Transtasman bubble: Air NZ, Qantas, Jetstar restart flights 

I am still struggling to see what the fuss is about. Travel NZ - AU via NSW or NT , pass immigration, enter another state that is open to NSW or NT and meet their quarantine or COVID restriction requirements, just like everyone else in the relevant state. More chance of COVID arriving in another state with via a Sydney resident than someone who had been in NZ I would think. Not sure how the person who entered VIC managed to come back into NSW though without quarantine in NSW? Perhaps they already had a special permit, or reside in the border bubble. This whole thing has really shown what a farce things in the supposed "federation" have become. 

Given that you cannot travel AU-NZ yet without quarantining in NZ, it is highly likely that the people who have arrived in AU from NZ are AU citizens or residents who have been trying to get back to AU. Or agriculture workers etc. I can't imaging too many tourists from NZ coming over to AU for a holiday....where can they go? I guess see a bit of NSW and SA? And then need to quarantine on return to NZ. 

• Like 1

It's just a storm in a teacup. It sounds like there was a misunderstanding, perhaps the federal government didn't clearly spell out what was expected to happen, and the state premiers were taken a bit by surprise. It's no big deal, as ELep says. They have to follow the rules of whichever state they end up in and the risk is negligible.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

What does Aust Border Force actually do?  What are their responsibilities?  The only time I hear of them is when they are stating that something wasn't their responsibility 

(e.g. Ruby Princess and NZ/Aust bubble).

I note that ABF is an amalgamation of two Federal Departments.  I wonder if the amalgamation wasn't a success.

Given who is responsible for that department what do you expect? He's more of the "divide and conquer" type.

10 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Leigh, There are many people, like myself, who agree with what you were trying to explain so well.  You may have noticed I don't argue with people whose opinion I don't respect.  I just hope we don't get like the US where people don't listen to other points of view.  

Well, two points of view were put forward. I listened to the other point of view, but it didn't stack up. Whereas my argument was just walked away from after I was accused of "interrogation" - when there was no questioning of the individual to begin with, just two different points of view on how this has been handled.

10 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

If only we could have a little bit of Jacinta's kindness.  

Indeed. Well, NSW made a start (with the NT) by opening up transfers. Victoria joined the party with Jacinta belatedly, after some contradictory noise. And Queensland, well, we're still waiting on some kindness towards people still held up in NZ with the clear record of cases.

25 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Another bubble burst today...news that the Captain is laying off a further 160 staff and closing 23 more stores.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/428869/flight-centre-cuts-another-160-staff-to-close-23-more-stores

Thanks David, our one in Batemans Bay closed down 6 months ago and is not coming back.  I think most of the Captain's stores in Australia have shut down for good. All those jobs lost in the Aust/NZ travel industry. So sad.

Edited by NSWP

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Thanks David, our one in Batemans Bay closed down 6 months ago and is not coming back.  I think most of the Captain's stores in Australia have shut down for good. All those jobs lost in the Aust/NZ travel industry. So sad.

The Captain has a sign in our local store, in the shopping centre, stating that they are not on of the stores marked for closure. How long they can last is another thing.🤔

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NSWP said:

With more positives in NSW today, ten I think, the Qld Premier will have have her ring of steel around the border for some time yet.

I hope so. If the virus takes off I won't be able to go on any more "long weekends" up the coast.

I just got back from Noosa yesterday. It's obvious numbers are down on weekdays, but the weekends seemed to be doing good business.

36 minutes ago, NSWP said:

With more positives in NSW today, ten I think, the Qld Premier will have have her ring of steel around the border for some time yet.

Eight of those were overseas arrivals in quarantine, only two were community transmissions.

NZ had a blip today , 25 , but they were already in quarantine. They were Russian

seamen part of a team of 100 crew to man deep sea fishing fleet . The crew work 6 mth Contracts  at sea , but the present shift have been out at sea for a year, unable to land due to covid .