Ship Postcards

PromenadeDeckWriter

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

While mailing the card home is thought to be unworthy of consideration by some, I understand that folks mail the cards home so they will have the postal marking/stamp of the foreign country.  Kind of cool if you like collecting that sort of thing.  

Mrs.66 and I sent postcards addressed to our parents as well as to ourselves which we still have. I have post cards sent to me by friends and co workers who were on vacation all over the world in a post card album that I frequently look at.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, clo said:

I find the human animal endlessly fascinating. Not one darn thing judgmental. Many years ago I read advice that if you're seeing something truly amazing you should buy a postcard as a professional photo will likely beat anything I can take. But I don't mail them to myself. I don't get the point is all. As far as mailing them to anyone, that would just be my grands and I think they'd be way more interested in something that's not a picture of a ship.

I sent pictures of cruise ships that I have been on to my grand kids .They usually arrive weeks after I came home.

4 hours ago, pris993 said:

No as I say, I love getting cards.  So always sent many cards both of ships and ports.  We always went on primarily new ships over the years, so it was nice to send a picture of the newest ship.   I also bought post cards for myself, always though post cards were better pictures than I could take.  Have am amazing collection of ports we visited. 

I have approximately 800 post cards in albums that I bought or sent to me.I also have post cards from restaurants and stores .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Same.

My son, when younger, was endlessly fascinated by these huge ships -- how were they built, how did they stay afloat, how were they propelled, etc. He would probably also have liked postcards of airplanes if there were such a thing. 

He grew up to be an engineer, lol.

There are post cards of airplanes.I have several .

• Like 1

Our youngest grandson, is now 16.5.  He loved trains, boats and airplane from the time he was very young.  This year when he turned 16 he got solo airplane pilot license.  He has a goal of being a private plane pilot in the future.  He is still young, so things may change.  You never know how post cards might be an inspiration for a young person.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have approximately 800 post cards in albums that I bought or sent to me.I also have post cards from restaurants and stores .

Your kids are gonna kill you when they have to get rid of all that stuff 🙂

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Presumably you are referring to when I am no longer alive ?

My grand kids love seeing pictures,post cards,etc from time periods before they were born and I believe they will keep most things. I have pictures of myself in the mounds of snow from the blizzard of 1947.

i have many things from my parents that I never desired to throw out,pictures,post cards ,books ,passports ,etc.

Edited by lenquixote66

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Presumably you are referring to when I am no longer alive ?

My grand kids love seeing pictures,post cards,etc from time periods before they were born and I believe they will keep most things. I have pictures of myself in the mounds of snow from the blizzard of 1947.

i have many things from my parents that I never desired to throw out,pictures,post cards ,books ,passports ,etc.

Ah Well, at least you won't be around to know 🙂 We've been very clear with our daughters, now in their 40s, to get rid of any and everything with no guilt whatsoever. We had Bob's mother's Waterford crystal from a trip to Ireland. Not our taste nor the girls so we donated it.

46 minutes ago, clo said:

Ah Well, at least you won't be around to know 🙂 We've been very clear with our daughters, now in their 40s, to get rid of any and everything with no guilt whatsoever. We had Bob's mother's Waterford crystal from a trip to Ireland. Not our taste nor the girls so we donated it.

What is the point of stating your daughters are in their 40’s ? Would things be different if they were in another age group ? I am trying to understand the reference .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

What is the point of stating your daughters are in their 40’s ? Would things be different if they were in another age group ? I am trying to understand the reference .

Just making the point that they're truly adults with strong opinions and tastes of their own. 

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My daughters are also in their 40’s and have had strong opinions since their 20’s.

And hopefully they'll feel free to get rid of stuff. That's the point I'm making. And we've been VERY upfront encouraging that. Not going to micro-manage from beyond the grave. 🙂

16 minutes ago, clo said:

... Not going to micro-manage from beyond the grave. 🙂

Oh, but wouldn’t it be interesting to come back - if just to arrange a little payback for people who annoyed you during your lifetime?   Not actually micro-managing - those louts wouldn’t be worth the time (even though you would have eternity to fritter away);  just a really good zing or two:  perhaps letting all the air out of their tires, or tying their shoe laces together when they were napping.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

Oh, but wouldn’t it be interesting to come back - if just to arrange a little payback for people who annoyed you during your lifetime?   Not actually micro-managing - those louts wouldn’t be worth the time (even though you would have eternity to fritter away);  just a really good zing or two:  perhaps letting all the air out of their tires, or tying their shoe laces together when they were napping.

Oh, she-gawd, I love you so much 🙂 I still have aspirations to be "Czarina of the Universe" so that could take care a lot of that.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Nobody knows what happens after we die.I have a doctorate in Theology and would love to discuss this but not on a cruise board.

13 hours ago, clo said:

Or maybe they won’t think of it as “stuff”. Some offspring have a deeper appreciation for the past and their ancestors than others. I have a trunk from early 1800’s which came over on a ship from Norway in my family. Beautiful delicate china from my bachelor great-great uncle.

Sad that we have become such a throw away society. 

I don’t need to instruct my kids what to do or not do with what is left when I pass because they are adult enough to make their own decisions. I just make sure they know the history to accompany the items.

34 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

I just make sure they know the history to accompany the items.

Totally agree. One example of something annoying was when my late MIL would nag about keeping her dining room table. It had no history,wasn't particularly nice, was veneer and had sat by a window getting afternoon sun. It was a mess. Of course, we just said "yes, ma'am."

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Or maybe they won’t think of it as “stuff”. Some offspring have a deeper appreciation for the past and their ancestors than others. I have a trunk from early 1800’s which came over on a ship from Norway in my family. Beautiful delicate china from my bachelor great-great uncle.

I don’t need to instruct my kids what to do or not do with what is left when I pass because they are adult enough to make their own decisions. I just make sure they know the history to accompany the items.

All very true. I really like history and "old stuff".  My mother drives me to distraction at times. She will get rid of things that, to me, have real value -- like letters my grandmother and grandfather wrote each other while "courting" -- and she will keep things like "Collector plates" from the 1970s, which have zero value to me....!

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

35 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

All very true. I really like history and "old stuff".  My mother drives me to distraction at times. She will get rid of things that, to me, have real value -- like letters my grandmother and grandfather wrote each other while "courting" -- and she will keep things like "Collector plates" from the 1970s, which have zero value to me....!

The real value is in the memories.   As we went through my late mother's things we enjoyed reminiscing about all of the special moments they surfaced.  We kept a lot of things of no value other than good memories.  There is more to life than monetary value.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

If it's family 'stuff' I'll usually take a pic and send to the girls to see if they're interested. If it's 'just' our stuff I'll do that if I think it might match their taste. I haven't been taken up on an offer yet 🙂

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

There is more to life than monetary value.  

Totally. I have things of Mother's that I'll always keep though rarely use. But I'm considering donating a few things that I never use and don't even 'display.' If it's sitting in a drawer or cabinet and we never use it or even look at it then we're getting better at getting rid of it.