The future of Cunard

WorldTraveler151208

36 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

It may not be my thing, but the target demographics want the "bells and whistles" that ships like the Carnival Mardi Gras, Norwegian Joy, and RCI Oasis have.  It may not fit the genteel ocean liner feel, but it is what puts bodies in bunks.

In précis, the choices are, noise, bunks and bodies versus Genteel Cruising, Guests and Beds.

You appear to favour the former, but for how long?

25 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

In précis, the choices are, noise, bunks and bodies versus Genteel Cruising, Guests and Beds.

You appear to favour the former, but for how long?

I don't favor either, I'm just saying how business today works.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

I don't favor either, I'm just saying how business today works.

Agree bells and whistles, bunks and bodies is the today's business plan for Carnival Mardi Gras, Norwegian Joy, and RCI Oasis.  However, Cunard today's business plan offers a more genteel experience.  sed hospitem iudicat.

4 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Agree bells and whistles, bunks and bodies is the today's business plan for Carnival Mardi Gras, Norwegian Joy, and RCI Oasis.  However, Cunard today's business plan offers a more genteel experience.  sed hospitem iudicat.

I would be surprised if that business model continues.  Basically, if you're not increasing market share, you're failing.  And the genteel, likely older demographic is shrinking.

17 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Basically, if you're not increasing market share, you're failing.

The "Increase Market Share" mantra may be your basis for success,   However one's basis for success is profit, with cash being  king.  Increasing market share with no profit is failure in one's opinion.  

We have a difference of opinion, and one is unable to agree with you, because then we would both be wrong.

It is possible to enjoy both the genteel approach of Cunard and the bells and whistles of, for example, NCL.

In 2016 we did both, Southampton to New York and back with a week on the NCL Breakaway in the middle.  Over Christmas and New year this trip gave us 4+1 nights in New York.  Asking questions on NCL's boards drew a few raised eyebrows.  Senior citizens, in love with Cunard and then venturing onto the Breakaway over new year, some people even suggested changing ships!!!  

In the event we had a great time (probably helped by having the drinks package!).  But would I like Cunard to go down a similar route? No, I  wouldn't, but is there any compromise, a middle ground?  I don't have an answer .

7 minutes ago, babs135 said:

It is possible to enjoy both the genteel approach of Cunard and the bells and whistles of, for example, NCL.

In 2016 we did both, Southampton to New York and back with a week on the NCL Breakaway in the middle.  Over Christmas and New year this trip gave us 4+1 nights in New York.  Asking questions on NCL's boards drew a few raised eyebrows.  Senior citizens, in love with Cunard and then venturing onto the Breakaway over new year, some people even suggested changing ships!!!  

In the event we had a great time (probably helped by having the drinks package!).  But would I like Cunard to go down a similar route? No, I  wouldn't, but is there any compromise, a middle ground?  I don't have an answer .

Middle ground?  Possibly equates to P&O.  One will pass.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

5 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but not everyone who cruises whatever their age want "bells and whistles" and climbing walls and theme parks on the top deck. We are all different and of the many TAs I have done with Cunard they always seem to be very popular either one way ...

I agree.  We cruise Celebrity, HAL and last year our first Cunard (QE Alaska).  We are in our 70s and have no interest in rock walls, water slides, and similar items - we steer clear of ships which have those.  There are specific cruise lines that serve that demographic, but our demographic is elegance, fine craftsmanship, good service, good food, and dressing smartly in the evenings.  I like that Cunard sees the importance of retaining its traditions, because not all cruise lines should be the same, since it's okay to have a different type of atmosphere.

Edited by Flying-Dragon

One thing that we have really enjoyed on our two Cunard cruises is the relatively large activities staff, compared to other lines who have been cutting back on these folks.  To us, even though Cunard is way more elegant than other lines (and we love this), there is still plenty to do.  Last trip we did Zumba, line dance classes, ballroom dancing, sing-alongs,  lectures, trivia contests with hilarious hosts, and even fencing classes. Cunard sponsored a wonderful cocktail party for their club members one evening and the activity staff sponsored  a dance party with one of their evening entertainment stars on another evening.  There was tons of stuff for us to do.

Frankly, what we are seeing is the other lines like Celebrity, Royal and HAL are becoming boring as they cut back staff and therefore activities.

16 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I loathe organised activities but have been tempted by the art classes, of which I have heard nothing but good. Certainly there is plenty to do. Yet I spent a vast amount of time staring enraptured at the sea. 

I can recommend the art classes, although some teachers are better than others.

They're free if you bring your own paper, brushes and watercolour paints. Otherwise it's about $35 for the pack. Occasionally, the medium may change and you'll have to cough up!

The classes are usually 11:00 am and repeated at 2:00 pm (or thereabouts).

Happy painting.

Stewart

23 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Speaking as a classicist, quid?

Cunard will be doing alright. Currently the demand is super high and I am sure it wont take long for Conurd to make up for all its losses and be back on track again. Moreover, I am sure they have spent this time working out some new plans for 21-22 so I am sure they are doing alright.. or will be doing alright in a long run 

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

Cunard will be doing alright. Currently the demand is super high and I am sure it wont take long for Conurd to make up for all its losses and be back on track again. Moreover, I am sure they have spent this time working out some new plans for 21-22 so I am sure they are doing alright.. or will be doing alright in a long run 

i certainly hope so