The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Here are 2 ceiling pictures taken in ******** ?? These pictures are NOT part of our game because they were taken not even close to a river that is used for river cruising (I think, not sure).

Anyway, still looking for a picture that i can use to keep the game going.

TheoDSCF2859.thumb.JPG.f701bdcb8b707f4a2447f72eca7c487b.JPGDSCF2851.thumb.JPG.a09e8850861d178937a5f8fba2baff95.JPG

OK here we go. This picture was not taken on a river but rather in a harbour (obviously). The body of water were this was taken is used by river cruising companies so I hope this will pass the rules.

Name the City-the body of water & the type of vessel. The right answer will get you to choose the next picture.

Theo1859899447_P1000099(2).thumb.JPG.34608391c2e609f8f2196aabba6f87f9.JPG

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Dutch sailing barge with lee boards in Amsterdam harbour. Wild guess. CA

Wrong city and the barge type  has a name (same ship as in my avatar).

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

I think it may be some place further out on the Jsselmeeer, perhaps Hoorn?

Also wrong city but close, IJselmeer is correct.

3:30 AM, one of my bouts with insomnia🥱.

Theo

8 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Is it a Tjalk? CA

Although not a Tjalk it is a very close sister/brother so I give this one to you. It is a botter (very well renovated).

Now just the city and we're done.

The botter is an old Dutch type of fishing vessel with a flat to slightly V-shaped surface

Botters mainly fished in the former Zuiderzee, but were also used for coastal fishing in the North Sea. The type originated in the 2nd half of the 18th century.

Theo

The flag helped me along so I can say that I found the town, but the more difficult part is the vessel so this will go to canal archive... To make sure I will only tell you that the distinctive building is called the Drommedaris. @Canal archive, off you go, looking for the that building on the Ijsselmeer. ☺️ 

notamermaid 

We’ve had a couple of these although motorised on the K & A their shallow draught makes them ideal for canals. A friend of ours has version moored in a marina just north of Amsterdam and he’s furious that he cannot use it and has to put up with his narrow boat in the U.K. (poor him). Will look for a picture to tease your minds. CA

30 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

I cannot remember where I took this (these) pictures it is a copy of what was found, must be the oldest ever seen on CC, I really got into hot water for taking it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.98400fa1dbca5547df466157aa011d64.jpeg

Looks like a replica of ancient cave art but I have no idea where you saw it.

8 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Enkhuizen I agree with. But I would prefer to call @Renmar to officially pass it on before we look at the cave art (which I also think it is). Perhaps he is catching up on sleep.

notamermaid

Agree - we should wait to hear from @Renmar. But, who will post the next photo ... Daisi or Canal archive? Daisi correctly identified the location of the boat.

BTW, I also agree with cave art. Looks like a copy of the stone-age cave paintings found in Chauvet, France.

Edited by dogs4fun

38 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

It looks similar to every rooftop in Honfleur. But I can't find that exact one in my pictures from there. Still, that's my guess, Seine and Honfleur. 

Sorry, but way off...wrong country. 🙂

32 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

It is a small ship so I will go for a river location. The slate looks Western European, but is not really distinctive enough, so I throw in a wild guess: Arnhem on the Nederrijn, i.e. Rhine.

notamermaid

Right country, wrong location.

5 hours ago, Canal archive said:

I cannot remember where I took this (these) pictures it is a copy of what was found, must be the oldest ever seen on CC, I really got into hot water for taking it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.98400fa1dbca5547df466157aa011d64.jpeg

I had a similar experience at the Book of Kells exhibit in Dublin.  It was made clear that photography of the Book of Kells itself was forbidden, which I totally get.  In the museum prior to seeing the actual book they have huge copies of some of the pages on the wall.  I got yelled at for photographing one of them--apologized and deleted the photos.  The reason became clear upon entering the gift shop afterward--they are selling Book of Kells images on EVERYTHING possible, so it was about their copyrights, not the "fragility" of a  poster in the exhibit.