Princess Cruises extended pause anouncement

Just received this press release from Carnival Corp relevant to Princess cruises extending their pause in operations throughout March, 2021 for all cruises and until 1st November, 2021 for any cruise longer than 7 days which 'sails in or out of U.S. ports'. The full statement is at this link:

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/princess-cruises-extends-pause-global-ship-operations-2021

Princess Cruises Extends Pause of Global Ship Operations into 2021

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., Nov. 20, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- In response to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) "Framework for Conditional Sailing Order" pertaining to resumption of U.S. cruise operations, Princess Cruises is extending its pause in global operations to allow time for the estimated preparation needed for completing required activities prior to sailing and taking into consideration the temporary seven-day cap on itineraries that call at a U.S. port. The cruise operations impacted include the following:

• All cruises sailing through March 31, 2021
  • All cruises longer than seven days sailing in and out of United States ports through November 1, 2021

Additionally, due to the uncertainty about when international travel restrictions might be lifted, Princess Cruises is extending its pause in operations for cruises departing in and out of Japan through June 25, 2021.

53 minutes ago, NSWP said:

So global operations includes Austalia and NZ.👎

Not sure Les   as you notice a one liner about Japan.....

But I think they are mainly talking about as a response to the Coffee Donut Cake team....

I think sometimes  they forget about the other 50% of the market ( the non US one )

It is wait and see    with a coffee and a cake would be nice...  Don

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They've already cancelled cruises in our region until end of May 21 and there is nothing in that announcement to contradict that.

Yes, in fact that's contained in a link-within-the-link above!

Cancelled:

All Cruises Departing from Australia & New Zealand through May 31, 2021

View Details & List of Affected Cruises (PDF)

Given the situation is so dire in the US, and will be I imagine, for some time, it might be too big an ask to get ships to our region with a guaranteed healthy crew etc before the end of next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Looking like the 21/22 season before we see them back down this way......if then 😳

Hoping for that David...... Nov 2021 booked for going to NZ......... but i am giving it a 50-50 chance

2 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

All Cruises Departing from Australia & New Zealand through May 31, 2021

Given the situation is so dire in the US, and will be I imagine, for some time, it might be too big an ask to get ships to our region with a guaranteed healthy crew etc before the end of next year.

I couldn't really see Princess or other lines  starting though our winter  so they might as well cancelled until at least 31st August 2021

And totally agree with the dire situation (disaster) in the US   Cruising would be last on the list..

But having said that... a lot of Americans on the Princess Board....seemed to think cruising will be starting early next year for them......   what can one say....

Don

5 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Not necessarily. A lot of ships are in Asia, and many of the crew come from there. Senior officers mostly come from Europe and that could be a problem. Cruise directors tend to be British or US, and the entertainers are mostly from the American continent.

It will take a couple of months to crew a ship including quarantining before they board, and a decent time at sea, which would act as a double quarantine, before the ship arrived here. 

2 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

But having said that... a lot of Americans on the Princess Board....seemed to think cruising will be starting early next year for them......   what can one say....

Don

That's because too many Americans refuse to face up to facts: there is a pandemic, it's not just the flu, and it's out of control in their country. They think a vaccine will be ready soon and think that will solve the problem. Of course, it won't as many of them will refuse to be vaccinated.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Looking like the 21/22 season before we see them back down this way......if then 😳

Yes David, I agree, a major issue will be the ports on cruise itineraries, will they be open or not, that will have an impact as to whether a cruise proceeds.

Oh   I forgot to add   there are some Australians who think cruising it starting early next year as well

( actually   my relations sorry to say )   who have got cruises booked and of course they are going ....

or going to book the new cruises that will be coming out for mid year 2021

Maybe they live in another world......

Don

6 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Oh   I forgot to add   there are some Australians who think cruising it starting early next year as well

( actually   my relations sorry to say )   who have got cruises booked and of course they are going ....

Don

They are Dreamin' Don.   Living in Noddyland.

33 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I now know........  Noddyland is in rural victoria.........lol

I am not related to them......(   the trolls under the bridge told me  )     lol

Don

Family car Don? 😅

th (3).jpg

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

Don

I have just read my first library book on cruising - Cruise Passenger - since last March.  Does that mean I'm being optimistic about future cruising again or a dreamer?

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

Don

I guess we live in another world as well 🙂 , as we got two cruises booked for 2021.

Edited by Kiwi_cruiser

10 minutes ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

I guess we live in another world as well 🙂 , as we got two cruises booked for 2021.

We have got three cruises booked for 2021, but they are in the second half of the year - August, October and November. For quite a while now I have felt that we have a 50/50 chance of the August one going ahead, and a slightly better chance for the others. 🙂

This is from the Princess board listing all cancellations - note after the OP posted it was removed from the Princess website. 

The Trans-Pacific Coral Princess leaving Vancouver Sep 2021 has been cancelled according to this list. The first leg of this voyage 7 days to LAX is still available on the website.

The first Coral Princess cruise is due to leave Sydney 29 Oct 2021 a for 3 day cruise to Brisbane where is she homeported for the summer season.

pause-extension-mar-31-2021.pdf

Just now, Cruisegroover said:

This is from the Princess board listing all cancellations - note after the OP posted it was removed from the Princess website. 

The Trans-Pacific Coral Princess leaving Vancouver Sep 2021 has been cancelled according to this list. The first leg of this voyage 7 days to LAX is still available on the website.

The first Coral Princess cruise is due to leave Sydney 29 Oct 2021 a for 3 day cruise to Brisbane where is she homeported for the summer season.

pause-extension-mar-31-2021.pdfUnavailable

Maybe the Trans-Pacific in September was cancelled in accordance with the American CDC ruling that there should be no cruises longer than seven days that leave from or call into US ports. Maybe the Coral will sail to Australia without passengers.

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe the Trans-Pacific in September was cancelled in accordance with the American CDC ruling that there should be no cruises longer than seven days that leave from or call into US ports. Maybe the Coral will sail to Australia without passengers.

It might also be a requirement from our part of the world that the ship arrives with crew only. I doubt our borders will open to the US by September.

1 hour ago, Cruisegroover said:

pause-extension-mar-31-2021.pdfUnavailable

There is too much secrecy in the cruise industry.  They will be judged by passengers by not being up front about what is happening with future cruises.  

9 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

There is too much secrecy in the cruise industry.  They will be judged by passengers by not being up front about what is happening with future cruises.  

That's a bit unfair. I don't think any of them have crystal balls to see into the future. They can only see what is happening in the world as it happens and react accordingly. The only other option would be to be close down completely for the next two or so years to be safe, and by then they'll all be bankrupt. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It might also be a requirement from our part of the world that the ship arrives with crew only. I doubt our borders will open to the US by September.

There is a pdf link in that link within a link that I posted at the top that shows that the cruise prior to the one you mention (AKL to SYD) has been cancelled (6131B - 8 nights). So if it does manage to be leaving on the 29th Oct from Sydney, you're right that it must sail here without passengers. October isn't very far away in covid terms, even with a vaccine being rolled out. It'll take a while to get through the population.

Just think how much we'll value our cruising freedom though when we are able to get back to it!