Can You Think of a Reason not to Book a Regent Cruise?

ChucktownSteve

50 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

We, too, have booked our first cruise on Regent having cruised mainly Celebrity over the last 10 years. The one thing I forgot to research is Regent's smoking policy. Can anyone enlighten me?

From Regency's FAQ on their web site.

For the comfort and safety of all of our Guests, smoking is not permitted in any enclosed dining area, certain public venues, elevators, the Theater, and all suites and balconies, and is only permitted in specific designated smoking areas. The use of electronic cigarettes is allowed within designated smoking areas only.

Cigarette smoking is only permitted in designated areas of the outdoor pool area and the following public rooms:
Seven Seas Explorer: Connoisseur Club, Pool area (designated area opposite side of the Pool Bar)
Seven Seas Voyager: Connoisseur Club, Horizon Lounge (outdoor one side designated area), Pool area (designated area opposite side of the Pool Bar)
Seven Seas Mariner: Connoisseur Club, Horizon Lounge (outdoor one side designated area), Pool area (designated area opposite side of the Pool Bar)
Seven Seas Navigator: Galileo's (outdoor one side designated area), Pool area (designated area opposite side of the Pool Bar)

Cigar Smoking is only permitted in the Connoisseur Club on applicable ships and the designated area on the opposite side of the Pool Bar.

Pipe smoking is only permitted in the Connoisseur Club. Pipe smoking in open deck areas is considered an extreme fire hazard and is not permitted.

Failure to comply with the above smoking policy will result in guests being asked to leave the ship at their expense, without refund or credit for the unused portion of their cruise.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

From Regency's FAQ on their web site.

Cigarette smoking is only permitted in designated areas of the outdoor pool area and the following public rooms:
Seven Seas Explorer: Connoisseur Club, Pool area (designated area opposite side of the Pool Bar)
Seven Seas Voyager: Connoisseur Club, Horizon Lounge (outdoor one side designated area), Pool area (designated area opposite side of the Pool Bar)

I haven't been on Voyager for years. Does anyone know whether, in its refurbishments, the pool-side smoking area was enclosed the way it is on Explorer?

Was not when on 2 years ago

my only fear for booking Regent now is it goes bust; as in UK we can't go anywhere and cruising is very unlikely for at least 6 months ; can any company survive 15 m0nths with no core activity- cruising and overheads and maintenance to pay. the restart costs to get the ships up to the standard we all knew will be enormous.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

“as in UK we can't go anywhere and cruising is very unlikely for at least 6 months”

Couldn’t agree more. We have 5 cases of Covid in our population of 60+ thousand, almost all of them found on testing on arrival. Today we have closed our borders again for all but essential travel i.e. medical travel to UK. We expect this to be sustained until March. 

Much as though I would dearly love to book now, with all of the offers available,  I’m afraid that I am too cautious and not a gambler. Here we enjoy life pretty much as normal, no masks, social distancing etc.. When cruising is almost normal then I’ll book. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

A depressing thought.

In the event that did occur we would recover any monies paid from our credit card.

My travel insurance covers insolvency. The policy states:

"Bankruptcy or Default means the total cessation of operations due to insolvency, with or without the filing of a bankruptcy petition by an airline, or cruise line, tour operator or other travel provided the bankruptcy or default occurs more than 14 days following Your Effective Date for the Trip Cancellation Benefits."

12 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Hey Guys

Cheer up. Many of us here in the US, over age 65, will probably receive vaccines by May or June, or even sooner. Canada and Europe will follow v
We are now planning for Our future!

sheila

Our first vaccine appointment is Jan 20 with second round Feb 19.  We feel fortunate. Hope y'all can follow soon. 

If they don't cancel our June cruise, we'll be ready.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Grandmaanne7:  It has been an interesting journey as to how the former Radisson--now Regent smoking policy evolved.  I would like to think constant pressure in the form of both mid-cruise and post-cruise evaluations from loyal clients such as my wife and I played a role.  Our experience(s) began about 24 years ago when on a Radisson Seven Seas 'Med cruise.  

Constant dealing with smoking fumes initiated from most general areas on the ship, or from an adjacent suite.  This was not a minor manner as both of us had (have) respiratory issues which do not tolerate first, second, or third-hand smoke.  Slowly, very-slowly, Regent implemented a policy giving passengers the option to request a non-smoking suite.  A baby, but important, step in the right direction.  

Slow evolution (much like the airlines) of policy announcement(s) and then real-real implementation of onboard restrictions.  About six years ago--onboard Navigator for a New England-Canadian Fall Foliage cruise.  The smoking protocol had evolved to include banning smoking in ALL suites/verandas as well as most common areas. 

Upon entering our Suite--noted strong smoke odor.  It appeared to come from the adjoining Suite and/or hallway.   Opened all exterior sliding doors to our balcony; and turned on the air conditioning full-blast.  About ten minutes of this cleared up the air.   We also notified our Suite Attendant who, in turn, notified the "Front Desk".  If this matter could not be addressed with the offender(s), then we requested a change of rooms.  Within a few minutes, a manager (cannot recall his title) arrived at our room.  He assured us proper action would be taken, as another couple occupying a nearby room had also experienced the same situation.   

Next morning:  when leaving our suite for breakfast, began detecting smoke odor.  Noted the door to the adjacent suite was open, as the attendant was inside.  Again, smoke odor wafting into the hallway (and probably shortly to invade our room) from that suite.  Back to the front desk.  

That afternoon, got telephone call from the same manager.   He advised the matter would not be repeated because--the offenders had, obviously disregarded the first, last, and ONLY warning he had given them the previous afternoon.   They were being "offloaded" from Navigator.   Now--that is what I term a timely and appropriate response.  

Bottom line:  It has been our experience when aboard every Regent ship (except Splendor) the restrictive smoking policy has been "embraced" by management and observed by us guests. 

As to Splendor: spouse and self were supposed to board this past March 14th at San Diego to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary on a cruise through the Panama Canal to Miami.  Nope.  When at Regent's assigned hotel on the 13th, got the word everything canceled.  Instead of next day's boarding, back to the airport on the 14th for return to Seattle and stay-at-home. 

We are hoping for a 2022 Splendor cruise.    

GOARMY!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sheila:  

We will check this 2023 possibility out with our TA early next week.  Still holding out hope (50-50) that our October-November 2021 Mariner Barcelona-Miami cruise will happen.  Am loosing count of number of cruises already canceled.  Latest: we canceled this April and May Explorer Tokyo to Vancouver BC segment.  Today Explorer should have been at Melbourne; instead--somewhere treading water in  the 'Med.  Only a matter of time until Regent makes that Tokyo cancelation official.  No vaccine; no cruising for us.  

Have rescheduled Tokyo for similar (but longer) Mariner April-May 2022 segment ending at San Francisco.  Reluctant to count on anything else cruisewise in 2021 pending obtaining the vaccine.

Stay safe. 

GOARMY!  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Many comments above have really been about problems affecting booking ANY cruise at this time. So back to the original question of whether there are any reasons specific to Regent to avoid booking it. The only Regent - specific reason is the price. We have been receiving Regent brochures about three times a week, including a large glossy catalog. From these ads, it appears that the average pp/per diem is $1K USD for the least expensive accommodations. I’m not saying that Regent cruises are not worth it, because they are. But the level of  cost may trouble some people, including those who can easily afford it.

Most of the Regent trips are roughly $1,000 and have been for some time. Exceptions are re-positioning cruises, some Navigator cruises, some Caribbean cruises, some transatlantic cruises, etc. If price is a major consideration than ask your TA to look into this type of cruise or find a TA that is known to give kickbacks to clients.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Many comments above have really been about problems affecting booking ANY cruise at this time. So back to the original question of whether there are any reasons specific to Regent to avoid booking it. The only Regent - specific reason is the price. We have been receiving Regent brochures about three times a week, including a large glossy catalog. From these ads, it appears that the average pp/per diem is $1K USD for the least expensive accommodations. I’m not saying that Regent cruises are not worth it, because they are. But the level of  cost may trouble some people, including those who can easily afford it.

We recently booked three Regent cruises within the last month or so.  The Alaska cruise is on the Mariner in Concierge E for $775pp/pd. The Concierge E Panama Canal cruise is on the Splendor for $603pp/pd. The Miami to Montreal Concierge D is on the Navigator for $493pp/pd.  They obviously all include the hotel stay etc.  I thought I upgraded at lease one to penthouse.  But I'm not easily fining that confirmation.  So I'm not seeing the $1K USD pp/pd you say they are.  There is the two category upgrade promotion going right now.

Plus our TA is giving us about a $1,500 cash rebate on each one.

I suppose when I've sailed all three cruises, I'll get a good feel for the different Regent ships and their differences. So looking forward to that!

Edited by ChucktownSteve

So back to the original question of whether there are any reasons specific to Regent to avoid booking it.

Here’s one more:  Regent is much less realistic or transparent than its competitors on potential restart dates.  Seeing all the Regent cruises that clearly won’t go but yet you can still book/pay for diminishes the brand in my eyes.  And when that cancellation occurs Regent seems more focused than their competitive set on making it into FCC (such as the issues I ran into in having a lift-and-shift convert cash payment into FCC).  

The only Regent - specific reason is the price.

We’ve chosen Seabourn and Crystal in the past because of feeling like Regent is more expensive without much difference in “Product” - yet I’m open to the idea (that some here have mentioned) that after experiencing Regent it would be hard to go back.  We’re looking forward to our first Regent cruise to judge for ourselves; to me it wouldn’t be a reason not to book - it’s potentially a reason not to book more than once 🙂 

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

As a sort of TA, I see no real difference in the transparency as none of them know whats going on. I think Regent is an easy win on service but sure wish there was more to do on-board for the younger clients. 

Serious question - just curious what you have in mind for younger clients "to do on board"?

7 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Serious question - just curious what you have in mind for younger clients "to do on board"?

Something geared to the 30 and 40 yr old crowd.....we do exist and we will be the next generation of Regent's bread and butter. I was thinking of something that would appeal to us AND have crossover appeal so as not to put off older clients.

Maybe more movies and live sports broadcasts. Faster internet. Some sort of entertainment extending later than 1100 or 1130. No full blown nightclub. Maybe mix in some better music on the pool deck. Nothing that would cost Regent a lot - the infrastructure is in place to handle all those things.

• Like 1

Still my concern re not booking Regent is it's survival in a format we will recognise !!

In Uk today talk is of all summer 2021 overseas travel as a tourist is maybe going to be cancelled and entry into UK and Europe requiring compulsary quarantine as your own expense so killing the  tourist industry. We are next due on in SF on 04/01/22, think that is a possible?

We have had five cruises canceled this year... another five still booked for the next two years. 
We are always hopeful that we will be able to sail in the near future. Fall of 2021 is our next hope. We have had the vaccine and 🤞we sail.
For those who say they won’t cruise for at least 18 months or so... if everyone felt that way, there would be no cruise lines that will survive. 
Let’s hope that ships are sailing by the end of this year.... otherwise, the cruise industry is doomed. Forget about it!

• Like 4

The posts immediately above are the reasons we are very hesitant to book ANY cruise on ANY line at this time. The protocols for cruising with paying guests are still up in the air. We can’t know the requirements and restrictions, because nobody knows. So we can’t know if we would enjoy a cruise under these, and feel safe (even though we will be fully vaccinated by then). And there is a concern about the financial stability of ALL lines. They may run out of money before revenues return. And even if they do return in time, will required measures and reduced guest capacity result in sufficient revenues?  Finally, will we be allowed to visit the itinerary ports? 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 12:37 AM, ChucktownSteve said:

Hi,  We've never sailed a luxury line
I've been trying to figure out which line to book; Regent or Silversea.  We do like the smaller, intimate ships.  I tend to look for value. We're leaning towards Regent because, while they're more expensive, it appears as if they may be a better overall value.

it's like trying to choose between Mercedes and BMW.

if you have the money to splurge,  then you should try them both!

• Like 2