise on the Anthem someone asked if they were going to change the show from Rock of Ages and the captain said in order to change sets they have to cut a hole in the side of the ship... so probably not anytime soon. 

Yikes !  Yep....might be a while for that one

7 hours ago, RFerrington said:

+1 on Jersey Boys. I loved that show...but haven’t seen a cruise ship production.

7 hours ago, RFerrington said:

I knew that NCL had a production, I just meant that I hadn’t seen it.  I’m sure it’s good...great show. We saw it in London after a TA on Jewel a few years ago.

I wasn't listing just shows that are on cruise ships.  I was giving examples of Jukebox Shows.

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

On the Allure TA, we had a tribute group on the last night. I think the lead played FV in the West End production for seversl years 

The Unexpected  Boys?

5 hours ago, George C said:

My only complaint is that they leave same show on same ship for 5 years or so, so if you want to leave from Texas you have no choice and while I liked Saturday night fever I do not want to see it for a third time, Jersey boys and Beautiful I wouldn’t mind at all did see beautiful twice on broadway and once in Dallas. 

They cost multi-millions of dollars to stage.  "Plain" production shows, some of them, have been on the ship for 8 to 10 years.  😲

5 hours ago, DMac1983 said:

You didn't see Rock of Ages.  You saw We Will Rock You.  ☺️

12 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

They cost multi-millions of dollars to stage.  "Plain" production shows, some of them, have been on the ship for 8 to 10 years.  😲

I understand the cost but I would think they could switch productions from one ship to another . Traveling tour companies move all the time from one city to another, even some local theaters have very quick turnovers . 

Edited by George C
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

I understand the cost but I would think they could switch productions from one ship to another . Traveling tour companies move all the time from one city to another, even some local theaters have very quick turnovers . 

Some have moved.  Oasis and Allure switched out their shows at five years.   But never less than five.

And the fact is that RC doesn't really care that frequent cruisers are "bored" by the shows.  They are more interested in "normal" cruisers.

☺️

• Like 1