River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Still not working on Chrome on my phone... And I have to use Edge on my laptop. Interestingly, it's reverted to my ancient Google profile picture... That's me in Iceland, in about 2008!

My issues are now resolved.  New message in the green banner at the top:  they think they have solved the problems [which they created...]  They suggest clearing the cruise critic cookies if your usual browser still doesn't work.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Me too!  But my old one uploaded again.  I have forwarded your issue to the admins.

The rollout was the usual IT disaster [I think they're just trying to make government programs seem not so bad...] but the issues have been getting resolved as the day goes on.  At first I couldn't sign on with Safari on my computer or phone – found a workaround with Firefox on the computer, but no alternatives on an iPhone.  Now Safari works on both computer and phone.

As one who works in IT - regardless of how poorly and painful the roll out is, the end result is always considered a success by the powers to be.

25 minutes ago, Coral said:

As one who works in IT - regardless of how poorly and painful the roll out is, the end result is always considered a success by the powers to be.

That goes with "that isn't a bug, it's a feature!"  Even if it isn't what the end users wanted...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Me too!  But my old one uploaded again.  I have forwarded your issue to the admins.

Thank you. Perhaps a temporary thing then. For the time being I am content with looking at the river in Rhinau but may try and get that photo of Koblenz back.

I now also get a new login field, i.e. the pop-up looks different, but it works fine.

notamermaid

So today's update -- in the main the issues are resolved but some members are definitely having ongoing issues (mainly 2 types, the same loops of login/register from yesterday, or they are logged in but can't access roll calls -- which means they likely aren't being seen as logged in by the system).  The team continues to work on these issues -- if you are having these problems a couple of things members have reported working are:  1) log in on a different device, or 2) keep trying -- a few people have said they just kept trying and eventually it worked.

It is always good to see Rachel Stewart of Deutsche Welle doing another video of her adopted country. In September she started a road trip through Germany in four parts. The first leg took her to the North, a region you may not be so familiar with. Great fun and I have learnt some new things, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-AbtBU3WzE

notamermaid

On 11/2/2022 at 8:25 AM, notamermaid said:

Thank you. Perhaps a temporary thing then. For the time being I am content with looking at the river in Rhinau but may try and get that photo of Koblenz back.

I now also get a new login field, i.e. the pop-up looks different, but it works fine.

notamermaid

Try again with the photo.  Before this update anyone without a custom avatar had the first initial of their user name in a circle; after the update it was two initials [ironically calling most of the hosts 'HO,' which would be censored if done deliberately...] – but today it's back to one initial.  Maybe that means your old photo will now upload.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Try again with the photo.

Will do, thanks. Saw the "HO"... Was a bit surprised that for me it was not a "no" as in the avatar name but part of my real name so I rushed to find a replacement photo.

The new login pop-up still looks odd to me but is working fine.

notamermaid

On 11/1/2022 at 9:40 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

That goes with "that isn't a bug, it's a feature!"  Even if it isn't what the end users wanted...

When did the IT powers that be gave two $#|+§ about what the users want. 
I’m glad I was in Iceland not trying to get on while the “improvements” were being made.

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Okay are there rivers in Iceland? I don’t mean frozen ones. I was away as well in not such an exotic place so only caught the end of it.

Yes! Where do you think all that glacial melt and waterfalls go?😉

BTW they still hold a grudge about the 1939 and onward occupations and Cod Wars. 

Edited by CPT Trips

8 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Question: need to book flights from Boston to London.  Looking for a nonstop if possible.

How is British Air?  Decent, avoid at all costs, or no better or worse than anyone else?

We have travelled a lot lately on Noble Caledonia, a British cruise line that includes air from London to wherever the ship is.  The consensus of British passengers is that BA is 'avoid at all costs.'  I prefer Delta, especially if you can get on Virgin Atlantic planes – and I see that they have a couple of round trips daily from Boston to LHR.

• Thanks 1

Last time we flew long haul was just and I mean just before covid we landed at Heathrow on March 1st BA not a bad flight. Prior to covid I would have said BA all the way, don’t touch Virgin with a barge pole - last time I flew with them they said there cupboard was full so couldn’t hang my coat and Chris Ackabuse was sat behind me his laugh haunts me to this day. My best long haul was Singapore Airlines. 
I’ve flown cattle class and ha ha up in the bubble with more different airlines than I can name and regardless of anything it all comes down to the staff and their training. 
Good luck with your choice!

14 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Question: need to book flights from Boston to London.  Looking for a nonstop if possible.

How is British Air?  Decent, avoid at all costs, or no better or worse than anyone else?

BA from Boston to London (Heathrow) is OK.  We usually spring for Premium Economy since most flights are overnight (PE or Business, etc. will give you more comfort for sleeping).  

If you had said that you needed to change planes at London/Heathrow (to go elsewhere in Europe), I would have recommended avoiding Heathrow.  It is a huge airport, and it can be confusing to find another terminal. . 

It is an odd day today when you look at two countries in Europe and what went on there this morning. In the UK today is the culmination of the time of poppy wearing. I remember the first time I saw the poppies on clothes on British television and wondering what this is about. Reason is, we do not do this. 11 November is Remembrance Day in the UK (and many other countries) but in Germany we celebrate the Saint Martin with children going in processions with lanterns and singing at large bonfires, organized by the local authorities. We also open the Carnival season on 11 November at 11.11am, in some parts of the Rhineland a rather "loud" day.

I always think that when a traveller comes to Germany on 11 November for the first time he must think that we have gone bonkers.

Our remembrance day for the victims of violent conflicts is Volkstrauertag and is this coming Sunday: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkstrauertag

And of course there is the remembrance of the Night of Broken Glass from 9 to 10 November 1938 with annual gatherings at memorials and sites, often with rabbis attending. If you happen to walk past such a place in the next few days you may see fresh flowers and possibly a wreath.

November is our somber month but this year we still have more leaves on the trees than usual as there have been fewer storms and it is also mild. With Sunday of the Dead being early this year and the Christmas markets being set up already, it does not feel quite as "dark" as it normally does.

notamermaid

• Like 3

15 hours ago, notamermaid said:

In the UK today is the culmination of the time of poppy wearing. I remember the first time I saw the poppies on clothes on British television and wondering what this is about.

I'm not sure whether the UK does poppies for the same reason, but a Canadian, John McRae, wrote a poem during World War I called "In Flanders Fields", which here in Canada is always recited on Remembrance Day (November 11). The museum in Ypres is also called the In Flanders Fields museum.

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.
Edited by gnome12
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I'm not sure whether the UK does poppies for the same reason, but a Canadian, John McRae, wrote a poem during World War I called "In Flanders Fields", which here in Canada is always recited on Remembrance Day (November 11). The museum in Ypres is also called the In Flanders Fields museum.

Yes, that is the connection apparently: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_poppy

notamermaid

• Like 1