This article does not bode well for cruising in 2020.

tinleypark andy

1 hour ago, monykalyn said:

IF big IF- they work. However when you listen to top virologists- who’ve actually worked and developed vaccines, not a talking head who’s survived 6 administrations-many are really hesitant about the rush on the vaccines. Dr Paul Offit has given some really excellent interviews on why he’s cautious.  He developed a vaccine so the Doc has the credentials. Google him for his interviews on covid vaccines, he’s sure one will be developed but lots of magical perfection has to happen for it to be realistically ready this year, or even by next summer. He explains why the timeline  CAN be shortened and where shortcuts shouldn’t be taken- as in the phase 3 trials. 

The reality is there are some 29 vaccines in trials with several being manufactured without knowing if they even work. The FDA has said they will approve vaccines if they are at least 50% effective.

Vaccines can have side effects, even when not rushed

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/concerns-history.html

Troubling is current phase 3 trials seem to be lacking in high risk individuals and minorities.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Didn’t see that coming.

Didn't see what coming?  The "updated" cancellations list posted on 3 Sept?  Just a paperwork update, no new news.  (Unless I overlooked something.)

I had hoped Carnival would extend the cancellations through early/mid-Dec prior to the Labor Day weekend (or make some other more positive announcement), but I did not actually expect it.

I do expect them to make some sort of announcement this week, based on past behavior.  Either today or Friday.  But they might wait until the CDC says something about the No Sail Order, which might not be until the last week of the month (September).

Although there a lot of cruisers holding out hope for a vaccine as a green light to resume cruising, remember, we also have to work out the various travel bans that our country is subject to.  The MSC cruise that is occurring in Italy right now is ONLY stopping at Italian ports.  Our cruise ships can't solely visit US ports.  So, our options are currently limited to...Mexico and Bermuda, and a few other islands.

33 minutes ago, CeleBrat said:

Although there a lot of cruisers holding out hope for a vaccine as a green light to resume cruising, remember, we also have to work out the various travel bans that our country is subject to.  The MSC cruise that is occurring in Italy right now is ONLY stopping at Italian ports.  Our cruise ships can't solely visit US ports.  So, our options are currently limited to...Mexico and Bermuda, and a few other islands.

Bermuda requires a negative PCR test to enter.  I don't see the cruise lines giving the test while on board prior to arrival in Bermuda.

"A visitor must take a certified PCR COVID-19 test, ideally within 72 hours of departure, but no more than seven days, and obtain a negative result."

https://bm.usconsulate.gov/covid-19-information/

So strike Bermuda off that list, for now at least.

Eventually there will be a sea change regarding COVID-19 and travel restrictions.  Until then...

On 9/8/2020 at 11:20 AM, CeleBrat said:

I'll be just fine if all we can do is go to Mexico at first.

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

I'm fine with that! I love Mexico. And lots of things to do. 

I like the Mayan ruins so if we end up with progreso as a replacement port that’s great with me. Tulum is high on my list for Cozumel. I haven’t been to costa maya yet so I’m good with that. An all Mexico cruise would work for me.

I think I read Belize is supposed to open in October. I did Lamanai list time but still want to do Altun Ha and the other one I can’t spell.

If they decide to give us an extra sea day I’ll make good use of the cheers package. I’m down for anything.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I like the Mayan ruins so if we end up with progreso as a replacement port that’s great with me. Tulum is high on my list for Cozumel. I haven’t been to costa maya yet so I’m good with that. An all Mexico cruise would work for me.

I think I read Belize is supposed to open in October. I did Lamanai list time but still want to do Altun Ha and the other one I can’t spell.

If they decide to give us an extra sea day I’ll make good use of the cheers package. I’m down for anything.

A Mayan ruins cruise, sounds great.

Our second ever cruise had stops in Key West, Cozumel, and Belize. We did Tulum and Lamanai.

And as for extra sea days, we had a hurricane and could not get back to Fort Lauderdale for 2 extra days. The extra sea days were an added treat, but the airport on Labor Day after a hurricane with several cruise ships in port was awful. And actually disembarkation on a holiday weekend with too many ships in port for immigration to handle was a living hell. Everyone basically took the first color as they had to get to the airport to rebook flights. It was not until well after the second color was called that immigration finally got to the ship and people could start disembarking, By that time the lounge was so packed that you could hardly breathe. (That was on a Royal Caribbean ship.)