Mandatory COVID Testing

On 10/8/2020 at 4:37 AM, Smiles1984 said:

I respectfully disagree, no responsible person would develop mild symptoms and not report them. 

Symptoms of COVID are wide ranging. It would be easy for a responsible person to dismiss many of them, especially in light of having just tested negative. 

Headache? Beverage package will do that 

Bathroom issues? Buffet must be to blame

Fatigue? It was a late night. I'm probably just tired or too much sun and fresh air. 

Congestion/runny nose? Must be the different pollen down here 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ljason913 said:

i dont mind testing i am just worried that i will get a false positive.no symptoms and wont be able to board the ship.having to fly into these ports i would be very upset.

Agreed.  And it goes well beyond just not being able to board the ship.  Getting home becomes a nightmare as well. 

1 hour ago, D C said:

Agreed.  And it goes well beyond just not being able to board the ship.  Getting home becomes a nightmare as well. 

Yes and for foreign nationals visiting the USA it could be particularly bad because a refusal of boarding - lets for say of the Anthem of Seas eastbound TA to Southampton for UK national for example - MIGHT put that UK national in violation of the terms of their visa waiver admission to the USA. The admission which requires you to have an return flight or cruise a return cruise out of the USA . You no longer have that as you are refused boarding and ergo your reservation is cancelled? Which might lead to your removal from the United States maybe even with a ban from returning for a period of time which might lead to major problems cruising in the future.

2 hours ago, D C said:

Symptoms of COVID are wide ranging. It would be easy for a responsible person to dismiss many of them, especially in light of having just tested negative. 

Headache? Beverage package will do that 

Bathroom issues? Buffet must be to blame

Fatigue? It was a late night. I'm probably just tired or too much sun and fresh air. 

Congestion/runny nose? Must be the different pollen down here 

And for approx 85% (WHO data) of those who test positive there are ZERO symptoms

23 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

And just wait until your employer finds out you tested “positive”

If you ask me, I dont believe in this testing like at all. I would rather believe that we come up with some sort of a vaccine rather than believe some sticks that tell me that I am Covid negative or positive. There were so many cases already when people were tested negative while they were positive.. so screw that. I wont risk it anyway 

I just hope this is a temporary thing. I wish i lived in Florida. If I tested positive and could just drive home that would be great. i think most people want to get back to cruising and see what its like and if its enjoyable. We shall see..i hope the future is bright trying to stay positive here. When the scientist and doctors say its safe to get the covid vaccine I will get it,it, but I will not listen to politicians . I will listen to scientists and doctors ONLY! to much propaganda and agenda with these politicians I don't trust them!

Edited by ljason913

As I read about testing it occurs to me that what happens if 1 of a family group tests positive?  Is the whole family banned from boarding?  If banned from the cruise as a group with mixed positive/negative results, do all receive refunds for prepaid $?  My concern is specifically that if one of our family of 3 tests positive (hopefully false positive), all 3 of us will not be cruising.  We would have driven to the port and would need to stay together wherever we are.  I would expect that the family group would all be banned from the cruise , but have not seen any reference to how that is dealt with. I may have just missed somewhere where this has been addressed.

It would make little sense to let anyone of a family group on a ship if any of them are testing positive. To do so would be reckless if the intent is to keep the virus off the ship. You would have to assume that the others are exposed but have not yet turned positive. 

Of course, that may not be how they handle it. Common sense does not always translate into practice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PigsCanFly said:

As I read about testing it occurs to me that what happens if 1 of a family group tests positive?  Is the whole family banned from boarding?  If banned from the cruise as a group with mixed positive/negative results, do all receive refunds for prepaid $?  My concern is specifically that if one of our family of 3 tests positive (hopefully false positive), all 3 of us will not be cruising.  We would have driven to the port and would need to stay together wherever we are.  I would expect that the family group would all be banned from the cruise , but have not seen any reference to how that is dealt with. I may have just missed somewhere where this has been addressed.

The Singapore Royal Caribbean site specifically says 100% FCC if you or anyone in your party tests positive within 3 weeks of sailing.  Most of the information specifically says for Singapore sailings but it is likely to be for other sailings, especially since some of the graphics show an Oasis class ship.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/sgp/en/royal-promise

Flexibility and protection for your peace of mind

Covid-19 protections

What you need to know

• 100% Future Cruise Credit if you or someone in your travel party tests positive within 3 weeks prior to the cruise

• 100% Future Cruise Credit if you or someone in your travel party tests positive at the boarding terminal

• 100% refund for you and your travel party if any of you tests positive during your cruise

• Royal Caribbean will cover COVID-19-related costs up to $25,000 SGD ($20,000 USD) per person in your travel party, for onboard medical costs, cost of any required quarantine, and travel home

Edited by reallyitsmema

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

The Singapore Royal Caribbean site specifically says 100% FCC if you or anyone in your party tests positive within 3 weeks of sailing.  Most of the information specifically says for Singapore sailings but it is likely to be for other sailings, especially since some of the graphics show an Oasis class ship.

I am actually pretty impressed. Hopefully, it will apply to U.S. sailings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

I am actually pretty impressed. Hopefully, it will apply to U.S. sailings.

I was too.  At least they have thought about getting people off the ship.  A lot of the information in that link is not specific to Quantum, as it mentions zip lines and slides, so it looks like that information will end up on other countries websites too. 

I just showed the air filtration information on that link to the engineers in my household, who work in clean rooms, and they said the air is exchanged six times an hour in their clean rooms.  They thought the system that is in place looked great.  I thought the changes to the medical center looked good too, with a negative pressure air containment area with a separate entrance.

I also like that they are not going to allow gaiters or bandanas as face coverings or face shields alone.  They have very specific requirements that I hope they enforce.

Nice to have a little hope to be able to cruise in the future with the measures they seem to be taking to keep everyone as safe as possible.

26 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I also like that they are not going to allow gaiters or bandanas as face coverings or face shields alone.  They have very specific requirements that I hope they enforce.

Nice to have a little hope to be able to cruise in the future with the measures they seem to be taking to keep everyone as safe as possible.

It seems though that masks are going to be required anywhere out of your cabin except when eating or when they would get wet. So I guess even when out on the open decks? That is a lot of hours of mask wearing.

I really need to think hard about making final payment on my January cruise. Though a cruise on Oasis booked at 50% capacity is a chance I'll probably never get again. That is if the cruise even happens. Decisions, decisions....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It seems though that masks are going to be required anywhere out of your cabin except when eating or when they would get wet. So I guess even when out on the open decks? That is a lot of hours of mask wearing.

I really need to think hard about making final payment on my January cruise. Though a cruise on Oasis booked at 50% capacity is a chance I'll probably never get again. That is if the cruise even happens. Decisions, decisions....

We have nothing scheduled until May so we have a little longer to decide and hopefully, things are doing better by then.  Oasis at 50% would be great.  We are on Quantum and have booked a suite so we can eat in Coastal Kitchen for the week.  Figured that will be less crowded than the MDR or WJ.  We also figured we can just hide in our cabin or on our balcony and watch the Alaskan scenery go by.  Masks all the time won't be fun but at least if we are on our balcony, we wouldn't have to have one on.

4 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have nothing scheduled until May so we have a little longer to decide and hopefully, things are doing better by then.  Oasis at 50% would be great.  We are on Quantum and have booked a suite so we can eat in Coastal Kitchen for the week.  Figured that will be less crowded than the MDR or WJ.  We also figured we can just hide in our cabin or on our balcony and watch the Alaskan scenery go by.  Masks all the time won't be fun but at least if we are on our balcony, we wouldn't have to have one on.

I do have a balcony booked. Maybe that and a drink package....😊

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Do you have anything booked in 2022 + or - the 4 weeks.  I know that would influence my decision if I had an open spot to shift the cruise to. By end of November (deadline for lift and shift) I think we will have a clearer picture on what January will be like. 

13 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Same here and also booked a suite (Allure)  Not counting our December cruise which will most likely not happen

Edited by molly361
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Do you have anything booked in 2022 + or - the 4 weeks.  I know that would influence my decision if I had an open spot to shift the cruise to. By end of November (deadline for lift and shift) I think we will have a clearer picture on what January will be like. 

I have Allure booked for Jan 2022. It is an 8 nighter with a really nice itinerary so I couldn't shift my 7 night Jan 2021 Oasis to that. None of the options for shifting my Oasis cruise to looked appealing enough to cancel the 8 nighter.

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

I have Allure booked for Jan 2022. It is an 8 nighter with a really nice itinerary so I couldn't shift my 7 night Jan 2021 Oasis to that. None of the options for shifting my Oasis cruise to looked appealing enough to cancel the 8 nighter.

That makes the decision more difficult as if mid January you decided protocols were not to your liking then taking an FCC that would have an expiry date of 12 months from when you cancelled may just miss being able to be applied to Allure in 2022....not sure of your sailing dates or if you had another cruise in between you could apply it to. 

24 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That makes the decision more difficult as if mid January you decided protocols were not to your liking then taking an FCC that would have an expiry date of 12 months from when you cancelled may just miss being able to be applied to Allure in 2022....not sure of your sailing dates or if you had another cruise in between you could apply it to. 

Does the 12 month expiration date mean the cruise has to be booked and the FCC applied before that time or the cruise has to be taken by that time?

9 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Looks like I may have to cancel Oasis.

Oasis is Jan 24. Allure is Jan 22. Does that work?

You would have to cancel Oasis on the 21st.  It would depend on whether they dated the FCC from that day or the day they processed it which would be a few weeks later.  I know that I would be calling and trying to get an exception made but there are no guarantees. Perhaps  a phone call to guest relations 800.256.6649 and ask them if that’s a possibility and have it noted on both reservations if it’s allowed. 

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

You would have to cancel Oasis on the 21st.  It would depend on whether they dated the FCC from that day or the day they processed it which would be a few weeks later.  I know that I would be calling and trying to get an exception made but there are no guarantees. Perhaps  a phone call to guest relations 800.256.6649 and ask them if that’s a possibility and have it noted on both reservations if it’s allowed. 

Thanks very much. I had completely forgotten that expiration dates varied by whether the cruise is cancelled or if the customer cancels. All the variables are sure taking some of the fun out of the planning and anticipation this time around.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

And for approx 85% (WHO data) of those who test positive there are ZERO symptoms

And CDC and others say 40% who test positive are asymptomatic. In either case, what concerns me is no one knows for sure or at what rate if the asymptomatic people can transmit the disease to others. That makes air travel trickier.