RC Health Plan - Health and Safety Panel Report are now released

A&L_Ont

27 minutes ago, D C said:

Our Cozumel is breakfast on the ship, a walk to shore along the main drag, a stop at Ernestos for lunch and a big margarita, and then back to the ship. 

These poor port businesses.  They have been far too long without revenue, and these safety plans don't do them much good, either.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

These poor port businesses.  They have been far too long without revenue, and these safety plans don't do them much good, either.

Agreed.

I wonder... what will the cruise lines do about "Diamonds International" and all of the other shopping destinations that are strongly support?

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 8:34 AM, LuCruise said:

I agree with the comments. They should test at the port. If you test 5 days ahead, can't this be invalid by the time you get there?  Plus, it would be stressful getting testing in time to make sure the results are returned prior to when you leave (esp if your flight is a day or two before).  Some may choose to test themselves too prior to their trip as it would be a shame to fly all the way there and find out you are positive, but they should just require the test at the port.

Also, I wonder how they will sail with reduced capacity?  Will Royal just stop selling staterooms once they are say 60% sold?  What if they are already past that capacity?  Will they kick people out?  Or offer good incentives to for FCC or refund more than 100%?

SIAP as I have not read all of the responses, but the purpose for teating 5 days prior to the cruise is to stop and prevent people from flying to a port if they test positive. 

Recommendation 4: All guests joining a ship, regardless of method of travel to the ship, should be tested for SARS-CoV-2 between 5 days and 24 hours before boarding and receive a negative result that is shared with the cruise operator, before coming on board.

As discussed throughout this document, testing for all individuals boarding cruise ships is a critically important step in reducing the likelihood of virus introduction on board the ship. All guests and short- term vendors, contractors, startup employees, and shoreside employees boarding a cruise ship should be tested 24 hours to 5 days before the cruise, so that they are able to receive a negative result prior to beginning their travel via land or air transportation to the port for embarkation. If a guest receives a positive result, they and their close contacts should not travel to the embarkation point.13

As discussed in the crew testing recommendation, if rapid, reliable, and clinically valid testing options become widely available, the addition of a second test at the pier or immediately before boarding would improve confidence in the testing regimen’s ability to prevent SARS-CoV-2 from entering the ship. Using adequately sensitive testing methods, the likelihood of missing a SARS-CoV-2 infection in an individual because of false negatives is extremely low under this double testing scenario. Therefore, if logistically

13 Individuals who are unable to submit to testing due to a disability, or for whom testing is medically contraindicated, should be referred to a secondary medical screening where a case-by-case assessment of the individual’s fitness for travel will be made, and a recommendation to allow or deny boarding will be based on the fitness-for-travel determination.

19 | P a g e

and financially feasible, the Panel recommends this as the standard protocol. However, the Panel emphasizes that a single test at the point of embarkation is not a substitute for an initial test performed before a guest departs their home location; rather, the second test supplements and provides additional confidence in the ability of cruise operators to identify infected guests prior to boarding.

My two cents...

These recommendations, or a plan for a plan, highlight again the complexity of the obstacles that face cruising. I've long felt the cruise lines do a pretty good job when things are going smoothly, but they're terrible at hitting the curve ball. I don't forseee them clearing the many hurdles for quite some time, if ever, and then a lot of chaos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, firefly333 said:

By immune I mean they caught it and recovered. Not just people in vaccine trials and a few getting vaccine.

How many americans have caught covid and recovered? Not enough sure, but the number is growing. We get over 200 positives a day just here in dallas. I keep hoping to see lower positives here. 

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I never said you were immune after getting it. But hasn't there only been one documented case here in america of getting a 2nd strain. Chances are more against it.

I just heard someone say between anti vaccine folks etc this might take 4 or 5 years to totally be under control. I'm not waiting that long I hope, to cruise.

You DID imply immunity after getting it and recovering. You imply being around those that have already contracted the virus an survived is safer than those that have not; this is simply not true and a dangerous way of thinking.

Floating cities w/ people from all over the world facing a new infectious disease and now a pandemic. I clearly understand how easy it was for Covid to spread on cruise ships and for the cruiselines everywhere not to be able to stop it. The fact is, no one has stopped it.  Not one form of Government worldwide. Nobody. But... we have learned somethings to slow it down. All a cruise line can do is implement what known programs work and are effective. They can't and won't stop it or prevent it. We all want so badly for RCL or any cruiseline to be able to offer us cruises. Some are willing to allow themselves to become selfish in an effort to fulfil their wishes to cruise again. This includes me. Like many on cruise critic, I too have a cruise scheduled. I have steadily arranged for excursions at most of the ports that we'll visit. Whether or not we'll get on a ship is a different story. It may be canceled. We may cancel the cruise. 

All we can do is hope for the best and wish each other well. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I live in the DFW metroplex same as you, tasting is widespread, easy to access, and requires no Dr order or symptoms to receive.

My mom lives in a very small town.  There is no widespread testing.  There is no rapid tests.  The 5 days prior is going to be an issue for our January cruise if it sails.  Have no idea how to get her tested in that time period and have the results back in time.

Also to make matters worse we are flying in on new years day.  So if we wait til we get to miami to even try to find a rapid test.  Would they even be open then?

Edited by mariemorgan

31 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I'm not sure this will work any longer. It's covered in the report. It states that isolation rooms near the medical area will be in place. 😟

Crew cabins on Deck 2. With bunk beds. That would be awful, no offense to any crew here.

29 minutes ago, latserrof said:

My two cents...

These recommendations, or a plan for a plan, highlight again the complexity of the obstacles that face cruising. I've long felt the cruise lines do a pretty good job when things are going smoothly, but they're terrible at hitting the curve ball. I don't forseee them clearing the many hurdles for quite some time, if ever, and then a lot of chaos.

I think you are right. Maybe they will wow us this time. Desperate times...

11 minutes ago, mariemorgan said:

My mom lives in a very small town.  There is no widespread testing.  There is no rapid tests.  The 5 days prior is going to be an issue for our January cruise if it sails.  Have no idea how to get her tested in that time period and have the results back in time.

Also to make matters worse we are flying in on new years day.  So if we wait til we get to miami to even try to find a rapid test.  Would they even be open then?

Yeah, that could be a problem, no way would i wait until getting to my embarkation point to find a test (that will become the new do I fly in the same day" post)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Yeah, that could be a problem, no way would i wait until getting to my embarkation point to find a test (that will become the new do I fly in the same day" post)

Right so what do we do?  I have no idea!!!  They don't have rapid tests.  The nearest big city (detroit) is 5 hours away (where she is flying out of but is driving down On New Years Eve) who's going to be open then?  No clue what to do.

Edited by mariemorgan

5 minutes ago, mariemorgan said:

Right so what do we do?  I have no idea!!!  They don't have rapid tests.  The nearest big city (detroit) is 5 hours away (where she is flying out of but is driving down On New Years Eve) who's going to be open then?  No clue what to do.

Beats me.  Take a road trip to Detroit?

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Beats me.  Take a road trip to Detroit?

That's where she's flying out of.  She's driving down New Years eve.  Just worried nothing will be open then to go get tested at since it's New years eve.  I'll have ot see if I can find a rapid place somewhere in Detroit and call and see if they are open New Years Eve.

26 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I live in the DFW metroplex same as you, tasting is widespread, easy to access, and requires no Dr order or symptoms to receive.

I know that, but the free tests dont have turn around results fast enough. So you know I can get about 3 day turn around? Where for free. I like to drive down and stay in Galveston before my cruise, so I dont have 5 days to wait for results. 

I did sign up for that rapid test site someone posted on here, says they will send me locations in a few weeks.

What about the 2nd leg? Even my ta says it's not addressed so hes not sure if I can skip the 5 day requirement and do 2nd leg. 

10 minutes ago, mariemorgan said:

I signed up for that rapid test. Maybe Detroit will have locations. Says results I think within 15 to 45 minutes.

Someone earlier in this thread posted a link to the rapid test by Abbott. That's what I'm p,anning on using, not depending on turn around from a test quest labs has to process. 

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I signed up for that rapid test. Maybe Detroit will have locations. Says results I think within 15 to 45 minutes.

Someone earlier in this thread posted a link to the rapid test by Abbott. That's what I'm p,anning on using, not depending on turn around from a test quest labs has to process. 

Ok I'll go look for it.  

20 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I know that, but the free tests dont have turn around results fast enough. So you know I can get about 3 day turn around? Where for free. I like to drive down and stay in Galveston before my cruise, so I dont have 5 days to wait for results. 

I did sign up for that rapid test site someone posted on here, says they will send me locations in a few weeks.

What about the 2nd leg? Even my ta says it's not addressed so hes not sure if I can skip the 5 day requirement and do 2nd leg. 

The B2B is a puzzler for sure (the first question is "will B2B be allowed?")

I never said anything about free tests, why should it be free? You are getting a test for a recreational activity, paying for it is just to be expected in my opinion.

DW had surgery last week, she had to be tested within 72 hours of the procedure, we PAID for that test, it was not free.

2 minutes ago, PolytheneGirl said:

Are these recommendations/restrictions likely to be just for US sailings?

Although this particular response from RCG is to the CDC and therefore US embarkation specific, I can not imagine that rules on embarkation ports world wide would be very much (if at all) different.

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Although this particular response from RCG is to the CDC and therefore US embarkation specific, I can not imagine that rules on embarkation ports world wide would be very much (if at all) different.

Thanks. Its mainly the testing aspect for me. I'm UK based and the only testing I'm aware of thats available is through the government and thats restricted to certain eligibility so I wouldn't even know how to go abut getting one!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

They said costs $5. Though I dont see a price. 

20200922_121755272.jpeg

$5 is the wholesale cost that Abbot charges to the first stop in the supply chain. The cost to whomever is being tested will in all likelihood be keystoned several times. A local testing company is advertising the Abbot test at $59.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The B2B is a puzzler for sure (the first question is "will B2B be allowed?")

I never said anything about free tests, why should it be free? You are getting a test for a recreational activity, paying for it is just to be expected in my opinion.

DW had surgery last week, she had to be tested within 72 hours of the procedure, we PAID for that test, it was not free.

Oh I was assuming you meant the free drive thru tests. Should have blocked out my name on that email where I signed up for the rapid tests. Ooops, too late now as someone quoted me. 

I've decided to just wait it out, and if need be TA can deal with it if I cant do b2b. Shame since was a lot of moving around to book. He deserves the commission and I'm sure I owe him a bucket of drinks. 

11 minutes ago, orville99 said:

$5 is the wholesale cost that Abbot charges to the first stop in the supply chain. The cost to whomever is being tested will in all likelihood be keystoned several times. A local testing company is advertising the Abbot test at $59.

I can live with $59. That's fine. That's still inexpensive. I just dont want hundreds of dollars and a long turn around time.