The Daily for Friday Jan 1, 2021 -- Happy New Year!!!

richwmn

19 minutes ago, zigdilcru said:

okay here goes.... I am a lurker !   I am also not a computer person (I actually hate them) so I will probably never post a picture or a funny meme or cartoon because I really dont know how.  may I just say how much I appreciate all of you for giving me the best time of every day when I read what you are all up to. reading this column every day (for the last 5 or6 months) has kept me sane. I also think I may be on a future cruise with dfish (Debbie ?) on the new rotterdam sept 12 to the 19th. so maybe we will meet. That is if this covid will take a hike and we can all get back to some semblence of whatever the new normal is. I wish all of you-a Happy New Year and many thanks for all you do.   Linda  (and Gary the husband who hasbeen driving me nuts working from home for waaay too long) 

Welcome Linda & Gary THWHBDMNWFHFWTL!

That is a mouthful, Linda!😎

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

If you look at a listing of HAL threads, the next to last 2 fields in the line for each thread are the number of replies on the top line and the number of views (now 3.4K) right underneath it.  We are about to go to page 9.

Roy

Don’t you think there should be a drum roll?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Good evening everyone and Happy New Year!  Thank you for the Daily Rich.    I’m really late today and when I started the Daily it was 8 pages!  What?  And “Hot” too, crazy. At 7:00pm my time, even crazier, but just goes to show how welcoming and kind we are here on the Daily.  I started to read all the posts but decided after page two it would take too long so will read after I post. 

No hangover, just really tired. I promised DGD that I would stay up with her to ring in the New Year, then her dad, my DS, called her at 11:30, then kaboom, all sorts of fireworks. And the fireworks seemed to last forever. At one point I looked out one of our upstairs windows and saw a beautiful display in someone’s backyard. They didn’t finish until 12:30 or so. And while typing this I heard more fireworks. I think people are really wanting 2020 to be over and were celebrating the start of the year. Even my mother said there were lots of fireworks near her. 

Speaking of my Mom, the last round of testing out of 300 tested had 7 positive, 5 residents and 2 employees. All of Mom’s have been negative and she said they were going to test weekly.  I’m thinking this is in preparation for the vaccine. 

We don’t have a special menu for New Year’s Day but have had beans and cornbread sometimes. So tonight that is what is on the menu even though we aren’t really hungry, we had a late large lunch. 

Have a great evening everyone!  And welcome lurkers!  Now off to read this “Hot” thread!

• Like 10

I have been reading this thread each day for a while, and even posted once or twice.  We retired in Dec 2019, and expected to cruise in 2020, well, that “ship sailed”. 😂
My husband and I have been trying new recipes, making our own sourdough starter and bread.  For New Year day, we had a Soufflé’,  with homemade bread and Caesar Salad

We will miss our ski vacation this year also.   We are looking forward to the vaccine, so we can travel again

• Like 12

@Sharon in AZgood to hear your Mom will be getting her vaccine soon.  The facility my MIL is in has vaccinated 98% of the residents this week.  I imagine in 3 to 4 weeks they will administer the second dose.  I can't tell you what a relief it will be to not have to worry about whether she is going to come up positive on a Covid test.  She has been tested more than anyone else I know, once and even sometimes twice in a week for months now.

But when the director reported only 60% of the staff had been vaccinated because some of them are afraid of vaccines, or just plain anti-vaccine individuals, I thought why are you even allowed in a nursing home?  Things better change quick because I would bet a lot of families are going to be irate and complaining about it.  They probably think if the residents are vaccinated, why should I?  But what about the new elders who are brought into the facility as needed?  They might be susceptible to the virus.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Now that's quite a combination.  Talk about near polar opposites!

Roy

Yes, I know, but I enjoy both for different reasons.  I believe we sailed together once out of Baltimore.  Can’t remember if it was Grandeur or Enchantment.  As I recall it was an active roll call probably in March or April during some vacation time for me from school.  I am waiting, not so patiently, for Baltimore to open again.  Katherine 

• Like 5

Another lurker here. I've thought of posting a few times but didn't. I love this thread and check it out daily - often several times! It was a windy day today in the Pacific Northwest but little rain. That's supposed to change tonight. Dinner was salmon, baked potato and green beans. DH and I love to cruise, are close to Seattle (90 minute drive) so have only cruised from there. Happy New Year!

Karen

• Like 11

Nordic Captains seem to be an especially hardy species.  I remember from my Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage cruise Vice Captain Jan Rautawaara  would swim in the Icy waters off Nunuvut at each port.

Roy

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Another lurker here. I've thought of posting a few times but didn't. I love this thread and check it out daily - often several times! It was a windy day today in the Pacific Northwest but little rain. That's supposed to change tonight. Dinner was salmon, baked potato and green beans. DH and I love to cruise, are close to Seattle (90 minute drive) so have only cruised from there. Happy New Year!

Karen

Actually, you did at least once, back on August 29.  Welcome back.

Roy

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Karen

Hello, neighbor!  My niece lives in Sedro Woolley.  My hometown is Bellingham (still have family and friends there) and we're a little south of you in Lake Stevens. 🙂 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, kazu said:

I totally confess I changed our calendar last week.  After all the last few days of December were on it 😉 

Total confession time......I did too!  I had all my new calendars ready to go and couldn’t wait to change them. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Good Evening, 

Wishing everyone a very Happy and Healthy New Year!  We tried to stay up for the New Year, but about 11:30 I told hubby this is for the birds (I was trying to read a book and kept falling asleep!) I am not going to make it until midnight, so he shut off the TV and I was out! But then was up at 4:00am!

Puppy and I went out for an early walk and then back to watch TV and stayed quiet so we didn't wake hubby.

Spent the day doing "nothing"  did surf the cruise websites for some New Years dreaming, and adding to our bucket lists of where we might go in the future.

Keep safe and stay well!

Denise

• Like 13

5 hours ago, ernieb said:

Thanks to Rich and Roy for maintaining the Daily. I am a constant lurker and occasional poster that really appreciates your efforts. I only noticed one contribution (from Georgia) that mentioned our traditional New Years menu - Collard Greens and Black Eyed Peas. Ours will be in a soup form tonight. New Years is always special in our house since it is also my birthday. Happy New Year to everyone.

Happy Birthday!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

But when the director reported only 60% of the staff had been vaccinated because some of them are afraid of vaccines, or just plain anti-vaccine individuals, I thought why are you even allowed in a nursing home?  Things better change quick because I would bet a lot of families are going to be irate and complaining about it.  They probably think if the residents are vaccinated, why should I?  But what about the new elders who are brought into the facility as needed?  They might be susceptible to the virus.

I agree!  

From what I understand a business can require an employee to be vaccinated, but not every business/company will do that.  And there will be those who refuse vaccinations. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, zigdilcru said:

I also think I may be on a future cruise with dfish (Debbie ?) on the new rotterdam sept 12 to the 19th. so maybe we will meet.

Yes!  I sure hope we make it on that cruise.   Looking forward to meeting both of you on the Rotterdam!

• Like 5