The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

11 minutes ago, Renmar said:

Unless they thought me wrong in school but I believe that it is downstream from Dresden.

Theo

Sorry - you are correct -  Meissen is downstream from Dresden. Directionally challenged when consulting a map - should have stuck with northwest 🤓

Edited by dogs4fun

27 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Sorry - you are correct -  Meissen is downstream from Dresden. Directionally challenged when consulting a map - should have stuck with northwest 🤓

I'm normally pretty good with north/south directions [as opposed to 'left' and 'the other left' 😉] but when looking at Nile cruises I am always confused – a river that flows North???  Upper Egypt is in the South???  Can't get my head around that whole thing...

• Like 1

As I live North of the European watershed for me all rivers basically flow North (or East to West for the Main and Seine). When I stood on the left bank of the Rhone many years ago, I seriously thought the river was flowing in the wrong direction. A visual challenge. :classic_biggrin: 

@dogs4fun have you awarded the price to canal archive?

notamermaid

Look up this caught my eye because the original workmanship was beautiful and it had been really let go. There’s a story here but country and river will do as I should but cannot remember the name of the village.

image.thumb.jpeg.cd78afb76f83f1072e415ac2fb2badf8.jpeg

Edited by Canal archive
Didn’t check spell checker!

As hipped roofs are widespread and this picture shows no hint on the whereabout and a relatively good state of preservation (@notamermaid, "neglected" swiss barn is similar to "well preserved" in other countries 🙂) , we have to take the invitation to name only river and country. So, to start Rhone river, France.

On 12/16/2020 at 6:53 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

We did the Chobe River cruise on the Zambezi Queen with AmaWaterways in 2018.  It was a great trip! – see the link to my blog in my signature.

AMA is part-owned by APT.  Between the two I suspect that Zambezi Queen is fully chartered most of the time.

I just read your entire review of the AMAWaterways African Safari on your blog and boy what an amazing trip and a wonderful detailed description and review. Thank you so much for sharing! You mentioned at the end of the review that you had read cruise critic posts about AmaWaterways African Safari trips and I was wondering how you found those posts. I seem to have the worst time finding posts and or threads about AmaWaterways various African itineraries. Can you give some tips?

20 minutes ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

@notamermaid, "neglected" swiss barn is similar to "well preserved" in other countries 🙂)

Indeed.

@Canal archive Bamburgh Castle has a very nice collection of Meissen porcelain. If you happen to go up to the area some time...

notamermaid

1 hour ago, MoneypennyCupcake said:

I just read your entire review of the AMAWaterways African Safari on your blog and boy what an amazing trip and a wonderful detailed description and review. Thank you so much for sharing! You mentioned at the end of the review that you had read cruise critic posts about AmaWaterways African Safari trips and I was wondering how you found those posts. I seem to have the worst time finding posts and or threads about AmaWaterways various African itineraries. Can you give some tips?

Don't remember.  I don't see much on Cruise Critic now.

The reason we went on this excursion was to see more of the interior away from the river, we had tour of the house and the history of the some of the family who occupied it during the war was fascinating. We then had a sweet making experience made even more interesting by the police arriving and demanding to see the owners books (evidently this is law regardless of the fact that she had customers). Luckily our superb tour guide took over a lady of many talents. Our hosts books passed the police examination so we’re all happy. The ceiling is part of the house only now used occasionally for weddings as it is a chapel as they say compact and bijou but so pretty. In a small country that makes an exceedingly good alcoholic beverage of several colours now including pink. 
A few more guesses and I will let you know. CA

6 hours ago, jpalbny said:

That building is Casa de las Conchas in Salamanca, Spain. We passed by there and took pix on our DIY Douro trip in November 2019.

How close can you get to Salamanca on the Douro river, is it doable on a day trip?

Theo

Here's a pretty building for you. Name the city and river, and the building. I have a sneaking suspicion that we ate here... There are galleries under the balcony, with tables and good food & drink to be had. We were passing through here on our way from point A to point B though you are free to visit here from a river cruise as well (there is a clue to the name of the town in this sentence).

617907443_CCPic27.thumb.JPG.effccf14be14c2ba5ef2b1bfe930e485.JPG

8 minutes ago, Renmar said:

How close can you get to Salamanca on the Douro river, is it doable on a day trip?

Theo

Let's see. I think it took us about 3 - 3.5 hours to drive from the Miradouro Sao Leonardo (halfway between Porto and the Spain/Portugal border) to Salamanca. Don't forget that the clocks move ahead an hour when you cross over into Spain so you get there an hour later than you might expect!

Salamanca is a better stopover between the Douro and Madrid, than a day trip from the Douro, unless of course you are based much further east than we were. It's a gorgeous city though and well worth a visit.

Edited by jpalbny