Can You Think of a Reason not to Book a Regent Cruise?

ChucktownSteve

There are two main differences between Regent and Silversea that stand out to us. First, Silversea ships are  smaller and carry a proportionately smaller number of guests. Second, dress codes on Regent tend to be casual. Silversea includes some real formal nights. 

13 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Something geared to the 30 and 40 yr old crowd.....we do exist and we will be the next generation of Regent's bread and butter. I was thinking of something that would appeal to us AND have crossover appeal so as not to put off older clients.

With all due respect, you may be potential bread and butter, but Regent is wise to care for its current bread and butter such as Baby Boomers.  A bird in the hand and all that.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I thought I was very clear...."AND have crossover appeal so as not to put off older clients."

But with over 400 nights, I am also "current " bread and butter I guess.....although I like PB&J better.

😃

I am one of those older guest guest (pre baby boomer) and I think what you suggest sounds good. Especially more music ( live music choices ) through out the evening in the bars/lounges and movies on something larger than the TV. I do plenty of TV at home. We no longer dance much but like watching others dance and enjoy bar/lounge singers what mix with the guest some.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, cwn said:

I am one of those older guest guest (pre baby boomer) and I think what you suggest sounds good. Especially more music ( live music choices ) through out the evening in the bars/lounges and movies on something larger than the TV. I do plenty of TV at home. We no longer dance much but like watching others dance and enjoy bar/lounge singers what mix with the guest some.

After the past 10 months, I'd be happy to never see TV again. Live music throughout the evening, a piano bar (not just as background music, but more participatory), evening games, more active excursion choices would appeal not only to a younger clientele but some of us older ones as well.

• Like 2

Our first European cruise was with Regent and we loved it. The ease of the shore excursions made it a good first choice. But...we then decided we needed more variety and adventure in our tours and became loyal Azamara cruisers where we booked our own with local tours and fellow cruisers. We are looking at Regent for a 2022 Baltic cruise. Their extensive experience with land excursions make me feel it might be safer in this time  of Covid. So what moved us away may be what sends us back! Also shore excursions in Alaska (and the Baltic!) are expensive so that helps with the cost analysis. 

Ah, yes, we have no idea what activities may be added or deleted when Regent cruises again. One reason we are not booking at this time, and won’t until we can know better about what we are buying. One thing we are curious about is the CDC requirement that all crew members be given a private room with bath. We read that NCLH was chastised by the CDC for failure to comply with this order several months ago on repositioning with no guests. What will be done about this on future cruises? Will a vaccination certificate be required of guests at boarding? And there are more unanswered questions than there is room to list here. 

Also, my previous post about cruises costing an average of $1K pp/day was calculated by averaging prices in the ads we get about three times per week. There may well be better deals out there, but my statement was accurate according to these ads.

We watched a Regent webinar last night. They did talk about a slow roll out to get back, maybe one ship a month. All crew need vaccinations and extensive training. There will be more medical staff and an unsold block of rooms that could serve as a quarantine area. They didn’t address guest vaccinations. They claimed their 2022 bookings were way above previous years. They have sold out their around the world cruise to exclusively people booking the entire cruise. Usually many segments are sold separately to fill the ship.  But I agree...so many questions still! 

2 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Ah, yes, we have no idea what activities may be added or deleted when Regent cruises again. One reason we are not booking at this time, and won’t until we can know better about what we are buying. One thing we are curious about is the CDC requirement that all crew members be given a private room with bath. We read that NCLH was chastised by the CDC for failure to comply with this order several months ago on repositioning with no guests. What will be done about this on future cruises? Will a vaccination certificate be required of guests at boarding? And there are more unanswered questions than there is room to list here. 

Also, my previous post about cruises costing an average of $1K pp/day was calculated by averaging prices in the ads we get about three times per week. There may well be better deals out there, but my statement was accurate according to these ads.

The cruise lines are not going to retrofit crew cabins - they will sail in Europe instead.

Also, if you hit <CTRL> <B> it will fix your keyboard.

• Like 1

I have seen the cost per person per day for Regents vary significantly based on which ports and how many ports the itinerary takes you and where the cruise starts and ends.

We have had a cruise between $500-600/person/day and others reaching $1000/person/day.  I can see what is the cause for this when I compare itineraries.  And for us the $1000/person/day is worth it.  One of our future booked cruises, with before and after land tours, is reaching the $1000 level and worth it to us.  Now if our cruises just happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mj_holiday said:

I have seen the cost per person per day for Regents vary significantly based on which ports and how many ports the itinerary takes you and where the cruise starts and ends.

We have had a cruise between $500-600/person/day and others reaching $1000/person/day.  I can see what is the cause for this when I compare itineraries.  And for us the $1000/person/day is worth it.  One of our future booked cruises, with before and after land tours, is reaching the $1000 level and worth it to us.  Now if our cruises just happen.

at 1000 dollars per person per night, they should include unlimited spa treatments also.

Include everything available in the spa without any extra charge just like unlimited alcohol, Wi-Fi, photos and speciality dining

Edited by drsel

7 minutes ago, drsel said:

at 1000 dollars per person per night, they should include unlimited spa treatments also.

Include everything available in the spa without any extra charge just like unlimited alcohol, Wi-Fi, photos and speciality dining

Actually you do get that included and they'll even do almost all spa services in your room.  The catch is, you have to book the Regent Suite, which averages $10k per night.  

3 minutes ago, Snore42 said:

Actually you do get that included and they'll even do almost all spa services in your room.  The catch is, you have to book the Regent Suite, which averages $10k per night.  

Haha, they know how to milk the super rich.

4 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

For 10K a night, they would have to add additional service such as... going to work for me.

People who can afford a Regent Cruise don't have to go to work to earn money.

Money works for them!

Edited by drsel
  • Like 1

I used an iPad to post above. Since my vision is not what it used to be, I intentionally used the bold setting. Hope I’d didn’t offend. 

As far as the CDC  single room requirements for crew go, many of the cruises Regent is now advertised to us by mail involve US ports. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I used an iPad to post above. Since my vision is not what it used to be, I intentionally used the bold setting. Hope I’d didn’t offend. 

As far as the CDC  single room requirements for crew go, many of the cruises Regent is now advertised to us by mail involve US ports. 

No offense, just a little humor. Regent decided against providing single rooms for the crew due to cost and the expected temporary nature of the order. It was decided to sail outside the USA for the time being.  Please consider it my opinion, not fact.

14 minutes ago, Snore42 said:

If you can get the homework, car and dog onboard.  I'm sure the head butler assigned to the Regent Suite would take care of all of that for you! 

I can get the dog and the HW on board.....the car might be tough.

19 minutes ago, drsel said:

People who can afford a Regent Cruise don't have to go to work to earn money.

Money works for them!

We are retired and cruise on Regent 2-3 times a year. Yes, now our money works for us! 
Before we retired, we both worked hard for our money and did one cruise a year. 
I think you are being judgmental about Regent passengers. 
sheila

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, drsel said:

now we have to start a new thread--

"what are the reasons to justify spending 1000 dollars per person per night on a Regent Cruise?"

This doesn’t require a new thread for us....We do not spend 1000 dollars per person per night. Most people on Regent don’t either. 
I will guess you are not a Regent cruiser.