Fresh Oysters Offered at sea

canoncruiser

Hi all,

There were discussions awhile back about whether fresh oyster were offered during voyages. Well, two menus from Titanic and also menus from Hamburg Amerika of the same period indicate that fresh oysters were on offer to First Class passengers during crossings. Very fresh mollusks that were kept on ice would have lasted for most the TransAtlantic crossings-I think; and there was excellent mechanical refrigeration by that time.   😋

A few years ago, en route to A Coruna, a group of 6 of us were chatting to Commodore Rynd and the subject of oysters came up. Christopher recommended a particular restaurant that he told us has a daily delivery around midday. He arranged the booking for us and sure enough by 1:00 pm we had plenty of fresh oysters.

Cunard's agent even turned up to ensure that everything was in order.

• Like 1

Not likely that today one would be able to get fresh oysters on board.  Unfortunately QM2 cannot send somebody to the Fulton Fish Market to pick up a case anymore than they could pick up some fresh melons from a Brooklyn farmer's market.  Perhaps upscale market small ships can manage a delivery but large ships have to maintain a documented chain of custody for every provision coming on board.  I'm afraid some things have gone the way of Bon Voyage parties. 

Can I mention that anyone booked on a Round UK cruise (Queen Victoria in 2021) that's arriving in Edinburgh (Newhaven Harbour), this would be perfectly possible (and has been done by other cruise lines at both this anchorage and the adjoining port of Leith).   Tenders arrive into the harbour where oysters, langoustines and lobster are landed at the adjacent fish market.   

18 minutes ago, safarigal said:

it does sound like they could do it 🙂

Of course they could. Eg. Hapag-Lloyd serves fresh oysters on the Europa and the Europa 2.

For Cunard, I remember oysters rockefeller but not raw ones.

• Like 1

I suspect that, maybe, if you travel in QG a lot and try and arrange it before boarding, perhaps on your previous voyage, whether they would be able to source them for you through Soton. After all, they arranged a sucking pig for a neighbouring table of Thais, which must have been a special arrangement.

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, godfreyb said:

And very thrilling it is too!

You either 'get' oysters or you don't - guess you either don't or have never tried them!

I would like to describe myself to be a gourmet. Having tried fresh oysters without being "thrilled" 

I still am.

11 hours ago, Cats2010 said:

Honestly, I never understood what is so delicious about oysters ... sea salt? Can someone explain what I am missing? You swallow something that is still alive.

As a retired owner of a 'Seafood' restaurant - as opposed to a 'Fish n Chip' shop' -  I share with my friend Rick Stein a well known trade expression..." For the real taste of the sea look no further than Oysters and Crab"

RH_FRONT_edited-1.thumb.jpg.bd16603edd5001620cf3db28ee01eaaf.jpg

On 10/31/2020 at 8:16 AM, BigMac1953 said:

A few years ago, en route to A Coruna, a group of 6 of us were chatting to Commodore Rynd and the subject of oysters came up. Christopher recommended a particular restaurant that he told us has a daily delivery around midday. He arranged the booking for us and sure enough by 1:00 pm we had plenty of fresh oysters.

Cunard's agent even turned up to ensure that everything was in order.

And similarly in the oft visited Vigo Stewart. 

It never ceased to amaze me watching passengers racing back on board for lunch when there. on their doorstep, was crustacean heaven. 😂

3 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

As a retired owner of a 'Seafood' restaurant - as opposed to a 'Fish n Chip' shop' -  I share with my friend Rick Stein a well known trade expression..." For the real taste of the sea look no further than Oysters and Crab"

RH_FRONT_edited-1.thumb.jpg.bd16603edd5001620cf3db28ee01eaaf.jpg

Your shop, Sir Richard? Looks good. In oz oyster kilpatrick are popular and my favourite, oysters in the shell, topped with Worcester sauce, diced bacon and grilled. Lubbly Jubbly.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Cats2010 said:

I love seafood in general but can do without raw oysters. Worcester sauce, bacon etc. kill the "taste" in my opinion.

You would love oysters kilpatrick, one can still taste the sea. We have big oysters.

th.jpg

• Like 2

Oysters are a matter of taste - a bit of the sea - but they still do not appeal to me the way cherrystone clams do.  But on topic:  they last very well on ice, so they could be served on board many days after loading.  

Makes me think of the Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station in New York - one of the best unrecognized seafood spots in the city. In season (traditionally months with an “R”) there will be twenty-plus varieties to choose among - try the Wellfleets..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Oysters are a matter of taste - a bit of the sea - but they still do not appeal to me the way cherrystone clams do.  But on topic:  they last very well on ice, so they could be served on board many days after loading.  

Makes me think of the Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station in New York - one of the best unrecognized seafood spots in the city. In season (traditionally months with an “R”) there will be twenty-plus varieties to choose among - try the Wellfleets..

I will try the Wellfleets, thank you and, as everybody else, I am waiting for the end of all this. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

On 11/21/2020 at 9:16 PM, navybankerteacher said:

My Mouth is literally watering at the mention of the Oyster Bar, I have never been to NYC with out a visit. They always had an excellent selection. Alas, I probably won't see it again, but we have excellent oysters here on the Gulf Coast, Gulf oysters, Hama Hama and others. It's only an airline flight away. And no masks for the little oysters.

7 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

My Mouth is literally watering at the mention of the Oyster Bar, I have never been to NYC with out a visit. They always had an excellent selection. Alas, I probably won't see it again, but we have excellent oysters here on the Gulf Coast, Gulf oysters, Hama Hama and others. It's only an airline flight away. And no masks for the little oysters.

Dear Bigmike911,

Unfortunately Grand Central Oyster Bar is temporarily closed at this time and hope to reopen. It was our and my parents favorite lunch time after shopping. Hope it will  reopen for your pleasure.

Grand Central Oyster Bar temporarily closes again, citing downturn in business

Grand Central Oyster Bar first opened its doors in 1913, the same year that construction finished at Grand Central Terminal. More than a century later, an individual oyster may cost more than an all-you-can-eat oyster buffet at that time, but the iconic seafood remains one of the city’s best sources for fresh seafood. There is currently no time frame for the restaurant’s reopening, according to a spokesperson for the restaurant.

Printed 10-20-2020...

On 11/21/2020 at 12:31 AM, Cats2010 said:

I love seafood in general but can do without raw oysters. Worcester sauce, bacon etc. kill the "taste" in my opinion.

I've never seen them served that way. There's horseradish, Tabasco, etc but none of that is required.

22 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

I've never seen them served that way. There's horseradish, Tabasco, etc but none of that is required.

I like to dot them with tabasco, and then alternate between a cocktail sauce with a little horseradish in it and a Mignonette sauce. Oysters are pretty bland, but are lovely to eat. At least a dozen at a time.

On 11/20/2020 at 6:05 AM, Cats2010 said:

Honestly, I never understood what is so delicious about oysters ... sea salt? Can someone explain what I am missing? You swallow something that is still alive.

I believe they die as soon as the membrane attaching them to the shall is severed, so not quite alive. 😀