RC Health Plan - Health and Safety Panel Report are now released

A&L_Ont

Both the wife and I maintain our weight during the cruise.  First rule is two meals a day.  We tend to sleep in late and usually miss breakfast unless a port is involved.  Second rule is 30 fast walk minutes on the treadmill everyday.

Last rule watch the snacks at most 1 to 2 drinks a day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I need a cruise right now to lose the Covid lbs from these last few months. 🙂

I typically gain 5-10 pounds a week on a cruise, drop it off in 2 weeks at home.

Oddly enough I only gained 3 pounds over 12 days of STAR Class. That should tell you something 😉

Actually lost weight over the Covid

Around 15 pounds, that's a stone to the Brits

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zalusky said:

Both the wife and I maintain our weight during the cruise.  First rule is two meals a day.  We tend to sleep in late and usually miss breakfast unless a port is involved.  Second rule is 30 fast walk minutes on the treadmill everyday.

Last rule watch the snacks at most 1 to 2 drinks a day.

We have a "no elevator" rule.   Some days, my fitbit will log around 100 flights of stairs.

Still manage to find the weight though.  I'll blame the beverage package.

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I typically gain 5-10 pounds a week on a cruise, drop it off in 2 weeks at home.

Oddly enough I only gained 3 pounds over 12 days of STAR Class. That should tell you something 😉

Actually lost weight over the Covid

Around 15 pounds, that's a stone to the Brits

I lose it in about 14 days or so.  The only problem is those days are spread out over the next few months after getting home. 

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2020 at 12:40 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Short sailings mean less than 10 days...not the 3/4 day that many were speculating about. 

Recommendation 58: Cruise operators should initially return to service with shorter length trips.

As mentioned above, during the initial return to service phase, simplicity and reduction of risk factors is advisable. Therefore, the Panel recommends trip lengths of no more than ten days at first. Cruises longer than that usually entail stops at several ports, and introducing this level of risk early in the return to service phase would be inadvisable.

Hello,

I'm doing quite a few trips of less than 10 days but, in the case of May 2021, three of them consecutively. I read the recommendation (58) says 'Cruise Operators' and not cruise passengers should do shorter length trips - does this mean the B2B should be safe? Hauling myself and my luggage to the cruise port for fewer than 10 nights sucks.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I'm doing quite a few trips of less than 10 days but, in the case of May 2021, three of them consecutively. I read the recommendation (58) says 'Cruise Operators' and not cruise passengers should do shorter length trips - does this mean the B2B should be safe? Hauling myself and my luggage to the cruise port for fewer than 10 nights sucks.

Regards,

Cublet

I read it as 10 days or less for the cruise lines to limit ports and keep them close to home.  Thete has been no mention of restricting passengers for B2B 

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I read it as 10 days or less for the cruise lines to limit ports and keep them close to home.  Thete has been no mention of restricting passengers for B2B 

Crystal says testing prior to boarding and at boarding. How would you do that on a b2b.

Rcl and ncl suggestions say testing within 5 days of boarding. 

I wish rcl would provide some clarity but sounds like it could be a problem. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Crystal says testing prior to boarding and at boarding. How would you do that on a b2b.

Rcl and ncl suggestions say testing within 5 days of boarding. 

I wish rcl would provide some clarity but sounds like it could be a problem. 

You are already on the ship. You do not go through regular check in procedures. 

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You are already on the ship. You do not go through regular check in procedures. 

Not entirely correct.  Our experience on b2b's is a lot of the time, you are walked off and back on so they could easily require b2bers to be retested in the terminal before reboarding.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BND said:

Not entirely correct.  Our experience on b2b's is a lot of the time, you are walked off and back on so they could easily require b2bers to be retested in the terminal before reboarding.

Midpoint was that you eoukd need to go through main screening and check in so you woukd not been to have a valid test with the previous 5 days.  Like you sail, very easy for the cruise line to test B2B PAX 

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Midpoint was that you eoukd need to go through main screening and check in so you woukd not been to have a valid test with the previous 5 days.  Like you sail, very easy for the cruise line to test B2B PAX 

It would certainly suck for a b2b passenger to test positive and suddenly have to pack everything up and go home. False positive tests have me very concerned.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It would certainly suck for a b2b passenger to test positive and suddenly have to pack everything up and go home. False positive tests have me very concerned.

I'm not up to speed with all the testing but does getting a false positive mean that if you tested again 5 minutes later you will get another false positive.  Is is the test itself that can fail or is it your particular body fluid that's being tested that causes the failure  With the swab tests there is the delay but with the saliva tests they could easily retest you

6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I'm not up to speed with all the testing but does getting a false positive mean that if you tested again 5 minutes later you will get another false positive.  Is is the test itself that can fail or is it your particular body fluid that's being tested that causes the failure  With the swab tests there is the delay but with the saliva tests they could easily retest you

It's the test itself, not you.  A false positive just means that you happened to fall on the wrong side of the statistics, most likely because of mishandling or contamination of the sample.  

1 minute ago, D C said:

It's the test itself, not you.  A false positive just means that you happened to fall on the wrong side of the statistics, most likely because of mishandling or contamination of the sample.  

Which means that if they are using the 15 minute tests at the pier they can check anyone who tests positive the first time again and eliminate the false positives. 

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Were the greatest nation on the face of the earth and we can't get a test to be accurate?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Were the greatest nation on the face of the earth and we can't get a test to be accurate?

There will always be a certain small percentage of false positives and negatives with any test. The PCR tests are insanely accurate, but there is still a small chance of errors along the way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

It's not about being the greatest nation, it's about anyone being able to come up with a quick enough test that proves to be accurate.  It's not a simple thing.   No test is 100% accurate.  Pregnancy tests for example can show false when they're really not.  They can show positive even if not due to other medical conditions and medications.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

Hello,

Sorry about this but I failed at four attempts of a 'multi-quote'.

The B2B arrangement in the UK is this: All B2Bers assemble in, say, MDR. You are given your new stateroom card and led in single file to the open deck where the machines reading the cards are situated. You clock-out with your old card, turn 180 degrees and clock-in with your new card and go back to whatever it was you were doing earlier. Along with your new SeaPass card was a 'Transit Passenger' card - this can be used should you wish to go ashore and, on return, by-pass some of the security procedures for new passengers.

Having said all that, that was in October 2019 - what the 'new normal' makes of this no-one knows.

Regards,

Cublet

19 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I don't know that I can explain well what causes a certain test to have a certain specificity... its ability to identify a specific substance and not react with other substances. The higher the specificity the less the chance of a false positive test. Sensitivity refers to the ability to identify a specific substance if it is present. The higher the sensitivity the less likely you will get a false negative. I have not even looked at the saliva test yet as it is not available to me for use yet and I have enough issues keeping up with all the changes that I presently have to deal with.

If someone were to test positive at the terminal I don't know if they would retest or go through a secondary screening. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Coralc said:

There will always be a certain small percentage of false positives and negatives with any test. The PCR tests are insanely accurate, but there is still a small chance of errors along the way. 

I don't know that it is insanely accurate. It is very sensitive. However, does that also mean that it has a higher number of false positives because of that? Is it picking up RNA strands and cross reacting with other Corona viruses that are not Covid-19? Are all these asymptomatic positive testing people truly infected? Are these people contagious or is the test picking up fragments of dead virus particles? We seem to have a load of University students testing positive without the slightest hint of being ill. I could go on but I think my point is made.

I hardly have the answers to any of that but I seem to have more and more questions as we, supposedly, learn more and more about this illness.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't know that it is insanely accurate. It is very sensitive. However, does that also mean that it has a higher number of false positives because of that? Is it picking up RNA strands and cross reacting with other Corona viruses that are not Covid-19? Are all these asymptomatic positive testing people truly infected? Are these people contagious or is the test picking up fragments of dead virus particles? We seem to have a load of University students testing positive without the slightest hint of being ill. I could go on but I think my point is made.

I hardly have the answers to any of that but I seem to have more and more questions as we, supposedly, learn more and more about this illness.

That's going to be a pt of interest going forward I'm sure.

False positives denied boarding.