Knew it was coming..

disneyochem

11 hours ago, jennybenny said:

it’s just sad that we haven’t been able to get safety protocols in place to cruise

The issue is less a factor of having safety protocols necessary to cruise and has more to do with the fact that the cruise lines aren't going to take cruises to nowhere.  Port countries, cities and islands are just not ready to allow 3,000 to 17,000 people a day descend the gangways to pay a visit.  If the ports say "You aren't welcome yet", then the cruise line has to cancel.  We have no way of knowing when other countries and local authorities will be ready to accept cruise ships back into their ports. But until they do, the cruise industry is stuck, no matter how safety conscious the passengers intend to be. 

11 hours ago, jennybenny said:

This world cruise cancellation is just the sad truth that our December cruise will be cancelled as well. I suppose I too knew it was coming.. it’s just sad that we haven’t been able to get safety protocols in place to cruise
Wonder when we will be notified...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are most likely right that we won't be sailing in December of this year.  I have set my expectations pretty low for early 2021, as well.  However, I believe the world cruise sailing was bound to go, as I believe the cruiselines will have to adjust their itineraries to include more shorter sailings (7 days or less) and include only ports where passengers have relatively easy access for medical care or debarkation if necessary.  I'd assumed anything that is out in the middle of the ocean for long periods of time would be out of the question right now, such as their trans ocean itineraries.  These are simply my opinions, as I read something to this affect earlier on during the suspension of operations and I have no source to this.  

Anyway, I wouldn't hold out hope for anything this year happening but, there is always that slight chance it will depending on the itinerary.  

• Like 1

OK, it looks like the "Double Your Deposit" offer from Princess for cruises they cancel, is off the table.  But, I'm still thinking I will pay off our March and April 2021 cruises (except for port taxes), so we can get the 125% total FCCs.  We already have an alternative cruise picked out.

We are leaving port taxes unpaid because they are not included in FCCs (as far as I know; correct me if I'm wrong, please), and we get the port taxes refunded in cash.  They will be paid on final payment date.

I can't book the new one yet, because Princess said the pricing won't be available until Sept/Oct (it's a segment of the 2022 World Cruise).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

The issue is less a factor of having safety protocols necessary to cruise and has more to do with the fact that the cruise lines aren't going to take cruises to nowhere.  Port countries, cities and islands are just not ready to allow 3,000 to 17,000 people a day descend the gangways to pay a visit.  If the ports say "You aren't welcome yet", then the cruise line has to cancel.  We have no way of knowing when other countries and local authorities will be ready to accept cruise ships back into their ports. But until they do, the cruise industry is stuck, no matter how safety conscious the passengers intend to be. 

And this may be another example of how the cruiselines are really between a rock and a hard place. Countries won't let them visit until the ships prove they are "safe," but they can't prove they are "safe" until they start sailing. Catch-22?

Edited by latserrof

11 minutes ago, latserrof said:

And this may be another example of how the cruiselines are really between a rock and a hard place. Countries won't let them visit until the ships prove they are "safe," but they can't prove they are "safe" until they start sailing. Catch-22?

I wonder if it isn't more a factor of WHERE the ships are sailing from?  Right now, no one wants US citizens coming into their country:  we have a bad rep for covid19.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, latserrof said:

Which brings us back to the question (and answer) that is going to be necessary to get everything back on track:  "Are all your passengers vaccinated?"  This is the question that the port countries are going to need an answer to before they let 17,000 Americans  a day storm their beaches. 

The newest cancellations are for the Island and Pacific.  Island doing So America (terribly hit by Covid) and World Cruise which is quite obvious.  

Cruise lines are changing what regions ships will be in left and right.  And I don’t expect that Princess will instantly start back with all 18 ships.

We fell victim this week with Cunard taking their 3 ships to Europe for the 2021 season which forced cancellation of their Alaska season.  We were booked on the Elizabeth for this August in Alaska and was cancelled so we moved it to 2021.  Now that is cancelled.  We now are booked on Star Princess for Alaska August 2021 - used my 125% FCC I got for cancelled March TA and splurged for a mini suite.  Will owe very little after I get deposit refund from Cunard!  Win win.

We are hoping to be on Crown Princess Dec 29 for Panama Canal.  Final pay is 9/25 but we do not plan on paying it.

Rule number one for seasoned travelers...Be Flexible.

23 hours ago, pcur said:

OK, it looks like the "Double Your Deposit" offer from Princess for cruises they cancel, is off the table.  But, I'm still thinking I will pay off our March and April 2021 cruises (except for port taxes), so we can get the 125% total FCCs.  We already have an alternative cruise picked out.

or not ... looks like the 'double' is back for the Australia cruises Princess cancelled yesterday

maybe it was just the World Cruise that didn't get that offer if not paid in full

j/s

1 hour ago, gardenbunny said:

Now that is cancelled.  We now are booked on Star Princess for Alaska August 2021 - used my 125% FCC I got for cancelled March TA and splurged for a mini suite.  

Not to be Debbie Downer.....but we are also on the Star next summer to Alaska and based on some of the posts about ship and itinerary changes I wouldn't be surprised if this changes too.  

57 minutes ago, voljeep said:

or not ... looks like the 'double' is back for the Australia cruises Princess cancelled yesterday

maybe it was just the World Cruise that didn't get that offer if not paid in full

j/s

We didn't get it for the New Year's cruise either - unless, because it was on the Island, they just lumped that with the World Cruise.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

j/s

👏👏👏👍 (I like this thumbs -up emoticon:  it's left-handed!!)

On 8/26/2020 at 9:40 AM, JimmyVWine said:

Bingo

Gardenbunny - check you final payment date.  Princess has changed final payment from the normal 90 days to 60 days for cruises this coming winter. I think it was up to late April 2021.  For a Dec 29/20 cruise you should not pay until late October not Sept. -agents usually ask for payment a few days early.

Thanks.  We booked it before the virus hit so didn’t think about the new rules.  I will alert my TA.

20 hours ago, Waynetor said:

Gardenbunny - check you final payment date.  Princess has changed final payment from the normal 90 days to 60 days for cruises this coming winter. I think it was up to late April 2021.  For a Dec 29/20 cruise you should not pay until late October not Sept. -agents usually ask for payment a few days early.

On 8/27/2020 at 12:12 PM, Paula_MacFan said:

Not to be Debbie Downer.....but we are also on the Star next summer to Alaska and based on some of the posts about ship and itinerary changes I wouldn't be surprised if this changes too.  

Updating my post from last week -- I just received an email notice from Princess that our Star Alaska June 2021 cruisetour has been switched to the Grand due to the 'redeployment' of the Star.  

On 8/27/2020 at 8:19 AM, JimmyVWine said:

Which brings us back to the question (and answer) that is going to be necessary to get everything back on track:  "Are all your passengers vaccinated?"  This is the question that the port countries are going to need an answer to before they let 17,000 Americans  a day storm their beaches. 

Currently the US is running 87 new cases per 100,000 population per week.  Get that down to 10 cases per week per 100,000 and you might see the possibility of cruises attempting to start.

On 8/25/2020 at 9:48 PM, rabin1 said:

I am booked on the cruise for December 20, 2020 Panama Canal cruise 15 days. It hasn;t been cancelled............................yet!!!

Kathy

I am on that one too. I think it will depend if the ports open up or not. Mexico and LA still closed for passenger ships. BOO!

3 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

I am on that one too. I think it will depend if the ports open up or not. Mexico and LA still closed for passenger ships. BOO!

Ft Lauderdale which is Port Everglades and Miami still closed but the good news is FTL is down to less than 5% and Miami less than 6% and we were one of the worst.

Yea!!!!

Kathy

On 9/2/2020 at 6:55 PM, npcl said:

Currently the US is running 87 new cases per 100,000 population per week.  Get that down to 10 cases per week per 100,000 and you might see the possibility of cruises attempting to start.

I suppose one can make the numerator look less imposing by reducing the denominator.  But 87 new cases per 100,000 population per week is still over 300,000 new cases per week, nationwide.  That doesn't sound as reassuring, now, does it?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I suppose one can make the numerator look less imposing by reducing the denominator.  But 87 new cases per 100,000 population per week is still over 300,000 new cases per week, nationwide.  That doesn't sound as reassuring, now, does it?

Just a way of comparing and adjusting for  population size.  The 87 is where we are now, and would need to get down to 10 per week per 100k to be in the same range as the countries allowing cruising.

To put it another way to be in the same range as the European countries the US with its population would need to be down to about 5000 new cases per day, compare to the 40,000+ range we are in now.

Edited by npcl