Holland America and Princess both cancel through March 31st

BermudaBound2014

Will NCL follow?? Holland America and Princess Cruises (both part of CCL for those who may not know) have cancelled all sailings through March 31, 2021. But what is even more telling is that they are cancelling all cruises more than 7 days until November 1, 2021 if sailing from the USA. It appears as though CCL is not confident they can meet the CDC guidelines anytime soon. Of course, CCL does have the environmental issue to deal with too.

Holland America Statement:

image.png.c6af481f25dab90d44e47956dae3508c.png

Princess: 

The cruise operations impacted include the following:

• All cruises sailing through March 31, 2021
  • All cruises longer than seven days sailing in and out of United States ports through Nov 1, 2021

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23907-princess-cancels-all-cruises-through-march-2021.html

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23915-holland-america-cancels-cruises-through-march.html

26 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Will NCL follow?? Holland America and Princess Cruises (both part of CCL for those who may not know) have cancelled all sailings through March 31, 2021. But what is even more telling is that they are cancelling all cruises more than 7 days until November 1, 2021 if sailing from the USA. It appears as though CCL is not confident they can meet the CDC guidelines anytime soon. Of course, CCL does have the environmental issue to deal with too.

Princess: 

• All cruises longer than seven days sailing in and out of United States ports through Nov 1, 2021

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23907-princess-cancels-all-cruises-through-march-2021.html

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23915-holland-america-cancels-cruises-through-march.html

The cancellation of all USA cruises more than 7 days long until November 1, 2021 is not "telling". It's a direct requirement of the CDC Conditional Sail Order. Even if a cruise line got permission to resume US operations today under the CDC order their cruises would still be limited to 7 days or less in length through November 1, 2021 unless the CDC were to rescind or modify the order. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The cancellation of all USA cruises more than 7 days long until November 1, 2021 is not "telling". It's a direct requirement of the CDC Conditional Sail Order. Even if a cruise line got permission to resume US operations today under the CDC order their cruises would still be limited to 7 days or less in length through November 1, 2021 unless the CDC were to rescind or modify the order. 

I respectfully disagree. I understand that the 'no more than 7 day sailing' requirement was placed under the CDC Framework for Conditional Sailing released in early November. However; the cruise lines taking action to actually cancel cruises thru November 1, 2021 tells me that they believe the Framework will still be in place one year from now.

I suspect that many on CC believe(d) that the Framework would be lifted before November 2021, especially with the news released on Monday of a vaccine. The actions by HAL and Princess today tell me that these companies believe the Framework guidelines are here to stay (at least for the next 12 months). I hope I'm wrong.

44 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I respectfully disagree. I understand that the 'no more than 7 day sailing' requirement was placed under the CDC Framework for Conditional Sailing released in early November. However; the cruise lines taking action to actually cancel cruises thru November 1, 2021 tells me that they believe the Framework will still be in place one year from now.

I suspect that many on CC believe(d) that the Framework would be lifted before November 2021, especially with the news released on Monday of a vaccine. The actions by HAL and Princess today tell me that these companies believe the Framework guidelines are here to stay (at least for the next 12 months). I hope I'm wrong.

I honestly don't care that some posters here believed that the framework would be lifted before November, 2021.  That falls into the "wishful thinking" domain that we've seen on Cruise Critic month after month during the pandemic. While everyone can express their own opinions that doesn't make  their opinions fact. The fact is that the 7 day limitation and all other aspects of the Conditional Sail Order extend through November 1, 2021 unless modified by the CDC. I congratulate Holland America and Princess for being the first to do the right thing and cancel the longer cruises while other cruise lines are dragging their feet in an attempt to hold on to cruise payments as long as possible in order to maximize their cash on hand. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Will NCL follow?? Holland America and Princess Cruises (both part of CCL for those who may not know) have cancelled all sailings through March 31, 2021. 

Carnival Corp has already stated that its Carnival Cruise Lines brand will be the first to start up.  This is why you are seeing the other brands cancel through March.  Carnival Cruise Lines will test the waters first, and then the other brands will ramp-up.  

Of the NCLH portfolio of brands, I see NCL being the first to start-up, with short cruises to GSC and possibly other private destinations.  Hopefully before April.  It might take Oceania and Regent a bit longer if they follow the Carnival Corp. model.  

12 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Princess: 

That’s customer service, making a clear statement of fact. 
NCL will bumble around month by month cancelling, still taking bookings extracting money.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 12:01 PM, njhorseman said:

I honestly don't care that some posters here believed that the framework would be lifted before November, 2021.  That falls into the "wishful thinking" domain that we've seen on Cruise Critic month after month during the pandemic. While everyone can express their own opinions that doesn't make  their opinions fact. The fact is that the 7 day limitation and all other aspects of the Conditional Sail Order extend through November 1, 2021 unless modified by the CDC. I congratulate Holland America and Princess for being the first to do the right thing and cancel the longer cruises while other cruise lines are dragging their feet in an attempt to hold on to cruise payments as long as possible in order to maximize their cash on hand. 

Hi, I am trying to catch up. Do you have a link to the CDC where the limitation is stated?

We have a 9 day in late April and it is not coming up as a possible cruise that I could book when I log into my Latitudes Account. Although it still comes up if I search without logging in.  Thanks.    

28 minutes ago, oregonian123 said:

Hi, I am trying to catch up. Do you have a link to the CDC where the limitation is stated?

We have a 9 day in late April and it is not coming up as a possible cruise that I could book when I log into my Latitudes Account. Although it still comes up if I search without logging in.  Thanks.    

Here is the link.

When you read through you will understand why you will not be going on a 9 day cruise in April. And may not be going on any cruise anytime soon.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/CDC-Conditional-Sail-Order_10_30_2020-p.pdf

So to even keep a seven day calendar ships will have to be full cleaned, so will they reduce that to six days. 
Obviously if they employed more local staff at ports just for cleaning that would work, land based cleaning teams Covid-19 tested.

My opinion, it doesn't matter at all who did what to who.  It's the virus that is in control. And it continues to spiral out of control every time the restrictions are lifted, every time.  So until the vaccines are available in quantity to get this under control, you are not going to see any cruises operating, with an appearance of anything like we used to enjoy.  Basically, at the moment and into the unknown future, if you like cruising...and I sure do...you're screwed.  My opinion.  (And wishful thinking isn't going to change it).  

Edited by roger001

14 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Here is the link.

When you read through you will understand why you will not be going on a 9 day cruise in April. And may not be going on any cruise anytime soon.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/CDC-Conditional-Sail-Order_10_30_2020-p.pdf

Thank you. I understand it now!! Looks like 9 day Alaska in Sept won't happen either. 😶

Did a mock booking today for the 12 day Jan. 3rd 2021. they are still selling it. we are booked on the cruise. I know it will not happen. but, ncl waits until the last minute to cancel the cruises. The cruise is also $1,100 more for the inside room that we got.

41 minutes ago, linbobky said:

Did a mock booking today for the 12 day Jan. 3rd 2021. they are still selling it. we are booked on the cruise. I know it will not happen. but, ncl waits until the last minute to cancel the cruises. The cruise is also $1,100 more for the inside room that we got.

They should be ashamed for taking money for this, if they are.  That is only a little less than 6 weeks from now.. 

6 hours ago, roger001 said:

My opinion, it doesn't matter at all who did what to who.  It's the virus that is in control. And it continues to spiral out of control every time the restrictions are lifted, every time.  So until the vaccines are available in quantity to get this under control, you are not going to see any cruises operating, with an appearance of anything like we used to enjoy.  Basically, at the moment and into the unknown future, if you like cruising...and I sure do...you're screwed.  My opinion.  (And wishful thinking isn't going to change it).  

Thanks for saying this.  We love cruising too but will not cruise until we get vaccinated and the CDC requires all cruisers to be vaccinated as well as comply with things like masks, distancing, etc.  It will take most of 2021 to get large parts of the US population vaccinated no matter what anyone says.  PLUS, other countries have to let us port and debark, and our track record on Covid is not good.  

20 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

By the time the cruiselines can all comply fully with the CDC framework, won't the vaccine be pretty much out there, is it all time wasted?!

Yes, it is time wasted, because the cruisleines will not survive long enough to benefit from the vaccine or to fully comply with the CDC framework.