The Daily for Wednesday Oct 28, 2020 (2nd Posting)

richwmn

11 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We saw some trumpeter swans yesterday,  it that what yours are?  

FAC3549F-90ED-46C4-BED3-037CB2270791.jpeg

FC122968-CC92-4888-8455-B57B2C02A2F5.jpeg

I am not sure, they could be Tundra Swans since one of the "adults" had the characteristic yellow patch on the bill by its eye. The other did not as far as I could tell. The two birds seemed to be about the same size. Trumpeters are supposed to be larger than Tundra Swans. Both species are often seen together in the fall in MN. 

• Like 5

Most of my photos from my visit will be from the 2003 trip will be from that trip a couple from my 2015 visit on the Prinsendam will be included.  I’m actually having difficulty identifying the photos by location so they will mostly be just photos.  The full day in St. Petersburg included a tour of the Hermitage, and the next day I was due to travel to Peterhov, I think a place at a higher elevation which was colder.

wrld1730.thumb.jpg.484104941d1641603c5a511ab29a3c1c.jpg

wrld1770.thumb.jpg.4018aed1834a39c008d8eb1ecd3ed45c.jpg

wrld1780.thumb.jpg.37755adf20aae7e08f321f6cad3331a7.jpg

wrld1810.thumb.jpg.601f449466891c6711fa716b3354ccb7.jpg

My second morning on my Prinsemdam we took a brief tour on St. Petersburg’s subway system.  The passages are deep underground and the escalators to get to them are LONG and FAST:

metro2.jpg

Depending on the time and direction, the cars vary from fairly civilized:

metro3.jpg

to very crowded in the opposite direction:

metro8.jpg

Some of the spaces are quite well decorated:

metro6.jpg

I ventured onto the Subway on my own my second night in St. Petersburg.  It’s one thing not to speak the language, but not understanding the character set is much more daunting.  As I entered the subway I took a photo of the map showing my station of entry to help me navigate my way back to the hotel.

wrld1690.thumb.jpg.e5e90616fdb642ec3817a99c6d6b5edc.jpg

I’m also including a picture of my room in St. Petersburg:

wrld1720.thumb.jpg.e031f15089b25d0ddc717ce3362e7766.jpg

At the end of the second day in St. Petersburg Olga took me to my overnight train to Moscow.  The sleeping cars are divided into 2-berth compartments with tickets sold by the berth.  I ended up sharing that berth with a woman.

Roy

• Like 13

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Ann, did it work for you to go to Mass yesterday?

Roy

Roy, we were disappointed that the two greeter/ushers and the two of us were the only ones wearing masks.  I emailed Father H. later and said we hoped more would follow the Bishop’s and the Provincial Medical Officer’s recommendation .  He replied that he wished there were a mandate, but that he would mention it.  We’ll see what happens next week.  Things are pretty good here right now, very few cases on the island, anyway, but it could spike at any time.  I think we will plan to start staying home if people continue as they are.  It’s too bad, but I am risk adverse!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I finally remembered to snap a pic of my Pink Mulhy Grass in bloom. Sadly the vibrant pink has faded a bit, but you get the idea!

4DD40BF1-C4FD-4FEF-A716-0B965984891C.jpeg

581987E4-16C8-4CB9-811F-B87F9F999D8E.jpeg

Wow, that is really pretty!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Roy, we were disappointed that the two greeter/ushers and the two of us were the only ones wearing masks.  I emailed Father H. later and said we hoped more would follow the Bishop’s and the Provincial Medical Officer’s recommendation .  He replied that he wished there were a mandate, but that he would mention it.  We’ll see what happens next week.  Things are pretty good here right now, very few cases on the island, anyway, but it could spike at any time.  I think we will plan to start staying home if people continue as they are.  It’s too bad, but I am risk adverse!

Thank you.  That is a shame.  I would think that the church would have the power to comply as a condition of entering the church, even Walmart is doing that.  My church will be worshiping online at least through the end of the year.

Roy

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Wow.  I am surprised.  That is definitely disappointing.  Here, all our churches require masks.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Most of my photos from my visit will be from the 2003 trip will be from that trip a couple from my 2015 visit on the Prinsendam will be included.  I’m actually having difficulty identifying the photos by location so they will mostly be just photos.  The full day in St. Petersburg included a tour of the Hermitage, and the next day I was due to travel to Peterhov, I think a place at a higher elevation which was colder.

wrld1730.thumb.jpg.484104941d1641603c5a511ab29a3c1c.jpg

wrld1770.thumb.jpg.4018aed1834a39c008d8eb1ecd3ed45c.jpg

wrld1780.thumb.jpg.37755adf20aae7e08f321f6cad3331a7.jpg

wrld1810.thumb.jpg.601f449466891c6711fa716b3354ccb7.jpg

My second morning on my Prinsemdam we took a brief tour on St. Petersburg’s subway system.  The passages are deep underground and the escalators to get to them are LONG and FAST:

metro2.jpg

Depending on the time and direction, the cars vary from fairly civilized:

metro3.jpg

to very crowded in the opposite direction:

metro8.jpg

Some of the spaces are quite well decorated:

metro6.jpg

I ventured onto the Subway on my own my second night in St. Petersburg.  It’s one thing not to speak the language, but not understanding the character set is much more daunting.  As I entered the subway I took a photo of the map showing my station of entry to help me navigate my way back to the hotel.

wrld1690.thumb.jpg.e5e90616fdb642ec3817a99c6d6b5edc.jpg

I’m also including a picture of my room in St. Petersburg:

wrld1720.thumb.jpg.e031f15089b25d0ddc717ce3362e7766.jpg

At the end of the second day in St. Petersburg Olga took me to my overnight train to Moscow.  The sleeping cars are divided into 2-berth compartments with tickets sold by the berth.  I ended up sharing that berth with a woman.

Roy

🌺Enjoying the pictures Roy! I would’ve never ventured on my own on the subway! You are more adventurous then us LOL! I can only say ILOVE YOU in Russian and pass me the butter! LOL!!! For such a huge hotel I see a fan in your room so I guess no air conditioning! Look forward to your next series! Love to see your berth on the train👍

Denise😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the updates and daily news from everyone.  I will join the group who think everyday should be chocolate day.  We have a piece of dark chocolate every evening while sipping our wine!  
Appreciate all the cruise pictures. 
Bagged up fallen leaves this afternoon.   I hope easier now than after the rains start.  Trimmed some flowers.  Beginnings of preparing things for winter.   A few more days and it will be November! Where does time go!   Have a great evening everyone.  Prayers for  in the paste of fires and hurricanes.  Stay safe! 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Oh, dear. I'm so sorry, Ann. Here masks are mandated in all mainstream churches. In July, I took DH to a service at a church not his usual. I was upset because the priest told the congregation that they could remove their masks, but shhhh! don't tell anyone that he said it. And the congregation were pretty much all elderly (as was the priest). I told DH that he would miss church if we can't get a spot at his regular church.

• Like 2