The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Really like the unusual angle, @AnhaltER1960 I seriously enjoy platforms and tunnels and technical details of rail and underground travel. Here is the photo of a London platform with organized cables: IMG_20190806_193129.thumb.jpg.7fff4d1d03e1749603e9372a658b8f4a.jpg

@Canal archive I do applaud the English for that, my experiences in business have been good ones. Many years ago my former big boss from London came to visit the offices and found boxes lining a hallway. He said: "That is not good, it is a fire safety issue." Neither of my two direct bosses had said anything for days.

Unfortunately I have no idea where your photo might have been taken. It looks like you are on a boat in a lock on a sunny day, upwards, I think the water is running into the lock.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

It is the deepest lock at 23 metres on the Rhône river, Bollene Lock. CA

Ah, you gave the answer already, I was going to guess which river it would be by going down the list of rivers in Germany then France etc. Oh well. 

Who is getting the next one?

Theo

15 hours ago, notamermaid said:

But, my, they have a "Kabelsalat" here! Need to get that sorted, even if they like the "laissez-faire".

Savoir ligne, if I may put it this way. After all, it seems to work. Though your example of prussian Londoners looked convincing indeed.

"Prussian Londoners", now that is a phrase to be used more often. Keep it in the back of your mind for entry in the Oxford Dictionary. I have learned from an online dictionary that Kabelsalat is colloquial for Kabelgewirr, which translates to cable tangle. The imagery is there in both words, but Kabelsalat has that little bit extra, still prefer it.

Now, need to do some shopping on this weirdest of Rose Mondays.

notamermaid

My husband worked for a German company for many years and I well remember one year joining him at an exhibition in London. At the time the majority of his German colleagues could speak English but the English could not speak German except my husband who had just taken a crash course and not told anyone. At lunch on the first day one the German guys sidled up to me and whispered, he doesn’t understand German does he? I just smiled. 
Here is a quick where is it? Should be fairly easy.

image.thumb.jpeg.9954efe23ac715057cfba646ea455bf6.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Superb Renmar your go now.

Not many people look up this one fascinated me like the church ceiling in Honfluer. CA

I always take pictures of ceilings. Ones I was busted at the Sistine Chapel trying to take pictures. I had to show them my camera and they deleted the "offending" pictures right there. Lucky for me they left all other pictures on it.

I have to look for some river related pictures on my laptop, tablet & camera before I can post. I promise it will be today (Vancouver time).

Theo