Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

On 3/25/2021 at 6:57 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

Well, that tops your virtual cruise to Hawaii.  Glad he arrived healthy and safe.  Congratulations to both parents/grand parents.  Are you living close enough to run over and give the parents a much needed break?

Ellie broke the internet with this announcement.  I tried to edit this post and could not get back in.

e komo mai keiki (Welcome little one)

Thank you, cr9tiv1.

We live about 30 miles away so can drive over in about 45 minutes. We have done a lot of baby cuddling, and have been able to help with chores around the house, too. 

Thank you for the Hawaiian welcome to our little grandson. It sounds so beautiful. 

On 3/25/2021 at 12:04 PM, AF-1 said:

Wow a grandbaby that you get to spoil.  All the best to the new mom and new grandparents.  Cheers

Thank you, AF-1.

You can rest assured that a whole lot of spoiling is going on! 😉

On 3/25/2021 at 3:34 PM, barbpretz said:

Wonderful news, Ellie!  Will we get to see pictures of grand baby at some point?

Thank you, barbpretz. 

We are so thrilled, and yes, here is another picture of the little man. 

I hope Cruise Critic will forgive me this deviation from cruising! 😊

One week old. 

A19085C4-3586-45B5-9234-03F3F9472A4B.thumb.jpeg.bd77b10c6a094baa1ae0fe8864f946c1.jpeg

• Like 4

On 3/25/2021 at 9:01 PM, PurpleTraveller said:

Congratulations to you and all your family on the arrival of your grandson! Such lovely news. 💐

Thank you PurpleTraveller. 

We are over the moon! 😃

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

Have you had an update on whether you actually received the real vaccine or the placebo?

Sadly I got the placebo but my DH got the actual vaccine.  They encouraged me to go ahead and get one of the approved vaccines so almost two weeks ago I got injected with Moderna.  We are both still in the study and nothing has changed even though we are unblinded.

And thank you for sharing the picture of your beautiful grandson.  Keep enjoying him and we can stay on the beach for a lot longer!

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Sadly I got the placebo but my DH got the actual vaccine.  They encouraged me to go ahead and get one of the approved vaccines so almost two weeks ago I got injected with Moderna.  We are both still in the study and nothing has changed even though we are unblinded.

Another slight deviation...what does it mean to be in the study now that the trials are over?  Are they monitoring you?  Will we really know how long the vaccine will be good for?  I know this is all so new and there are still more unanswered questions than there are solutions.  Thanks for your insights.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Another slight deviation...what does it mean to be in the study now that the trials are over?  Are they monitoring you?  Will we really know how long the vaccine will be good for?  I know this is all so new and there are still more unanswered questions than there are solutions.  Thanks for your insights.

Sure!  We just had our 180 day visit last week (our 7th visit to the clinic) and have two more visits to go at 360 days and 730 days.  Those are measured after the first dosage so they are effectively following us for two years.  At each visit they draw blood and do a nasal adsorption test which is another way of testing for antibodies.  And each week we have to answer questions about any Covid symptoms we may be experiencing with a reminder to contact them immediately if we do have any of those symptoms for a specified time frame.

As for what they are doing with our data, they will analyze how effective their vaccine is in preventing Covid vs. those in the placebo group and for the former, how long the antibodies last.  I am sure that with many in the placebo group now getting a competitor's vaccine they will be able to study those results against their vaccine.  The doctor we spoke to at our last visit indicated they are looking at everything imaginable.  And I said that as long as I am useful to them I will stay in the study.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Thank you very much for your kind wishes, Westaussie.

We had a long chat with our Australian friends who we met on Majestic Princess, and it seems that things are very much back to normal in Australia. 

We just can’t wait for the opportunity to revisit this wonderful country and hope that we are not too decrepit by the time all the restrictions are lifted! 🤣

What a beautiful baby!

Yes, life has been pretty 'normal' especially here in the West.  It will be a long time till our international borders are open again but I do hope you get the opportunity to return here some time in the future!

• Thanks 1

Congratulations!

What an absolutely beautiful little man!

Nothing better than watching our babies have babies of their own and the wonderful parents they become!  
So happy everything turned out so fantastic!

• Thanks 1

Thanks azbirdmom for your detailed description.  I am hoping "they" will update their time line.  Right now, it's 6 months.  By the time the rest of the world is ready for vaccinated travelers, mine will have expired (February).  It would be nice if the vaccine proves to be effective for at least a year.  Hope they are working on a booster shot too.

• Like 1

Oh Ellie,

Thomas is such a beautiful little one!  Good to know he and his parents live close enough that you can visit often, Babies grow and change so quickly... and this way you won't miss all the wonderful changes.

Being left on the beach, as you went home for the arrival of your grandson, isn't so bad. It is much nicer than being at home where Wave 3 of this pandemic has put us back in shutdown! Good thing I brought lots of sunscreen🤣 

Gail

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thanks azbirdmom for your detailed description.  I am hoping "they" will update their time line.  Right now, it's 6 months.  By the time the rest of the world is ready for vaccinated travelers, mine will have expired (February).  It would be nice if the vaccine proves to be effective for at least a year.  Hope they are working on a booster shot too.

Yes it's 6 months based on the data they have reviewed thus far.  Fingers crossed that subsequent data will reveal that the vaccines are longer lasting but this is all so new that it's anyone's guess at this point.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

And thank you for sharing the picture of your beautiful grandson.  Keep enjoying him and we can stay on the beach for a lot longer!

Thank you, azbirdmom for your update on the AZ vaccine. I am pleased to hear that you have been given the Moderna vaccine, and that you will continue with the study. It is so important for as much information as possible to be gathered for this new vaccine. We are grateful to both you and your husband for joining the trial. 

Glad you enjoyed seeing our little grandson. We are, I’m afraid, utterly besotted! 

Just be careful to stay out of the midday sun on the beach.......😉

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Sure!  We just had our 180 day visit last week (our 7th visit to the clinic) and have two more visits to go at 360 days and 730 days.  Those are measured after the first dosage so they are effectively following us for two years.  At each visit they draw blood and do a nasal adsorption test which is another way of testing for antibodies.  And each week we have to answer questions about any Covid symptoms we may be experiencing with a reminder to contact them immediately if we do have any of those symptoms for a specified time frame.

As for what they are doing with our data, they will analyze how effective their vaccine is in preventing Covid vs. those in the placebo group and for the former, how long the antibodies last.  I am sure that with many in the placebo group now getting a competitor's vaccine they will be able to study those results against their vaccine.  The doctor we spoke to at our last visit indicated they are looking at everything imaginable.  And I said that as long as I am useful to them I will stay in the study.

It is good to hear that you are going to stay in the study. It will, I am sure, enable us to get a clearer picture of the long-term benefits of the vaccine. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Westaussie said:

What a beautiful baby!

Yes, life has been pretty 'normal' especially here in the West.  It will be a long time till our international borders are open again but I do hope you get the opportunity to return here some time in the future!

Thank you, Westaussie, we think so, but of course we are rather biased...🤣

We can’t wait to explore a little more of Australia, and especially to revisit the Blue Mountains, which I hope are beginning to recover from the devastating fires. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ROWSE said:

Congratulations!

What an absolutely beautiful little man!

Nothing better than watching our babies have babies of their own and the wonderful parents they become!  
So happy everything turned out so fantastic!

Thank you, ROWSE, we think so too. But all babies are gorgeous aren’t they?

It is actually an incredible feeling to witness your child becoming a mother themselves. 

6 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Yes it's 6 months based on the data they have reviewed thus far.  Fingers crossed that subsequent data will reveal that the vaccines are longer lasting but this is all so new that it's anyone's guess at this point.

It is sad that the vaccine is getting so much bad press, even from Dr Faucci. It is all too easy to forget that for some of the less wealthy countries this may be the only vaccine they can afford, and its minuscule risk of blood clots is nothing compared to the risk of getting Covid, and these risks are outweighed by the enormous benefits of the vaccine in preventing many deaths. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruzinNoony said:

Thanks for posting pictures of little Thomas.  What a beautiful baby boy!  He changed quite a bit in just a week.  Such a cutie!!

They grow up way too fast. I just love them when they are tiny and all scrunched up. I know it won’t be long before he ‘uncurls’ and then in a heartbeat he will be walking and talking and going to school. So we must treasure every precious moment we spend with him.