Can You Think of a Reason not to Book a Regent Cruise?

ChucktownSteve

We certainly are Regent cruisers — since 2002 when it was Radisson. We have never paid $1K/pp/per day on one. I was merely referring to an approximate average cost of the 2021 and 2022 cruises advertised in the ads I get several times per week for the lowest category “suite”.  

Since the topic of this thread is the reasons NOT to book Regent now, we don’t feel that the advertised prices is off-topic.

I will help out...

The cruises in the brochures are generally cruises they are interested in selling, not necessarily ALL the cruises for sale. Most people get additional discounts off of those rates.

I would estimate that less than 20% of the trips I have booked are at or over $1,000 PP/PD with many being in the $600 - $800 range. My clients don't book above a butler suite but they book a lot.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 5:14 PM, moogwan said:

I would also like some new and different class offerings at the fitness center. They're always the same old thing. I keep asking for a kickboxing class (and I'm a 68 y.o. woman) but they say no. 🤨

I would also love Cardio and Zumba classes... and I am a 76 year old woman!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

We certainly are Regent cruisers — since 2002 when it was Radisson. We have never paid $1K/pp/per day on one. I was merely referring to an approximate average cost of the 2021 and 2022 cruises advertised in the ads I get several times per week for the lowest category “suite”.  

Since the topic of this thread is the reasons NOT to book Regent now, we don’t feel that the advertised prices is off-topic.

That's rack rate. People don't pay rack rate. It's always marked up to mark down. 

I asked the original question.  Thankx to the good responses, since then I've booked three Regent cruises (Concierge or Penthouse) and haven't come close to the $1,000pp/pd catalogue rate.  Apparently I didn't see justification not to book Regent.  😁

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

This doesn’t require a new thread for us....We do not spend 1000 dollars per person per night. Most people on Regent don’t either. 
I will guess you are not a Regent cruiser. 

So how would you justify spending USD 600-800 per person per night

14 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

That's rack rate. People don't pay rack rate. It's always marked up to mark down. 

I asked the original question.  Thankx to the good responses, since then I've booked three Regent cruises (Concierge or Penthouse) and haven't come close to the $1,000pp/pd catalogue rate.  Apparently I didn't see justification not to book Regent.  😁

No doubt that Regent is the best super luxury cruise line.

You are guaranteed a fabulous Cruise, which you will remember and cherish for a lifetime!

But are they justified in charging such high prices, with additional high charges for any spa treatment?

Just like some other luxuries in life, 50% better is 500% more expensive

Edited by drsel

1 hour ago, drsel said:

So how would you justify spending USD 600-800 per person per night

Because I can?

We have worked hard all our life. We've always lived below our means. I funded my retirement accounts to the fullest once I could.  I learned how to properly invest our assets . The investments have done extremely well; averaging over 10% gain per year since before 2008.  Now it's time to enjoy those rewards before I become "wheel chair regretful" that I wish I would've when I could've.

Besides we have no debt and no children. Why leave it all to nieces and nephews? There's enough to spend the up to $800 pp/pd if I want to and still leave plenty.  Thus I changed my spending paradym. It's time to enjoy life more.

We used to cruise Celebrity much more. When I recently compared them with Regent pricing, they wound up being as expensive or more so when all was factored in that we would've had to pay  for anyway.  But the mass market line, I feel, will never offer the service level or food quality that Regent does even though they started calling themselves luxury.  Putting lipstick on that pig won't make it more like Regent. We really enjoyed Azamara for their smaller ships, food and service. Therefore the progression was natural.

Is that enough justification for you? lol

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 9

50 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Because I can?

I absolutely  agree! Your money, you spend it as you like.

We are moving to Regent for the first time, not cruising till December 2022, but we have spent nothing on holidays recently, unlikely to go away this year, I had a big birthday in lockdown, my husband has had radiation treatment. We can justify the spend in so many ways.

No pockets in a shroud, spend and enjoy!

• Like 12

3 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

We used to cruise Celebrity much more. When I recently compared them with Regent pricing, they wound up being as expensive or more so when all was factored in that we would've had to pay  for anyway.  But the mass market line, I feel, will never offer the service level or food quality that Regent does even though they started calling themselves luxury. 

We were in the same situation, Celebrity cancelled my cruise on edge, in a suite, and wouldn't offer a swap to the unrenovated lesser infinity ship on a similar itinerary.  We did the math and Regent wasn't much more for what I suspect will be better service.  Done with Celebrity forever, I have 4 regent cruises booked.  As the quote goes from Pretty woman "Big Mistake.  Big.  Huge!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, drsel said:

No doubt that Regent is the best super luxury cruise line.

You are guaranteed a fabulous Cruise, which you will remember and cherish for a lifetime!

But are they justified in charging such high prices, with additional high charges for any spa treatment?

Just like some other luxuries in life, 50% better is 500% more expensive

Thankx for the positive vibes. 

Your comment about giving 50% better but charging such high prices at 500% more got me thinking.  So I added up the total booking costs for the three Regent concierge/penthouse suites, subtracted my TA's cash rebates and divided by the total number of nights also counting the included hotel stays. It came to only $489 pp/pd.  That's less than Celebrity is charging for their bottom suites on cruises now without the additional benefits that Regent includes.

• Like 1

What does that mean...are they justified? Why does any company need to justify their price? 
If you want something and are willing to pay the price, that’s the way capitalism works 

Again I ask, have you ever cruised on Regent? I don’t think so. If you have, you would not be asking such a question. 

32 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

We were in the same situation, Celebrity cancelled my cruise on edge, in a suite, and wouldn't offer a swap to the unrenovated lesser infinity ship on a similar itinerary.  We did the math and Regent wasn't much more for what I suspect will be better service.  Done with Celebrity forever, I have 4 regent cruises booked.  As the quote goes from Pretty woman "Big Mistake.  Big.  Huge!"

We had booked a Celebrity Edge S1 last June for Jan '21 that we lifted and shifted in December to Apex Feb '22 at the protected rate.  That cruise went from $361.71pp/pd to $774.61pp/pd if I had to book at the prevailing rate. Would not have kept the booking if I had to pay that.

I understand how you feel because I would have felt the same getting less for more $$$.  There are several cruisers that the XX company has chased up to better quality and value.

1 hour ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Thankx for the positive vibes. 

Your comment about giving 50% better but charging such high prices at 500% more got me thinking.  So I added up the total booking costs for the three Regent concierge/penthouse suites, subtracted my TA's cash rebates and divided by the total number of nights also counting the included hotel stays. It came to only $489 pp/pd.  That's less than Celebrity is charging for their bottom suites on cruises now without the additional benefits that Regent includes.

$489 per person per night for the world's best luxury line is certainly good value.

Your TA must be offering you around 10% of the base fare as a rebate

No doubt Celebrity has raised their prices significantly after covid.

they were excellent value uptil Feb 2020.

But at the same price point, Regent is the obvious choice.

Please also try the MSC yacht club.

Everyone is raving about it. It is absolutely amazing.

It is the best ship within a ship concept and provides outstanding value

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, drsel said:

We have tried MSC Yacht Club twice.  It's okay while you're inside the 'enclave' but for shows and such you will be with thousands of others.  We also noted a much lower level of service than we are accustomed to on Regent...and MSC DOES know the meaning of the word "no" unlike Regent where nearly anything is possible.  We also noticed a language barrier issue on both MSC ships we sailed.  And forget about special requests even in the YC dining room - one morning I asked for Egg Beaters or low-cholesterol egg substitute.  The response I got: "Oh, yes, Madam...we beat the eggs to make scrambled eggs." No such thing available as egg substitute on this line.  Small thing, but....

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, drsel said:

$489 per person per night for the world's best luxury line is certainly good value.

Your TA must be offering you around 10% of the base fare as a rebate

No doubt Celebrity has raised their prices significantly after covid.

they were excellent value uptil Feb 2020.

But at the same price point, Regent is the obvious choice.

We know you are a Celebrity cruiser. When will you try Regent?

Is this a valid reason not to book Regent?  We are huge Celebrity fans, mainly because of the very restricted smoking policy and the excellent service.  I have never had reason to complain about the food and have thoroughly enjoyed each cruise.  Lately, their itineraries are very blah and I started to look elsewhere.  We now have a December cruise booked on Regent at an astonishing price.  My fear is that we will be completely spoiled and not want to return to Celebrity or any other less expensive cruise line.  We certainly cannot afford to cruise Regent unless said astonishing price reappears.  This seems unlikely.  Are we making a mistake?

57 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

Is this a valid reason not to book Regent?  We are huge Celebrity fans, mainly because of the very restricted smoking policy and the excellent service.  I have never had reason to complain about the food and have thoroughly enjoyed each cruise.  Lately, their itineraries are very blah and I started to look elsewhere.  We now have a December cruise booked on Regent at an astonishing price.  My fear is that we will be completely spoiled and not want to return to Celebrity or any other less expensive cruise line.  We certainly cannot afford to cruise Regent unless said astonishing price reappears.  This seems unlikely.  Are we making a mistake?

No, go for it!  If you get spoiled, it was meant to be!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We know you are a Celebrity cruiser. When will you try Regent?

Certainly, when there is a last minute price drop. where would I find these price drops?

the site which ranks cruises by price per night, (including all port fees and taxes), does not include Regent

8 hours ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

Where did you find this astonishing price in December for Regent?

9 hours ago, drsel said:

Where did you find this astonishing price in December for Regent?

Believe it or not, it was a Canadian TA. That's a first for us. We usually have to go through US travel agencies to get a good deal. I have shopped around and cannot come anywhere close to the price we got (approximately 80% off brochure price).

19 hours ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

doing the same thing X has blah cookie cutter itineraries and while I never complained about the lumenae food and service in the suites, the customer service staff off board are horrible.  I found when you add it all up it doesn't cost that much more and the peace of mind using regents shore excursions is nice.  I haven't used the business class air as I have loads of AA miles, but the 2500 RT to europe and 7500 RT to New Zealand and Singapore is not a bad deal either.   There current 2 cat upgrade is a nice deal...  So I would say you are not making a mistake, you may get spoiled but you could always go back though I have a feeling I won't for several reasons. Enjoy

• Like 1

11 hours ago, drsel said:

Certainly, when there is a last minute price drop. where would I find these price drops?

the site which ranks cruises by price per night, (including all port fees and taxes), does not include Regent

We have a December cruise booked. Right now, you can do a two category upgrade. There are no price drops on Regent. But look for a special. This is good until 2/28/21. With that, you can enjoy Regent for approximately $500 per person, per night. This ship is almost sold out. 
sheila

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

Believe it or not, it was a Canadian TA. That's a first for us. We usually have to go through US travel agencies to get a good deal. I have shopped around and cannot come anywhere close to the price we got (approximately 80% off brochure price).

have you tried the bidding site, where many travel agents offer you lower and lower prices or more and more OBC?