The Daily for Friday Jan 1, 2021 -- Happy New Year!!!

richwmn

42 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I’m adding scallops for a version of surf n’ turf. DH doesn’t like scallops, so I’ll take one for the team and eat his share for him. He also doesn’t drink wine, so I’ll help him out here, too. There is no limit to the sacrifices I make for the one I love. 😉

You deserve a medal for all those sacrifices you make 😉 😂 

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

My traditional New Year meal growing up was my Memere’s Tourtiere - Canadian French pork pie. I have yet to find one as good, and she kept her recipe secret. She would not even share it with her daughter. I know she did not use potatoes in hers, but I still have never been able to replicate it. I have never had any other “traditional” meal on New Years. Looking forward to seeing what everyone shares.  

My DW took over tourtiere duty after my father passed away in 2008.  He tended to like lots of spices which we have modified over the years, but in the interest of being original French Manitoba style, here was his recipe..  Makes 8  9" tourtieres

8-10 lbs ground pork

2 large onions chopped

3 tbsp Dijon mustard

1 cup celery chopped

4 cloves garlic minced

2 tsp salt

1 tsp Marjoram

Half tsp of each ground cloves, Mace, Pepper

3 Bouillon cubes mixed in a cup of boiling water

3 tbsp flour

Saute the onions, brown the pork,  add the celery and spices

Cover and bring to boil then simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.

Blend the bouillon. flour and add the Dijon. Return to boiling for a few minutes.  Set aside to cool while you make the pastry.  

Freeze the unbaked tourtieres for baking later.

Enjoy,

Elaine

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Jacqui,  @kazu,  we have the same china!  Actually, it's my mother's china, but as we sold our good china when we moved, I have been using hers.  

I love the pattern, Ann.  I’ve had mine for years.

42 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Your table looks lovely, very appetizing.  I have never prepared oysters in any way, but I do love them.  

We love oysters.  We just don’t like shucking them.  It’s a lot of work 😱. But they were very good.  They were harvested and delivered to us the same day!

• Like 8

Happy New Year to all from another 'silent one'!  I've been enjoying this thread since I discovered it about three months ago, and feel I know all of you by now.  It is so refreshing to be reading such an uplifting, on-going thread, instead of all the gloom and doom that seems so prevalent today!!!  Thanks to all contributors who are so loyal to each other.  Makes my heart smile.

No hangover today, lights out by eleven last night.  Dinner tonite will be fresh ahi tuna seared in sesame oil with sesame seeds, angel hair pasta with green onions - scallions - more sesame oil and seeds, and a salad.  Oh on this thread I don't even need to mention wine.  Of course, it goes without saying, doesn't it.

Donna

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Happy New Years from Texas!   Great quotes for my fellow travelers.  8 seems to be apropos for 2021.

1. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide

2. “Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing at all” – Helen Keller

3. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher

4. “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” – Mohammed

5. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” –Mark Twain

6. “Surely, of all the wonders of the world, the horizon is the greatest.” – Freya Stark

7. “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.” – Anthony Bourdain

8. “A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu 

9. “There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign” – Robert Louis Stevenson

Wonderful! 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Aubergebleu said:

Thanks  First post, and I couldn't figure out how to separate the quote from my comment...

No worries at all 😉   You’re doing just fine.  We were all new here once, too.  

That’s why I did the @.  I wouldn’t have been able to quote you.

Hope to see you posting more in the future 🤞 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I like the look of the pretzels.  But not if one serves 10 to 15 people!  It would have to be just a bit smaller...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Good morning and HAPPY NEW YEAR!  This year, you can’t say that too often.

We made it to midnight to make sure the year changed to 2021.  However, just to hedge our bets, we toasted the new year with bubbly when the ball dropped in NYC.  One glass so no hangover.

Usually, it takes me a day or two to get around to changing the calendars, but not this year.  The old ones were in the trash and the new ones up hung up by 12:20 am. 😀 👏

The celebration continued this morning with freshly baked coffee cake and mimosas.  Confession, the coffeecake was from a mix, but still good and light and fluffy.

Our traditional new year meal always includes blackeyed peas, and the last few years cabbage.  We normally have it with the leftover Christmas ham.  This year, the ham will be cooked later today, and the cabbage will be roasted.  I may add yellow squash to the menu.  Of course there will be wine and the last of the bubbly.

Today is sunny and right now 56 degrees F with a light breeze.  Weather wise, this is a good start to the year,  and a lot better than where we live in Texas just north of Waco.

Kazu, bloody Caesars may be a Canadian thing, but a cruising friend from Florida introduced DH to them on the Prinsendam several years ago.  He prefers them to bloody marys.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 17

Good morning and Happy new Year all!  Glad to meet the lurkers!  We had a lovely lobster dinner with champagne,  followed by a some Canadian goodies,  Nanaimo bars, butter tarts...

@kazu, love the Caesar too,  invented in Calgary and IMO far better than a Bloody Mary! 

Now concerned about dinner today, saw something about not having poultry as they scratch backward ,  don’t want any bad luck,lol!  

B22350A5-7070-46A9-B8A3-677C2CE41178.jpeg

• Like 16

38 minutes ago, Aubergebleu said:

Thank you so much! What a whopper of a first post - Welcome! 

I might try a fraction of the amounts. Otherwise, if I screw up, I would have wasted a lot of food.

Would I be stunned, if this was “the one”! Not something one expects to find on CC!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 5

Thank you Rich for keeping track of the ships and Roy for keeping the lists. Thank you all for the photos, recipes, stories and advice. In our neighborhood last night the fireworks went from 7pm to 1am  pretty much non-stop. I'm sure there will be more tonight. When I was a child my mom made lentil soup, using the bone from the fresh ham we had on Christmas, for New Year's Day. She would add slices of sausage or hotdogs. That wouldn't work for my DH who is a pescatarian, so he will be making a red lentil dal for our dinner today.😊

Happy New Year to all!

• Like 12

36 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Happy New Year to all from another 'silent one'!  I've been enjoying this thread since I discovered it about three months ago, and feel I know all of you by now.  It is so refreshing to be reading such an uplifting, on-going thread, instead of all the gloom and doom that seems so prevalent today!!!  Thanks to all contributors who are so loyal to each other.  Makes my heart smile.

No hangover today, lights out by eleven last night.  Dinner tonite will be fresh ahi tuna seared in sesame oil with sesame seeds, angel hair pasta with green onions - scallions - more sesame oil and seeds, and a salad.  Oh on this thread I don't even need to mention wine.  Of course, it goes without saying, doesn't it.

Donna

Welcome, Donna! BTW, your meal sounds great.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Love this one!  Thanks @StLouisCruisers

image.jpeg

I like it too.  The chick in front looks like he has a slight smile.  Happy little guy!

@Host Katany chance you could review and release my post on page 2 that is hidden?  It's the one with the Polar Plunge photos, not the penguin post which is post 30.

• Like 5

Happy New Year everyone!!!! No hangover here, I went to sleep early and slept straight through until 7.... then up and dog walking both at home and at the shelter. No fireworks here. Now home to prepare my New Year' s day meal of ham and black eyed peas and cornbread with cheddar cheese and Hatch green chilies. 

The year has started off well for me ..... had not heard from a cousin in London for some time. She is older than I am.... actually older than my sister so both of us were a bit worried. Found her email address buried in some other info and emailed her last night.... and she replied this morning!!! All is well, just UK postal problems. So I am starting 2021 on a good note.

Take care everyone. Help is on the way!!!!

Susan

• Like 18

Tourtière Québécoise

1  1/2 lb minced pork

1 small chopped onion

1 clove garlic minced

1/2  teaspoon salt, 1/2  teaspoon savory

1/4 teaspoon celery salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, I put a bit more.

1/2 cup  beef bouillon 

1 small grated potato

cook all ingredients in saucepan till thickened and meat is fully cooked, about 30 min. 

cool mixture, then spoon in pastry lined pie plate, cover with top crust, brush with egg wash and make 4 or 5 slits on top.

Bake at 400 F ,  around 20 minutes covered, another 15 minutes uncovered or until golden brown.

Note:  ground beef/veal/pork mix can also be used , or any of the three.

the original ,however, is pork only.

this recipe is by memory😄 herbs and spices quantity are to taste.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I like it too.  The chick in front looks like he has a slight smile.  Happy little guy!

@Host Katany chance you could review and release my post on page 2 that is hidden?  It's the one with the Polar Plunge photos, not the penguin post which is post 30.

Exactly my thinking!

• Like 4