Who's booked for September 2021?

HappyInVan

17 minutes ago, kavok said:

. Those from the less wealthier nations (which is where a significant number of the crew comes from) will lag behind in vaccine access.

Money talks - the Cruise Lines will see that the crew has access to the vaccinations once onboard before paying customers come on board  - regardless of which countries they come from - tested, quarantined, vaccinated, tested

• Like 2

If CVS' rollout has shown us anything,  where there's a profit motive there's a way. CVS has given all senior living residents & staff the 1st shot in my home town. Gotta watch that bottom line. Newsome still says we're just in Phase 1A of vaccination schedule but apparently not. Especially since he just authorized dental office to distribute. I bring this up because cruise ships might tap into this pipeline (or the one in India) to accelerate pace. I think there will be short cruises (under 7 days) first but not until mid-late summer.

I'm 1C, S is 1B-1st phase. Many 1A in Santa Clara County opted out so my sister (1B) got hers (high risk OB provider but under 70)

@voljeepbeat me to it!! 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You make a valid point , however have all the crew not been at sea for the past for at least 5-6 months ..?

not 100% sure how it all works but just a thought , these staff/crew members should have in affect been “isolating” 

1 minute ago, Deb24370 said:

You make a valid point , however have all the crew not been at sea for the past for at least 5-6 months ..?

not 100% sure how it all works but just a thought , these staff/crew members should have in affect been “isolating” 

From what I understand, most crew were sent home and the ships have been kept with minimal crew

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deb24370 said:

"all the crew" - only enough to keep the ships hanging out without passengers on board is all, but some have posted that additional crew will soon be boarding 

On 12/30/2020 at 9:40 AM, pcur said:

Right now, as long as bookings are made before 1/31/21 they can be moved to other dates with no penalty. 

Is this for Princess?  We have a May 2021 AK cruise booked - transferred from our May 2020 that was cancelled.  Honestly, I hope it's cancelled - don't want to be one of the first people to sail.  I would love to move it to 2022 if we could.  We also have a CCL Sep 2021 and Dec 2021 booked.  Vaccinations are very slow in our area, too.  Doesn't seem like the powers that be thought through the logistics of it all - but it is a very large undertaking for sure.

On 12/31/2020 at 10:55 AM, shel003 said:

I’m booked in September for the Oktoberfest itinerary. 🤞🏻That things will be better and I’ll get to go. Planning on getting vaccinated when it’s available to my group.

We are booked on it also. They canceled the same cruise 2020 for us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

Money talks - the Cruise Lines will see that the crew has access to the vaccinations once onboard before paying customers come on board  - regardless of which countries they come from - tested, quarantined, vaccinated, tested

Agreed that money talks, and that cruise lines will make sure the crew is vaccinated... hopefully before paying customers come on board. The question is not if, but when.

But my speculation is that a significant portion of the wealthier nations will have a vaccination available to their entire population (at least those adults who want it) BEFORE the cruise line company can get their crews access.  Even the linked article about Indonesia (thanks for sharing that!) indicates vaccines won’t start there until summer or fall. 

Using the “money talks” argument, my counter is that for the next 6-8 months at least.... whatever amount that Princess (or any of the cruise lines) would actually be willing to pay to vaccinate a crew member... there will be someone else out there willing to pay far more to get a vaccine for themself. And thus the money talks argument actually works against cruise ship most crews getting shots any time soon. 

Imagine a wealthy family from a country that does not have immediate vaccine access.  That family would likely be willing to pay far more to get a “vaccine on the market” than Princess will for a random crew member.  Even a healthy 30 year old from the USA/Canada/EU may (if it’s in the next few months) may be willing to pay to get a vaccine as opposed to a long wait until it’s their turn in the summer or fall.

There will be a point in time when enough people get vaccinated globally that the “market rate” for the vaccine will drop to a level the cruise lines are willing to pay for their crew.  My argument though... is that the point in time when Princess can afford to vaccine it’s crew will come at least months after the majority of the adults in USA/Canada/EU get vaccinated.  And if that is the case, what happens is say July when the majority of the USA may be vaccinated and willing to cruise, but the crew itself is not vaccinated yet?

Edited by kavok

36 minutes ago, kavok said:

There will be a point in time when enough people get vaccinated globally that the “market rate” for the vaccine will drop to a level the cruise lines are willing to pay for their crew.

The cost to the cruise line is negligible. The "expensive" vaccine runs something like $36 total for the two doses. Not a huge expense for Princess. Their issue would be availability.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The cost to the cruise line is negligible. The "expensive" vaccine runs something like $36 total for the two doses. Not a huge expense for Princess. Their issue would be availability.

Definitely.  My original point was that the ~$36 doses are not going to be available anytime soon for most of the ships crew members.  And that is what led to discussion from another poster that Princess will find vaccines on the market (which very well may happen).  The real question though is when, and at what cost.

My overall point, and why I posted in this thread, is that I think there is a very real possibility that come September (which is what the OP was asking about) , that a significant number of the adults (but not all) in the US/Canada/EU may be vaccinated and thus willing to cruise.  However at that same point in time, the crew on the ship will not be nor have much vaccine access yet.  In that scenario, what happens?  Does the ship still sail with 20% of the people onboard  (i.e the crew members) not vaccinated? 

Edited by kavok
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, kavok said:

Definitely.  My original point was that the ~$36 doses are not going to be available anytime soon for most of the ships crew members.  And that is what led to discussion from another poster that Princess will find vaccines on the market (which very well may happen).  The real question though is when, and at what cost.

My overall point, and why I posted in this thread, is that I think there is a very real possibility that come September (which is what the OP was asking about) , that a significant number of the adults (but not all) in the US/Canada/EU may be vaccinated and thus willing to cruise.  However at that same point in time, the crew on the ship will not be nor have much vaccine access yet.  In that scenario, what happens?  Does the ship still sail with 20% of the people onboard  (i.e the crew members) not vaccinated? 

Unless they are Indonesian, Russian, or another country prioritizing vaccinating workers over seniors 

Don't you think that all the cruise lines will have their employees vaccinated prior to being assigned a ship?  I don't think the CDC will allow any cruise lines to sail in and out of US ports without proof of vaccinations for both pax and crew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Potstech said:

And some states that criminals, strippers and exterminators over seniors

I can understand incarcerated as they cannot socially distance from each other or guards who leave prisons at the end of their shifts and mingle with the rest of us. But which precinct is innoculating 'strippers and exterminators over seniors' (prove please not just rumor mill)

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Wrong again. Check out California and Massachusetts to name just two. 

Actually, to back up Postech, I did hear on the radio (news) that in New York,

the prisoners were put ahead of Long Term Care residents for the vaccination.

Sad, but true. Long Term Care (Nursing Homes) residents are very high risk.

58 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Again --- post credible link regarding innoculating 'strippers and exterminators over seniors' (prove not just rumor mill)

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:
1 hour ago, Potstech said:

Again --- post credible link regarding innoculating 'strippers and exterminators over seniors' (prove not just rumor mill)

The nursing home staff & resident roll out is being accomplished by CVS and my California city is done. 

Edited by Ombud
  • Thanks 1