The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Good eye @dogs4fun.  Not a reflection from a plane, but it is near Schiphol.  It's from our hotel room, looking out on Rembrandtpark.  Guess I don't have to ask for the city, as Schiphol will be enough.

You're up next.

@Renmar, my husband comes from down south, Oirschot area.

Edited by Daisi

Very nice picture. I think we might need some kind of little hint, at least I do, because this could be anywhere in the world. Within a 50 mile/80km radius from our home we have many similar looking chutes.

I also going to take a wild guess; France- Rhone river?

Theo

4 minutes ago, Renmar said:

Very nice picture. I think we might need some kind of little hint, at least I do, because this could be anywhere in the world. Within a 50 mile/80km radius from our home we have many similar looking chutes.

I also going to take a wild guess; France- Rhone river?

Theo

Wrong continent. This was within walking distance from the pier.

15 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Yangtse in China?

Yes it is, Over to you

The tour is called "Tribe of the Three Gorges". It was like a mini "theme park" centered around life before the dam was built, but the stream and waterfalls were natural. I have attached a couple of extra photos, the last photo is looking in as we passed on the boat.527225041_2012-06ChinaTom541.thumb.jpg.e429c778a31bc4252222fe2dc170732e.jpg1417958771_2012-06ChinaTom542.thumb.jpg.c3d6e789324c151539fab87a17928f1d.jpg645407713_201206janchina237.thumb.jpg.fc8aa8437196c8af9264ca6e6eca43e2.jpg1005405580_2012-06ChinaTom558.thumb.jpg.24e7f0c949efffc25521721c1c5fe4a3.jpg238216364_2012-06ChinaTom581.thumb.jpg.e0277313d02a13b1d29baab53672d293.jpg

vada_9, that's a really nice park!

OK, here you go. Name the sight, city, and the river cruise that includes this city.

Hint: this is very near to something that was recently discussed in this thread. It is about two minutes while walking at a tourist's pace.

745972235_CCPic26.thumb.JPG.3e95b7e09e2e234e690bb9cb6dbbf5f2.JPG

Edited by jpalbny

8 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

vada_9, that's a really nice park!

OK, here you go. Name the sight, city, and the river cruise that includes this city.

Hint: this is very near to something that was recently discussed in this thread. It is about two minutes while walking at a tourist's pace.

745972235_CCPic26.thumb.JPG.3e95b7e09e2e234e690bb9cb6dbbf5f2.JPG

Berlin? Globe Fountain?

Edited by Coral

20 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

You're good! And you're next.

Yes, we walked by here on the way to see the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church. It was very close by. See the chocolate replica a few pages back. 

If and when I can ever travel again - I want to spend more time in Germany as my Mom spent her teenage years there as a brat. I have been reading up on sites in Germany and recently was reading travel guides and Berlin was one of the cities I was reading on. I have a friend who is planning to do her sabbatical there and I am hoping to sleep on her couch for awhile! 

@Coral Sleeping on a couch in Berlin sounds like student fun. :classic_biggrin: Perhaps your friend may offer you the bed and sleep on the couch instead, after that long flight from the US. Berlin is a kind of weird capital for a country but that I think makes it fascinating. The museum island is amazing, for a completely different aspect of the city go to Spandau. A Hochbahn tram ride is a must I think (unless you know New York which has a bigger one of course). Talking of trains: remember that Germany has got a very good passenger rail system, you can get to Würzburg (your mum was there, wasn't she?) direct or changing once or twice.

Right, the photo. I have not seen this angle before but the wall looks familiar, one I have seen on television or a similar one. Does it have names of fallen soldiers inscribed on it?

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Right, the photo. I have not seen this angle before but the wall looks familiar, one I have seen on television or a similar one. Does it have names of fallen soldiers inscribed on it?

There are graphics and text on the wall. Here is a picture of the graphics. I can't find the text on the wall but I think you have the concept correctly. My guess it is it is a saying about the event more than individual names.

carved-reliefs.thumb.jpg.421026b209991509d404c713636748da.jpg

Edited by Coral

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

@Coral Sleeping on a couch in Berlin sounds like student fun. :classic_biggrin: Perhaps your friend may offer you the bed and sleep on the couch instead, after that long flight from the US. Berlin is a kind of weird capital for a country but that I think makes it fascinating. The museum island is amazing, for a completely different aspect of the city go to Spandau. A Hochbahn tram ride is a must I think (unless you know New York which has a bigger one of course). Talking of trains: remember that Germany has got a very good passenger rail system, you can get to Würzburg (your mum was there, wasn't she?) direct or changing once or twice.

I think it would be too much to expect my friend to afford a 2 bedroom place - so I will be lucky to get the couch! This is all dreaming - she has a sabbatical she is due for and wants to spend it in Germany. Who knows when this will happen with COVID. Yes - my Mom went to high school in Wurzburg. My friend speaks fluent German and has lived there previously for short periods of time. Probably a college semester, etc.... I don't think she has fully decided on Berlin but that is one place we both want to spend time in.

40 minutes ago, Coral said:

There are graphics and text on the wall. Here is a picture of the graphics. I can't find the text on the wall but I think you have the concept correctly. My guess it is it is a saying about the event more than individual names.

carved-reliefs.thumb.jpg.421026b209991509d404c713636748da.jpg

Just found the text and it is a poem.

37 minutes ago, Coral said:

Just found the text and it is a poem.

I would have said "In Flanders Fields" but it does not look like that, more Eastern like Russian or in the former Soviet Bloc, like Hungary, to me. So, Eastern Europe?

notamermaid

21 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I would have said "In Flanders Fields" but it does not look like that, more Eastern like Russian or in the former Soviet Bloc, like Hungary, to me. So, Eastern Europe?

notamermaid

Yes - Eastern Europe.

I don't think this is a stop that most river cruisers see probably due to time constraints. I happened to see it on a land vacation.

Edited by Coral