The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

I remember the Lascaux paintings from my history book at school, they have always fascinated me, but are a little different in style. It cannot be Altamira I think as that is in the North of Spain where there are no river cruises. But I have seen these horses images somewhere in photos. I reckon they are either in Spain, Portugal or Southern France.

notamermaid

Thank you, gnome12.

I take the wild card and would like to challenge you with this one. Please name the river and city, it is a river cruise port. The building on the left is more interesting than the modern glass one, but you do not need to guess that. But you will probably get to river and city best by finding out what the full name of this glass box is:

974044556_20.1.2013001-Kopie(2).thumb.JPG.6753624a7b2ec788df7f5d5784f870ed.JPG

notamermaid

15 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I believe that the photo depicts the Städel Museum along with Holbein's Restaurant. Main River, Frankfurt.

Indeed it is. No challenge for you. Next time I just post a bit of dark red cloth of the flag :classic_biggrin:. Well done. The proper photo:

1654001456_20.1.2013001.thumb.JPG.baf3709a4f2f01c4c3117bef793f0bf1.JPG

I went on a cultural day trip in January 2013, they had a great exhibition in the Städel that I wanted to see. I had a quick lunch in Holbein's. Really upmarket, but pleasant. I assume it is as good now as it was then, I recommended it.

The Städel is an amazing museum. Lots of digital indulgence in art if one likes roaming around museum websites: https://www.staedelmuseum.de/en

Over to you, dogs4fun.

notamermaid

53 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Indeed it is. No challenge for you. Next time I just post a bit of dark red cloth of the flag :classic_biggrin:.

Ha - you have challenged me many times with several of your photos. I was lucky & recognized the Städel. 

I believe it is @Renmar who enjoys taking photos of ceilings? I submit the next photo for those of you who enjoy looking up. 🙂

Where is this ceiling located? City, river and venue please.

MME.thumb.jpg.909366ef292f47d2343ae6f3320efc3d.jpg

Edited by dogs4fun

Oh, all right. It is quite fascinating to see that many people go to the same places as one would expect but people also recognize some places instantly when you think "my, this will be difficult". A few places that seem obvious to oneself can be very tricky for many others.

Okay, your photo. Well that is a ceiling in typical chinoiserie of Rococo characters in European dress in a gay outdoor scene reminiscent of Watteau. But for all my annoying learned talking, it is not helping me, I have absolutely no clue where that is. :classic_biggrin:

notamermaid

• Haha 1

With its theme of Amor and pleasurable things this points me to the idea of the Lustschloss or Maison de Plaisance, you know "my second home" or "my hunting lodge" of the nobility. There are a few of these Lustschlösser in Germany, but you call it a venue and there is modern ceiling lighting which suggests it is used in the evening for modern entertainment.

Still no clue as regards river or city, but perhaps somebody remembers such a place.

notamermaid

This venue can be visited as an excursion on a Viking River Cruise (and probably others as well) although I did not visit via river cruise.

With your vast knowledge of art @notamermaid, I am relatively certain that you have visited this venue.

Major Hint: It is a short distance upstream from the capital city of Saxony.

4 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

@dogs4fun to my shame I have not been to Saxony, so only know the area from photos and television. I suspected it might be in the East of Germany but have no way of narrowing it down to a place in Saxony.

notamermaid

@dogs4fun said it was just a little upstream from the capitol of Saxony. I think Dresden is the Capital that is why I made those guesses of the castle and the hotel.

Theo

Yes, the crossed swords is the trademark always underneath the objects of desire. And, my goodness, it is the place where the china (porcelain) exhibited costs half a house! 😉 

No, not going to say, I am off to bed.

notamermaid 

PS: crossed paths with previous post.

Edited by notamermaid
Clarification