The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

So you choose 2500! I would have taken 2501 just to start our goal towards 5000 which is not too much to ask for. It took only 4 months to go to 2500 and by the sound of it we still have another few months to go before we can cruise again safely. Normally I am an optimist but in this case I can see the writing on the wall and I am not holding my breath for our planned cruise in September.

So, keep the pictures coming and continue the fun.

Theo

This looks like something devotional, a little chapel with "mother and child". The couple do not ring a bell in my memory but I got the feeling this may be on the Danube that I sailed, possibly near the German/Austrian border. I think there is also a legend attached to it.

notamermaid

7 hours ago, notamermaid said:

This looks like something devotional, a little chapel with "mother and child". The couple do not ring a bell in my memory but I got the feeling this may be on the Danube that I sailed, possibly near the German/Austrian border. I think there is also a legend attached to it.

notamermaid

Yes, youre right. See https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jochenstein

The lock, which CA describes, is just a couple of metres upriver, as can be seen on Google Satellite.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

It’s on the Main Danube Canal,

Are you sure ? If so, we are talking about different chapels and I am wrong. The Jochenstein, which I (thought to have) identified, is in the Danube, some 20 km downriver from Passau and, as @notamermaid correctly remembered, on the Austrian - German border.

Never mind ... opened the link provided by @AnhaltER1960 and read that the mermaid's name is Isa & she is located on the North bank of the Danube opposite the Jochenstein. Interesting legend. More info and photos here:

https://www.schoener-reisen.at/thread/5412-3-sankt-nepomuk-der-brückenheilige-teil-3/?pageNo=7

https://www.binnenschifferforum.de/showthread.php?1423-DER-Jochenstein

Edited by dogs4fun

27 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Thank you all for your input I now know all about one more of my pictures. I will find one more for further research. CA

P.S. It certainly challenged me to decipher the German.

Meanwhile, I think you had earlier already awarded the price of next photo to @AnhaltER1960, is that correct?

By the way, I later realized that we (Germans) had talked about Jochenstein and the Isa legend on the thread on the Danube about a year (?) ago and was a bit annoyed that my memory had only done a partial retainment of info. Apart from the fact that I am not 30 anymore, I think Coronavirus situation weirdness has added to the impact of age... I really need to get back to work and out into the world.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Missing word

No, @dogs4fun, I think he is referring to the famous platform edge, everybody loves it. 😀 It is in my top ten, but my favourite is the crescent one in London, I think it is at Bank tube station (seriously). But, my, they have a "Kabelsalat" here! Need to get that sorted, even if they like the "laissez-faire". Even the British know how to organize cables in London and that is difficult! I will show you a photo of an organized train station in a minute. Only kidding of course, the British are very good at health and safety.

notamermaid