Transtasman bubble: Air NZ, Qantas, Jetstar restart flights 

1 minute ago, The_Big_M said:

They travelled to NSW. Then they travelled on to Vic.

This is the problem with poor governance. What's the reason for Vic excluding NZ arrivals? Makes no sense, so the handling is shambolic.

Beacuse Victoria is not part of the travel bubble at this time. The travellers from NZ are only meant to go to NSW and NT. The Premier was asked by the PM and he said not at this time but in the future Victoria will be involved. When Victorians are still unable to move around in all areas of the state he didn't think it fair that NZers could come to Victoria and move around the state. 

Leigh

• Like 1

Still doesn't make any sense. In Victoria, there's no reason they would have any more rights to travel than any other Victorian. And he could apply that. 

So it's just an arbitrary nonsensical restriction, and being treated like that.

14 hours ago, possum52 said:

Beacuse Victoria is not part of the travel bubble at this time. The travellers from NZ are only meant to go to NSW and NT. The Premier was asked by the PM and he said not at this time but in the future Victoria will be involved. When Victorians are still unable to move around in all areas of the state he didn't think it fair that NZers could come to Victoria and move around the state. 

Leigh

Even Victoria themselves say it is fine for people from NZ to travel to NSW, then on to Victoria, as is commonsense based on the current rules.

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/information-overseas-travellers-coronavirus-disease-covid-19#travelling-to-victoria-from-new-zealand

"This allows travellers from New Zealand to arrive in New South Wales and the Northern Territory without having to quarantine for 14 days on arrival.  

Currently the Victorian borders are open. If you are travelling from New Zealand and have passed all relevant immigration and biosecurity requirements as established by the Federal Government, New South Wales Government and Northern Territory Government, then you are able to travel to Victoria. You do not need to quarantine for 14 days on arrival in Victoria.  "

Definitely an own goal there for the Premier.

Edited by The_Big_M
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Big_M said:

Even Victoria themselves say it is fine for people from NZ to travel to NSW, then on to Victoria, as is commonsense based on the current rules.

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/information-overseas-travellers-coronavirus-disease-covid-19#travelling-to-victoria-from-new-zealand

"This allows travellers from New Zealand to arrive in New South Wales and the Northern Territory without having to quarantine for 14 days on arrival.  

Currently the Victorian borders are open. If you are travelling from New Zealand and have passed all relevant immigration and biosecurity requirements as established by the Federal Government, New South Wales Government and Northern Territory Government, then you are able to travel to Victoria. You do not need to quarantine for 14 days on arrival in Victoria.  "

Definitely an own goal there for the Premier.

Not an own goal at all. When asked about the statement on the DHHS website, the Premier stated that the above was put on the website at 8.30pm Sunday 18th October after accepting that there will now be visitors allowed to travel to Victoria from NSW even though Victoria along with all states and territories bar NSW and NT told Mr Morrison that they did not want to be involved in the Travel Bubble with NZ.

Not being part of the "Travel Bubble" means not allowing Melbourne to be an entry port. It doesn't mean you are entitled to ban them from entering the state, after passing through the proper processes in Sydney. 

They provide no greater biosecurity risk than a New South Welshman...once they have been screened in Sydney.

However, once in Victoria, they must abide by the Victorian regulations...just as a New South Welshman entering Victoria must...just as they have in WA, where they entered quarantine.

If Victoria doesn't want visitors...close the Border.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Not an own goal at all. When asked about the statement on the DHHS website, the Premier stated that the above was put on the website at 8.30pm Sunday 18th October after accepting that there will now be visitors allowed to travel to Victoria from NSW even though Victoria along with all states and territories bar NSW and NT told Mr Morrison that they did not want to be involved in the Travel Bubble with NZ.

How long did your Premier wish to ban these recent arrivals from NZ from travelling from NSW to Victoria ?

1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, a month ?

Edited by Tranquility Base

9 minutes ago, possum52 said:

So they don't make an announcement after all the noise, but just make a silent update to a website. With that website statement going against all the noise they'd previously created? They also wouldn't just "accept there will now be visitors" if there was any reason against it.

How about having a Sunday update from them explaining their about face - so that everyone including prospective travellers are aware of their position, instead of just trying to slide it through on the QT? It's an own goal whatever the sequence or basis given the way it was managed.

• Like 2

Ok I am only reporting on what the Victorian Premier has stated on a few occasions over the weekend.

I am not participating in this thread any longer. I am not on this board to be interrogated about something my state government does or decided. If you have a problem with it contact the Premier.

Leigh

I think there is so much white noise, people are forgetting the reason why Victoria was in lockdown.

Remember even 100 years ago everything was fine until people screamed to open up and then it wasn't, 40% (2 million) infection rate and 0.3% (15,000) deaths.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Ok I am only reporting on what the Victorian Premier has stated on a few occasions over the weekend.

I am not participating in this thread any longer. I am not on this board to be interrogated about something my state government does or decided. If you have a problem with it contact the Premier.

Leigh

Leigh, There are many people, like myself, who agree with what you were trying to explain so well.  You may have noticed I don't argue with people whose opinion I don't respect.  I just hope we don't get like the US where people don't listen to other points of view.  If only we could have a little bit of Jacinta's kindness.  

• Like 2

Just read in RNZ.CO.NZ that one of the NZ passengers who went to Vic., returned to NSW on the Sunday.  Hope the person didn't get infected in Vic.  What would the process be to travel from Vic. to NSW?  I thought the border was closed in that direction.

45 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Just read in RNZ.CO.NZ that one of the NZ passengers who went to Vic., returned to NSW on the Sunday.  Hope the person didn't get infected in Vic.  What would the process be to travel from Vic. to NSW?  I thought the border was closed in that direction.

A 14 day quarantine is in place for arrivals from Melbourne into Sydney, unless they have an exemption. Source: SYD Airport.

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Leigh, There are many people, like myself, who agree with what you were trying to explain so well.  You may have noticed I don't argue with people whose opinion I don't respect.  I just hope we don't get like the US where people don't listen to other points of view.  If only we could have a little bit of Jacinta's kindness.  

Let's make Australia great again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

LOL  I presume you were joking!

Uncle Les does not jest, you know that by now, I have been on CC for 14 years.🤣🤡

Edited by NSWP

On 10/18/2020 at 9:04 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I wonder if those 17 people were shearers or other seasonal workers and their flights to Melbourne arranged by whoever organized to bring them to Australia. Perhaps there was some paperwork, permits or whatever, that went astray. 

Spot on.  I just read shearers were on first planes from NZ to Sydney to Melbourne.  Shearing Contractors had arranged permits for them to work in regional Vic.  This would explain why they were so quick to leave Melbourne Airport.

What does Aust Border Force actually do?  What are their responsibilities?  The only time I hear of them is when they are stating that something wasn't their responsibility 

(e.g. Ruby Princess and NZ/Aust bubble).

I note that ABF is an amalgamation of two Federal Departments.  I wonder if the amalgamation wasn't a success.