Why even think about it

jskinsd

14 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Passengers Spready COVID-19 Despite Wearning N95 Mask

An example of just how dangerous flying can be is the experience of a virologist and epidemiologist who, because he was all too well aware of the risks of COVID-19, was very careful to wear a mask and gloves, and to wipe down all the surfaces which he touched, on a single recent flight.

He nevertheless contracted COVID-19 just days after his flight, and believes that - because of the many precautions he was so careful to take - it had to come from airborne virus particles which entered through his eyes during the flight.

So, if this is true, that COVID-19 can infect you by entering through your eyes, why the hell are we all wearing masks then?

Wut? Is this a serious question? Covid is transmitted by droplets in the air, aka from your mouth.. 

3 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

Wut? Is this a serious question? Covid is transmitted by droplets in the air, aka from your mouth.. 

Yeah, I see what (wut) you are saying. A mask should prevent covid transmission from your mouth to someone else. Even with that, the article said passengers spread covid despite wearing N-95 masks.

My question was somewhat tongue in cheek and I have doubt about the accuracy of the article.

2 hours ago, farmersfight said:

He nevertheless contracted COVID-19 just days after his flight, and believes that - because of the many precautions he was so careful to take - it had to come from airborne virus particles which entered through his eyes during the flight.

There is zero evidence that the assertion is true. Fact: The dude got COVID. Fact: The dude was on a flight. Fact: The dude was wearing a mask. Fact: Viruses can be introduced if they get in your eyes (and that is why they tell you not to touch your eyes and to wear eye protection). Beyond that, there is nothing that links the facts. The dude could have contracted the virus anywhere in his travels or at the grocery store the day after his trip. This is categorized as main stream media, sensationalized fake news. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, JustAPilot said:

It is mostly spread as an aerosol. Aerosols are virus spores unbonded to other particles. Like the dust particles you see floating in the air in a room when the sun is shining thru a window when it is about to set. Only much smaller. This is why masks are proving to be not to effective if you are in a room for very long with a lot of virus spores floating about. It is also why 6 foot distancing is no good. It should be obvious by now, masks and 6 foot distancing is not stopping covid from spreading. Put the mask on, but get in and back out as fast as possible when in an unventilated confined space.  The 6 foot stuff came up in 1934 by a virus researcher studying the spread of particles from sneezing, ie droplets.

20 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The dude could have contracted the virus anywhere in his travels or at the grocery store the day after his trip.

So BirdMan:  What hard evidence do you have that "the dude" didn't contract the disease by ocular means on the flight? 

"A new report published by JAMA Ophthalmology found preliminary data may suggest severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), might be transmitted through the eye. 

Researchers analyzed data from 38 patients infected with COVID-19 from Hubei Province, China, and found 12 (31.6%; 95% CI, 17.5%-48.7%) individuals had ocular manifestations, including epiphora, conjunctival congestion, or chemosis."

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, farmersfight said:

.....So, if this is true, that COVID-19 can infect you by entering through your eyes, why the hell are we all wearing masks then?

It is true, and has been known for most of the pandemic duration.

Mask wearing mitigates against ingesting droplets via mouth or nose, and protects others from you....it really is that simple!

😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

There is zero evidence that the assertion is true. Fact: The dude got COVID. Fact: The dude was on a flight. Fact: The dude was wearing a mask. Fact: Viruses can be introduced if they get in your eyes (and that is why they tell you not to touch your eyes and to wear eye protection). Beyond that, there is nothing that links the facts. The dude could have contracted the virus anywhere in his travels or at the grocery store the day after his trip. This is categorized as main stream media, sensationalized fake news. 

I think you should have directed your reply to @HaveWeMetYet, who is the one who posted the article (post #44). See my post #52 where I say that I have doubt about the accuracy of the article. So I agree with you, fake news.

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, hamrag said:

It is true, and has been known for most of the pandemic duration.

Mask wearing mitigates against ingesting droplets via mouth or nose, and protects others from you....it really is that simple!

😉

Got it, thanks. When I posted that, I was only thinking about the person on the receiving end. I forgot about and totally agree that masks protects others from me. But is it true, you can get infected by covid through the eyes? I have my doubts...

7 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

I think you should have directed your reply to @HaveWeMetYet, who is the one who posted the article (post #44). See my post #52 where I say that I have doubt about the accuracy of the article. So I agree with you, fake news.

Absolutely fake news. The US Defense Department  (no idea why it was them) stated that being inside an aircraft was one of the safest interior places to be, thanks to air filtration systems, and the fact that people, during the flight, are not facing  each other.  

There is no way,  given the incubation period of the virus, that one person can specifically state the exact location that the virus was contracted. 

• Like 2

Thankfully the CDC has lifted the no sail order.  The cruise lines have a chance to put their safety protocols into practice.  I am hopeful that we will be seeing the ships sailing with paying customers sooner than later.  We have 3 sailings booked for next year.  I know there will be some restrictions with masks and social distancing, but we are ready and willing to be on a ship even with the new rules.  I have faith that the cruise lines will do everything they can to prevent the spread of COVID as much, if not better, than land based locations.  

11 hours ago, DublinFC said:

Thankfully the CDC has lifted the no sail order.  The cruise lines have a chance to put their safety protocols into practice.  I am hopeful that we will be seeing the ships sailing with paying customers sooner than later.  We have 3 sailings booked for next year.  I know there will be some restrictions with masks and social distancing, but we are ready and willing to be on a ship even with the new rules.  I have faith that the cruise lines will do everything they can to prevent the spread of COVID as much, if not better, than land based locations.  

I really hope cruising starts sooner than later!  Because of risk factors I can't be one of the guinea pigs (I've already had Covid on a ship and lived to tell about it and so I'm not taking any chances!)  I told myself I need to see at least six months of cruising with no incidents before I get back on a ship - and I have the Haven booked to Bermuda in April.  So let's go, people!! 😀👍  We have no idea if any of the new protocols are going to work unless we can get people on the ships and get them moving so I say the sooner the better! (Just not with me lol)

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 4:57 PM, goldmom said:

While that is most likely true to some extent.  I also think that part of the reason people aren't posting as much as there just isn't that much to discuss with cruises not sailing.

Normally there would be reviews, questions about cabins, talking about dining, shore excursions, etc.  While I realize that there are bigger problems right now than when cruising will start up again, I do miss cruising and dream of a time when I'll be on a ship again even if there are restrictions.

Stay healthy everyone and hope for an end to this soon!

Yeah....there isn't much to discuss since there are no cruises happening (at least out of North America).  I that will pick up once ships are sailing, again.  Just chatting with the folks I've become friends with while cruising, I believe there is a lot of pent up demand.  We're all chomping at the bit.

That said, I don't think ships will return to sailing until Q2 2021.  I'm looking at some of those cruises now.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

I really hope cruising starts sooner than later!  Because of risk factors I can't be one of the guinea pigs (I've already had Covid on a ship and lived to tell about it and so I'm not taking any chances!)  I told myself I need to see at least six months of cruising with no incidents before I get back on a ship - and I have the Haven booked to Bermuda in April.  So let's go, people!! 😀👍  We have no idea if any of the new protocols are going to work unless we can get people on the ships and get them moving so I say the sooner the better! (Just not with me lol)

Personally, I think if given the opportunity I think I would go on a test sailing.  Now would my wife be alright with that??  Hahaha probably not.  Anyway, still looking forward to when we are on a ship again enjoying the cruise life!

• Like 1