To B2B or not B2B?

matymil

So ive been going back and forth about booking our first B2B cruise in April of this spring. Id like some friendly advice since this would be our first time and we are nervous about putting out more money before the ships start sailing. Heres the story; we are leaving out of Canaveral on April 18th on the Breeze for 6 days and the following sailing is for 8 days and it hits Curacao (our favorite island) and Aruba (both of which are not on the previous cruise. Our first sailing is in a cove balcony but the 2nd one would be in an interior (about $1780 total). The first sailing was supposed to be on the Mardi Gras which got cancelled, then the Fascination which got sold....so the cruise is long since paid for plus we have like a grand in OBC and all of the excursions are already bought. Also we had another sailing this year as well (on the Magic) which got rebooked and then cancelled. We are also traveling from NJ with our 2 year old son so we aren't 100% sure about him being on the water for 14 days. With everything that's going on in the world, would you book the 2nd cruise? TIA 

This is just personal preference, but the only way we do B2Bs is if we can book the same cabin for both cruises. So based on that I wouldn’t book the second cruise. Based on what’s going on in the world, I would only book another cruise if I could afford to lose the money. As of today I don’t think it is an issue, but at some point in the future cruise lines are going to be dealing with potentially declaring bankruptcy if they can’t resume operations from US ports. 

• Like 1

We love doing B2B cruises but as stated above, we need to be in the same cabins on both legs. May not be a deal breaker for some but it is for us. Usually not a problem since we  book pretty far out. If you don't mind changing rooms, and that process really isn't that difficult, go for it. Btw, we are on the 4/18 Breeze cruise with you. 😎

• Like 1

Don't worry about your child, he'll have a blast!

It really comes down to your risk tolerance.  Personally I say go for it, but just know that everything's still in flux.  Have a Plan B ready to execute if your cruise(s) is/are cancelled.

Imo for next I would not. I had a b2b and due to wording of protocols suggested moved it.

Says they will restart with shorter cruises ... whatever that is

Also says YOU need to get a covid test 1 to 5 days before you board. 

The later.. are you willing to gamble they will let you not get a 2nd test, or do it onboard? It's a big gamble I wasnt willing to take until the new protocols are in place. 

While B2B's are quite enjoyable and I've done a few of them, my preference has now gravitated to 1 cruise of longer duration, like 2 weeks or more.

At first I enjoyed the quiet turnaround day back at the original port, but then I began to see it as almost a wasted day versus a day at sea or another port.  Carnival still had some Journey cruises of 10 days or so - {my fav was 10 days eastern from Miami to San Juan followed by an 11 day southern from San Juan to Miami} - but now the Journey cruises seem to have been on Carnival's older ships, yuck.

Some other lines have a wide variety of extended duration cruises, so it pays to shop around.  Sometimes a 14 day cruise comes out less than two 7 day B2B.

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

While B2B's are quite enjoyable and I've done a few of them, my preference has now gravitated to 1 cruise of longer duration, like 2 weeks or more.

At first I enjoyed the quiet turnaround day back at the original port, but then I began to see it as almost a wasted day versus a day at sea or another port.  Carnival still had some Journey cruises of 10 days or so - {my fav was 10 days eastern from Miami to San Juan followed by an 11 day southern from San Juan to Miami} - but now the Journey cruises seem to have been on Carnival's older ships, yuck.

Some other lines have a wide variety of extended duration cruises, so it pays to shop around.  Sometimes a 14 day cruise comes out less than two 7 day B2B.

Hes saying next april which might or might not be one of the earlier. I would still be concerned with the new protocols saying they will start with shorter cruises. April 2022 ...or 2023 ok. I have a b2b march 2022 ... april 2021 longer or b2b still sounds iffy to me. 

The lure of a 14 day for me would be the new ports, which will also possibly be iffy. I wanted panama, but think this is wrong time to book that dream cruise. Not until more is known.

12 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Also says YOU need to get a Covid19 test 1 to 5 days before you board. 

The later.. are you willing to gamble they will let you not get a 2nd test, or do it onboard? It's a big gamble I wasn't willing to take until the new protocols are in place. 

Testing will be a fact of life, be it rapid or PCR, but I think a vaccine record card like the one we all carried with our passport to visit certain parts of the world would be acceptable. 

6 hours ago, Moviela said:

Testing will be a fact of life, be it rapid or PCR, but I think a vaccine record card like the one we all carried with our passport to visit certain parts of the world would be acceptable. 

I hope so. I had a b2b in feb and felt I was cutting it too close to be vaccinated and moved it.

Now my first cruise is april 25th. I hope to be vaccinated and that the protocols can be changed by then. I just booked one 7 day, didnt want to push my luck. 

OP is also talking about next April 6 months from now. Above says carnival has to submit environmental plan to the courts 60 days before. I've read cdc wants them to assume liability if anyone gets sick. Changing the wording to allowing a vaccine card 6 months from now, next april seems overly optimistic to me. Sure I hope it comes to pass, just think by april the date OP is talking about ... they wouldnt move that fast.

Add in the costa cruise going on now, a b2b cut short because of positive cases onboard. .. just dont see how the protocols can be changed by OPs next april cruise to allow a vaccine card instead of a prior test.

Edited by firefly333

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Add in the costa cruise going on now, a b2b cut short because of positive cases onboard. .. just dont see how the protocols can be changed by OPs next april cruise to allow a vaccine card instead of a prior test.

I couldn't find any info on a costa cruise being cut short.  Could you post a link?  Thx!!

22 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think for the forseeable future cruise lines should not allow B2Bs. The recent outbreak on Costa Diadema is a perfect example of why it’s not a good idea to allow B2B cruises. 

Right if they say test before you board, there isnt time before the 2nd leg. Supposed to start with short cruises, I think b2bs shouldn't be allowed right off.

I love BTB cruises also, my next BTB is in 2022 for the Sailabration. In your situation I think I would contact Carnival and see if you can change your 6 day cruise to the 8 day southern route, go on the cruise you really want.  I’m not sure what penalties, if any would be charged to do this. I recently had to change the date on a 2021 cruise that was booked prior to the cancellation of inaugural Mardi Gras. I rebooked the new inaugural date but had to move the previously booked cruise because it departs the same day as the Mardi Gras returns. Problem was one on east coast one on west coast. They moved my cruise out one week further without any penalties or charges. 

• 2 weeks later...

The CDC report that came out this week said cruises can't be more than 7 days long. I suppose that might not affect BTB cruises since they are different cruises, but you never know. I would contact Carnival first before I booked a BTB if you were going to book them online and not go through a PVP.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Djptcp said:

The CDC report that came out this week said cruises can't be more than 7 days long. I suppose that might not affect BTB cruises since they are different cruises, but you never know. I would contact Carnival first before I booked a BTB if you were going to book them online and not go through a PVP.

My ta wouldnt book me on a b2b. The cant be over 7 days isnt clear for sure, but he doesnt want me to wind up with unused fcc