MV Schiedyk

john2003

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Ouch.  I guess that does not make environmentalists happy.

It's not something that they tend to care, or even know about.  Since for the most part, these were acts of war, and the IMO's Nairobi Convention on Wreck Removal specifically removes liability of the owner if the wreck was an act of war, there is no one to "go after" for the environmentalists, so no "cause" and no money.   Sorry, a bit of cynicism there, regarding those who may actually care for the environment (and who look at these figures), and the "environmentalists" whose main agenda is headlines.

• Like 4

On 12/12/2020 at 1:34 PM, KirkNC said:

I noticed some oil rings on the surface when we visited the Arizona.

Yes, it does, according to the NPS about 9 quarts leak into Pearl Harbor every day. If you watch closely while you are on the memorial, you can see the small blobs rise to the surface and spread out. It quite fascinating to watch and adds even more to the emotional impact of visiting the memorial. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drowelf said:

Yes, it does, according to the NPS about 9 quarts leak into Pearl Harbor every day. If you watch closely while you are on the memorial, you can see the small blobs rise to the surface and spread out. It quite fascinating to watch and adds even more to the emotional impact of visiting the memorial. 

Yep.  This is a pic I took a few years ago when I visited the memorial.  

enhance

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cccole said:

Seacruise - Thank you for your post (#51).  What an amazing report.  When you are asked who you would invite to a small dinner I imagine that Captain Flath would be a person on the top of the list.  Thanks again, Cherie 

Being a pilot here in Canada I would rather Captain Flath be the pilot of the Search and Rescue Chopper if I ever went down. 😉

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Aquahound said:

This is a pic I took a few years ago when I visited the memorial

Seeing this site and seeing the oil rising to the surface was eerie for me both times that I have witnessed it.  The USS Arizona is surely a hallowed site.  

• Like 2

On 12/13/2020 at 1:42 PM, Heartgrove said:

Sailing RT from Port Alberni to Bamfield is available on the M.S. Frances Barkley on a regular basis. We sailed on her in 2010 and really enjoyed a "working" cruise. While laying over in Bamfield I swapped sea stories with the Canadian Coast Guard  crew at their station. Good times!

Do you know if the Lady Rose is still sailing?

8 hours ago, DeeDee Groff said:

Do you know if the Lady Rose is still sailing?

The website still  shows scheduled sailings during the week, plus it is the lifeline for supplies to the communities along it's route. There aren't roads connecting to the rest of Vancouver Island so it at times the Frances Barkley has transported vehicles on it's forward deck. Amazing to see a dirt road from the landing into the cluster of homes.

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

They are now evidently finding some more animals and birds affected by the slick.  A dead heron and a couple of sea otters they are trying to catch and take to an animal rescue place.

That's definitely a "Thanks" and not a "Like".

Roy

18 hours ago, Sososailer said:

Semper Paratus! 1975-79. My last duty station was right across from Vancouver Island, Neah Bay WA

Bender Blues! I was never issued them as I was short when the CG was transitioning to the new uniform. Started as an FN/EN after EN-A school and finished as an MK2. Served on a 311' and a small boat station.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2020 at 12:31 PM, Sososailer said:

Semper Paratus! 1975-79. My last duty station was right across from Vancouver Island, Neah Bay WA

8 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Bender Blues! I was never issued them as I was short when the CG was transitioning to the new uniform. Started as an FN/EN after EN-A school and finished as an MK2. Served on a 311' and a small boat station.

Good to see fellow Coasties here.  Got out as a BM1 in 2000.  I still work for them in a civilian capacity today.  Soso, Neah Bay is part of my AOR today.  🙂

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

For those that were interested in this thread, I thought I would provide an update. 

The residual oil has now been pumped out of the wreck which is great news. Sounds as though a good job was done by the US company.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/mv-shiedyk-oil-leak-contained-cleaned-coast-1.6099396

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 9:07 PM, bcummin said:

Gold River is indeed special.  In the late 1970's friends inspired us to drive with our daughters to Gold River.  We parked the VW bus and took the mail boat around Nootka Sound.  Spent the night in the town at the end of the route.  Good memories.

Barbara

I live in Courtenay, on Vancouver Island, 2 hour drive away.  There is still a freight ship, the MV Uchuck that takes passengers on day tours. They also drop off/pick up kayakers in the middle of Nootka Sound.

https://www.getwest.ca/

chuck2.jpg

chuck1.jpg

chuck.jpg