Ship Postcards

PromenadeDeckWriter

6 hours ago, evandbob said:

These days, post cards seem like museum relics.  They can be exhibited next to corded landline phones and washer machines that had wooden wringers.

Young kids now may not believe these artifacts ever existed.

I have about 800.Perhaps I should open a post card museum ?

4 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Or maybe they won’t think of it as “stuff”. Some offspring have a deeper appreciation for the past and their ancestors than others. I have a trunk from early 1800’s which came over on a ship from Norway in my family. Beautiful delicate china from my bachelor great-great uncle.

Sad that we have become such a throw away society. 

I don’t need to instruct my kids what to do or not do with what is left when I pass because they are adult enough to make their own decisions. I just make sure they know the history to accompany the items.

We have an old trunk.I have no idea how far back it is from .I have my baby food dishes and my first blanket as well as a pair of shoes that were supposed to be bronzed but for some reason never were.

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

The real value is in the memories.   As we went through my late mother's things we enjoyed reminiscing about all of the special moments they surfaced.  We kept a lot of things of no value other than good memories.  There is more to life than monetary value.  

Once again we agree 😀

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 6:39 AM, 2wheelin said:

Sad that we have become such a throw away society. 

We're (un?)lucky that for all the time we've been together in several houses we've had loads of storage area(s) so we never HAD to get rid of anything. Our kids homes aren't like that. So our only point is that they shouldn't feel guilty if they get rid of things. And they have their own things to cherish. Hey, I gotta go downstairs and box up some more stuff. Our fave thrift store is reopening soon 🙂

8 minutes ago, clo said:

We're (un?)lucky that for all the time we've been together in several houses we've had loads of storage area(s) so we never HAD to get rid of anything. Our kids homes aren't like that. So our only point is that they shouldn't feel guilty if they get rid of things. And they have their own things to cherish. Hey, I gotta go downstairs and box up some more stuff. Our fave thrift store is reopening soon 🙂

Mrs.66 still has things that belonged to her grandmother .These date back to the mid 19th century.I cannot foresee our children or grandchildren getting rid of them.

34 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Mrs.66 still has things that belonged to her grandmother .These date back to the mid 19th century.I cannot foresee our children or grandchildren getting rid of them.

I hear you. My ONLY point is that we won't be guilting our kids into keeping anything. When their grandmother died they took a couple of things but I did box up a couple of not huge boxes with things of hers that they might someday want.

1 hour ago, clo said:

I hear you. My ONLY point is that we won't be guilting our kids into keeping anything. When their grandmother died they took a couple of things but I did box up a couple of not huge boxes with things of hers that they might someday want.

We are not guilting them.They want to keep these things.

24 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Lenny, I admire your stories on this topic.  It shows close family unity that unfortunately is becoming rare nowadays.  Don't feel like you owe anyone around here an explanation as to why your grandchildren cherish the post cards you send them.  🙂

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Lenny, I admire your stories on this topic.  It shows close family unity that unfortunately is becoming rare nowadays.  Don't feel like you owe anyone around here an explanation as to why your grandchildren cherish the post cards you send them.  🙂

Thank you😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I think it's fantastic that you've told them that they don't have to keep those things and they've said they want to. Good for both sides.

24 minutes ago, clo said:

I think it's fantastic that you've told them that they don't have to keep those things and they've said they want to. Good for both sides.

Everything is up to them. I have pictures of people that I met on every cruise and pictures of co-workers dating back to 1959.I am sure that they will get rid of those.

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Everything is up to them. I have pictures of people that I met on every cruise and pictures of co-workers dating back to 1959.I am sure that they will get rid of those.

We're hoping to downsize into a senior living place in Seattle in the next couple of years. We already know that we'll need a storage unit for some things, especially "art." You'll have to build one 🙂

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

After my parents died (three months apart) I sat down with a family member and we went through the photos. Lots of them were people not in the family and with whom we had no relationship. Right into the trash. As far as postcards we frequently toss them after a year or two. Make room on the fridge for more grand photos 🙂

Just now, clo said:

After my parents died (three months apart) I sat down with a family member and we went through the photos. Lots of them were people not in the family and with whom we had no relationship. Right into the trash. As far as postcards we frequently toss them after a year or two. Make room on the fridge for more grand photos 🙂

We do not have any grandkids photos on the fridge. We have magnets that the grandkids bought from every vacation spot.

As I posted previously my parents had a suitcase with over 300 pictures in there.Most of the pictures are of people I did not know but at some time I asked my parents who these people were and I wrote their names on the back.My parents passed away nearly 40 years ago.Last year I was at a Parkinsons support group and met a man with an unusual last name.I knew it was a name on one of the pictures but I could not recall the first name .Later that day we found the pictures and I brought it with me to the next meeting.

The picture was the mother of the guy I was talking to.It is now his.

• Like 2

Unusual postcard story; we mailed a postcard to ourselves from the Chilean Naval Base Gabriel Gonzalez Videla in Antarctica nine months ago on January 22, 2020. It arrived today. Nine months has to be a record for us. The card  was not postmarked until March 9, 2020 in the South Shetland Islands, would have traveled at least that far by ship. The card I sent to my brother also arrived today.

• Like 1