What's your ideal price per day? (all in, "Princess Plus" taxes, fees, etc)

CineGraphic

I try to price all my vacations from about $200-$300 per day for two people, total all in.  This includes airfare, hotel, meals and alcohol per day.  I've travelled all over Europe, Mexico, USA, Hawaii, and particularly Las Vegas on this budget plan, although it is getting harder to do it.   On the surface these locations would seem wildy different in cost, but I've found a week in Vegas is the same as a week in Europe in the end.  While it's cheaper to fly and stay in Vegas, gambling and food costs add up.  Europe is expensive for flight and hotel, but then when you are there you can do a lot of sightseeing free and my food expenses are lower.  Just me though.

Some will say, a land vacation doesn't compare to a cruise, but, I rarely take this is into account as I feel the pros and cons of land vs. cruise balance each other out in the end fairly equally to me.  For example, for me, a tiny, cramped inside cabin on a cruise is always worse than the most cramped hotel room in Rome, Italy - in my opinion. Pros and Cons.

On land vacations, I find hotels that give a free breakfast, I eat quick lunches and eat simple, but good quality dinners in small restaurants.  I buy snacks and booze from the grocery store for the room.  I walk most everywhere and take in all the free museums, and sites to see.  I also travel during down times, low occupancy, etc.  I've got some fantastic bargains over the years doing this.

I feel a cruise is a good value and I like everything and there are deals to be had.  I actually find sea days boring for the most part now, it's ok for a few days to relax and recharge.  I've done everything a cruise offers on a sea day at least once and I find it kind of repetitive after a while.  Traveling to a new European city for a week is hardly repetitive or boring, my last trip, I logged my miles and I walked almost 40 miles in the week!  For me, walking in a city, sure beats walking around a little loop on the top deck of a cruise ship - sure at first it's ok, fresh sea air, but it gets old after a while.  Pros and Cons.

So, the pros and cons go back and forth for me.  I like them both, but I have to insist a cruise really stays in the $100-$150 per person, per day range, including airfare and pre hotel, if needed.  Otherwise, it just isn't worth it, and there would have to be some super special port or excursion I want to do.  There are lots of travel opportunities out there and I am a super bargain/value shopper.  

I wanted to add to my post with a little bit of evidence of a value land vacation.  I've been looking at Barcelona for next year (mostly for fun, because I don't think we will be able to travel yet).  I've priced out a 4 star hotel for 10 nights, roundtrip airfare on United for a total of $1782 for two people all taxes.  I am a bargain shopper!!  It is an awesome deal.  That leaves $1218 for all meals, booze, snacks, museum entries, a couple of Uber's, etc.  And these prices are typical pre-covid too, because I had priced them.  Travelling mid-week on cheaper days, travelling in the shoulder seasons (march and november), staying in a hotel a little further out but on a bus line.

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 9.18.13 AM.png

Edited by cruiseypop

It is not one or the other for us.  Often it is a combination.  Cruises and land trips are very different.  Last fall we flew from Canada to Athens with a return from London.  Fare was $750 CAD, similar to previous year.  

We have enjoyed multiple Med and Adriatic cruises.  This time we did not catch a last minute cruise on our trip.  We did spend a week each in Northern Greece, Corfu, Kefelonia, and Zakynthos.  Mostly 5 day or more stays in accommodation by the sea.  Some condos.  Plus car rentals.  We did not score a last minute cruise so we continued on  and did  the same for 2 weeks in Cyprus.  We enjoyed it every bit as much as a cruise.  The per diem was considerably less.   That was not the driver.  We simply wanted to travel in Greece to places where the cruise lines do not go or if the do only go for hours not days.  

We do not compare the per diems between land and cruise vacations as much as we do our perceived value because they are such different animals.  One thing we do get tired of on cruises is the food and the cabin (balcony).  After a while the food all tastes the same.  And we get board if we are in the same Marriott like antiseptic cabin for too many days.

Edited by iancal

cruisepop & icncal -- I read you comments with interest because I can relate to your experiences.

Always Cruzin – I really enjoy your commentary.  Very good detail.  Cost per day certainly matters. Living in St. Lucie, Florida helps keep the cost of a cruise down.  I agree that port taxes and government fees appear to be pretty much a constant if sailing out of Florida.  The longer the cruise there’s more ports (7 day versus 10) and/or (7 day versus 14) which will most likely change the cost.  They do remain the same for some cruises but not all.  In fact, over the last 10 years (for me) taxes/fees have averaged approx. 7 1/2% of my total costs.   Actual Port taxes range from -- $175 to $356 with Gov’ fees ranging from -- $165 to $367.43 which was dependent on the itinerary (Eastern Carib versus Panama Canal).  My tax/fee analysis includes Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, Alaska, England/Canada, Panama Canal, Europe, etc. so cost will very.  This cost covers both DW and myself.  Port taxes and Government fees are not a determining factor for me.  Especially when I compare the 7 1/2% against the combined cruise & air (64.5% + 12.9% = 67.4%).  Also, I’ve never heard of a cruiser getting a break on Port taxes or Govt fees. The cost is what it is!  So, in someway they are constant.  Again, the itinerary is my first consideration.

It’s interesting to see what priorities many cruisers include in their analysis.  If I can keep my total cruise cost down (as low as possible) this will drive my “per day” cost down.  After a FCD, I’m always looking for new deals and/or promotions, lower air fare, etc.  I’ve re-booked or re-fair many times over the years which helps lower my total costs.  Before final payment -- I’m always checking for an advantage.

The following are important factors (for me) when looking at costs:

Itinerary

Cruise Tour cost (which will be different from a cruise only)

Cruise only cost

Balcony (DW - must have)

Air from DTW

Insurance (pre existing condition – wife)

Other supplemental costs

Promotions

Gratuities

OBC - military, stockholder, loyal, etc.

No cruising during college spring break

No drink package (Elite status plus wife cannot drink alcohol)

I understand the criteria I use my not be appropriate or relevant for everyone.

Bottom line:  When I cruise there’s a book I always consult – it’s my checkbook.

John

• Like 2

We pay attention to currency.  Delaying a three week South Africa trip by a year saved us 10-15 percent on currency alone.  We did two cruises from Sydney within weeks of each other.   The RCI cruise used USD, the Princess used AUD.  THat alone made our on board spending much more expensive on RCI.  Princess was booked in the US, RCI booked by calling the RCI call center in Sydney.  

We price all travel products internationally.  In South America we booked domestic air by calling the Aerolineas domestic call center in BA rather than booking on North American web sites.  A fast 25-30 percent saving.   We have done the same in Turkey.  Last winter we found significant pricing variations on our domestic Interjet flights in Mexico.  Exact same with our Olympic and Aegean flights within Greece and to Cyprus last fall.  Hard to believe but in both Mexico and Greece we found that the Expedia air price, same flight, etc., was considerably less expensive on several occasions than the airline direct price. Not certain why this was but we happily booked the lower of the two.

We are willing to pay, we simply want to get a competitive price for any commodity like travel product we buy.   On two occasions in Mexico last winter we bought 5 day AI from TUI in the UK.   Did the same in Cyprus.  We view buying an AI stay at a specific resort or a balcony cabin on a ship to be a commodity buy. No matter where we source it the product is identical.  Like buying gasoline.

Prior to covid we were travelling about 4 months a year, sometimes a little more.   Shaving 15 points off travel is a large saving for us.  We turn that money around into more travel.  Does not matter if it is no star or six star as long as we are happy with it.  That includes cruises.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My old price point was $100 per person per day for the cruise fare (including taxes and fees). Sometimes this got us a balcony cabin, and sometimes it was an inside. It depended on the itinerary. I don't know exactly what my new price point is. I was fortunate to find some great deals last year on single cabins when DH had to work. My back-to-back Alaskan cruises still came in at around $100 per me sailing solo per day. Those came with some nice OBC that paid for the gratuities. My 10-day Panama Canal partial cruise in December was slightly more per day sailing solo, but Princess was offering free airfare.

My bar bill on a cruise is not that much. I'm afraid I would drink too much if I ever had the beverage package. We already get our free internet minutes. They were enough for my Alaskan cruises. I upgraded to the unlimited for our transatlantic last fall (that DH was able to go on with me) and my Panama Canal cruise. If I ever received the beverage package as a perk, it would be great. But I don't think I would pay $40 a day to get it with the unlimited internet and gratuities.

On 9/28/2020 at 9:44 AM, CineGraphic said:

But taxers and fees vary greatly based on itinerary. Panama Canal fees are crazy compared to a typical Caribbean sailing.

When I factor in my per day cost, I include taxes and fees. To do so otherwise would not be an accurate accounting of cost.

I already said that and more.

On 9/28/2020 at 11:37 AM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I said that. The taxes and fees do NOT change for the same cruise on the same ship on different dates where the cruise cost might me higher or lower.

actually, they sometimes do ... if only by a few $ , but it happens - look at some of the typical 7 day Caribbean cruises on the CB where there are multiple sailing dates

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

And you already replied two days ago.

On 9/28/2020 at 11:37 AM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I said that. The taxes and fees do NOT change for the same cruise on the same ship on different dates where the cruise cost might me higher or lower. I said. depending on how far the ship must cruise and how manty ports and different ports govern the Tax and Port charges. However, they remain the same for the same cruise but different dates. The only price change will be the cruise itself and the perks. Not the tax and port charges for the same cruise.

So it is NOT inaccurate at all. If I desided to go on a Panama canal cruise on the same ship that will visit the same ports and leave and return to the same port. The only price difference will be for different times of the year and that will ONLY be the cruise cost itself. The tax and port charges will NOT change, it remains constant, only the cruise cost itself. So picking a cruise going by the cruise cost itself is the best way to govern your cruise cost. No matter what the tax and port charges are. Everyone will pay the same for that cruise and they do not change during the year. Only the cruise cost itself.

13 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

port fees and taxes are frequently adjusted on a per cruise basis based on final occupancy

we've had many adjustments where we have a small amount credited to our on board account - always decreases for us, never had an increase, but hey ...🤑

stay safe 😷

stay hydrated 🍻 ( I know, I know )

1 minute ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Well if I did. Sorry to upset you and I will not reply to your posts again.

Who's upset? Not I......

I simply pointed out that you posted the same reply twice. If that makes you want to stop posting, who am I to stop you?

We have found  if you wish to have a suite..... all up cost is around $400 per person per day that is here in Australia.....   But I have a feeling after Covid-19   it will be dearer

ALso we have found changing the date a month either way   can save 10-15%  ( same cruise )

Cheers Don

• Like 1

• 9 months later...